PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-15-2024, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to adolfocaetnonetto
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting

Hello Everyone
My first post is a old mounting, I think also like 15 or 20 years.
I post hte images and some explication about materials and thecniques. If you want more information, you can ask and I answer, if I can.
And I apologize for my horrible english.
Ok. Lets go!
I mounting my models with lots different material: cardboard, paper, balsa wood, metal wires, plastic sprue, tiny waste; I use white and superglue; and my paints is acrilic for craftwork.

Until a few years ago, in Brazil, the internet was slow and expense. I used magazines and some few images download; with this material I was draw a three views plane.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-01.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-02.jpg

With the plane, I was drawing the pieces in cardboard, to later cut with scissors. In this case, in the superior wing, I cuted one piece and used this to cut the inferior side of the wing surface
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-03.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-04.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-05.jpg

To build the horizontal and vertical empennage, I cuted the pieces in cardboard and I glued over other cardboard; with three cardboard layers I cuted the ready pieces.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-06.jpg

Later I curved the wing pieces to obtain the wing leading edge.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-07.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-08.jpg

Here I glued foam pieces in the interior of the wings to obtain the correct thickness; I used white glue to attach the foam in the cardboard. Later I glued the leading edge of the superior and inferior surfaces of the wings, with white glue.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-09.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-10.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-11.jpg

After the glue has dry, I applied more glue in the wings trailing edge
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-12.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-13.jpg

To build the fuselage the process is the same; I cut the surfaces (in this case, the inferior and the laterals, and I glued it, using some cardboard strips to join the different pieces (I call this strips internal reinforcements, a pompous name...). You can see this strips, the white cardboard in the interior edge of the fuselage.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-14.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-15.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-16.jpg

Here I built the engine fairing. A simple cardboard circle, with
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-17.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-18.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-19.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-20.jpg

Last edited by adolfocaetnonetto; 04-16-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2024, 05:45 PM

And here is the fuselage almost ready
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-21.jpg

Editing the post, incluigind more images.
The engine. at this time I was mounting the engines like this, with a central balsa wood piece, and some toothpick to piston. A simple method, but at the time I thought it was good.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-22.jpg

Engine painted, fairing and engine mounted on fuselage.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-23.jpg

Wheels, propeler and empennages. All this pieces are made like the empennages, in a process with lamination, where I glue some cardboard layers until I have the desired thickness.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-24.jpg

inferior wings being glued; first I glue with white glue/ later I used supercola to give strength. In this images you see that I sanded the model.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-25.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-26.jpg

Superior wings, wings mounts, propeler and landing gear.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-27.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-28.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-29.jpg

Last edited by adolfocaetnonetto; 04-16-2024 at 10:08 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Great work as always my friend! What livery you choose?
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Location: Tultepec,Estado de México; about 30 Km to downtown Mexico, City
Total Downloaded: 1.36 GB
Welcome to this Forum Adolfo; eagerly waiting for color scheme.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomidefilho View Post
Great work as always my friend! What livery you choose?
Livery? I Dont know what this mean! Is this camouflage? If yes, I show it now!
I planned to build a generic aircraft of the RAF;
So . I paint my models with acrilic paint for craftwork - god result (for my purpose), and I found in my city (that is small city), and its cheap (and I'm cheapskate - I loved the sound of this word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
You see the result - at this time, I appreciate, now I dont like it. In time, I forgot show the machine guns bulding; every gun is a simple toothpick, with a tiny piece of eletric wire in the front to look like the barrel tip.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-30.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-31.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-32.jpg

Here I cut of the rudder, to make the color scheme of the strips. The strips and the wings insignia (its correct? In Brazil they called "cocar") was printed in a common paper (A4 white) and glued in the place.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-33.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-34.jpg
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I enjoyed working through your step-by-step images and narrative.

Looks good.

Don
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Well done.
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Insignia is correct, also 'national markings' or 'roundals'

This build has been great to see, it reminds me of how I used to build aircraft before I could find models on the internet or use drawing software to make them.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Thanks everybody! The most diffuclt to me is the language. Thanks for the patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwi View Post
Insignia is correct, also 'national markings' or 'roundals'.
Siwi, roundals is the word that I search!!!!!!!!!! . Thanks!

Lets go for more. Here I made the wings cables (How called this things in english? In portuguese they called "tirantes"). This cables was made with metallic wire; this wire is a orthodontic wire, called metallic ligature, and is very thin (in time, I'm a dentist, orthodontist, so I heve this things). The result is good, but the material is hard to work (lots of injured in the fingers!!!)
But at the moment, I used sewing thread; I unreval the thread and I apply superglue on the wire; later I paint this thread with metallic paint. I will show this in other posting.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-35.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-36.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-37.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-38.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-39.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-40.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-40.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-41.jpg

And the aircraft is ready, as left the factory.
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-43.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-44.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-47.jpg

And I made wheatering, with dry bush and wash thecniques. Et voilá! Straight from the West Front!
Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-51.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-50.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-52.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-53.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-54.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-55.jpg Sopwith Camel 1/100 scratchbuilting-camel-56.jpg

Tags
1/100 scale, scratchbuilder