PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-16-2024, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.85 MB
SR-71 Blackbird; MP Model; 1/33

The SR 71 Blackbird was a unique aircraft. After a drought of many years, two new models of this plane have appeared in recent years.
I even bought and printed some pages of KenlWest's SR 71 but with the appearance of new models I decided to buy the first one that became available.
I hope I don't regret it.
The model:
The model comes in an A3 format book with almost 20 sheets, including 1 with the story and instructions written in Polish and two more pages with assembly diagrams that are super basic, in other words, bad. There is a lot left unexplained with the instructions provided and it feels like we are putting together the puzzle trying to figure out where and how many of the pieces are going to be molded and glued together. The plane has 729 pieces and will measure 99cm x 51cm.
This model is assembled in a similar way to the hull of a ship, with a cardboard “skeleton” that is then covered with paper pieces that form the model's covering.
I confess that this model makes me very skeptical about its quality and especially in terms of the fit of the pieces. Still, the desire to assemble it is great.
I started the model by assembling the skeleton of the front part of the cockpit. The cardboard pieces were laser cut and so far everything fits perfectly. I have now added the pieces that line the interior of the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
SR-71 Blackbird; MP Model; 1/33-sr71-1.jpg   SR-71 Blackbird; MP Model; 1/33-sr71-3.jpg   SR-71 Blackbird; MP Model; 1/33-sr71-4.jpg   SR-71 Blackbird; MP Model; 1/33-sr71-5.jpg   SR-71 Blackbird; MP Model; 1/33-sr71-6.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-16-2024, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
This is a major undertaking I will watch with interest. I believe this is the same model as Marek published under the Model Cardboard label available from eCardModels.com - if the serial number on the tail is 17967, then it is. I have the Model Cardboard version and it is somewhat lacking in instructions and assembly diagrams. Good luck and I am following with great interest.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Good luck with the Blackbird. It will be an interesting build.

It looks like you have laser cut formers. Those would hurt the fingers if you had to cut them all from 1mm card.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-16-2024, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
I don't know if you considered one of the final card models designed by the late Karl Wittrich, designer and owner of the pioneer 1/33 scale card model aircraft company GELI. I have it and it also an excellent model, Not too hard to build and with excellent fits and very accurate. The photo shows Herr Wittrich with his un-colored prototype.
Attached Thumbnails
SR-71 Blackbird; MP Model; 1/33-karl-wittrich..jpg  
Old 03-21-2024, 09:55 AM

Thank you to all for your comments.

YankeeBoy - Yes it is the same model. I will need all the luck and hability to make this model.

MacSongLi - I like to cut the card parts. I use laser cut formers mostly because they save me time. Well, and the fingers also.

Petestein - No, I didn't consider the GELI model. Also I didnīt find it on sale. If know that I would consider it.
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2024, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
Thank you to all for your comments.

Petestein - No, I didn't consider the GELI model. Also I didnīt find it on sale. If know that I would consider it.
The next time, try something called internet. Here is Geli's webpage.,

GELI | Modellbau – Technische Modellbogen

Also check each beautifully made Geli model aircraft in 1/33 scale

Geli.htm

Best wishes
Old 03-22-2024, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Tino,
Count me in to follow the thread As you know, I have a copy of that kit but no plans to build it in the near future. Anyway, it will be instructive because, as you said, the assembly diagrams could be much more informative. I also got the feeling that the designer didn't invest much on easing the modeller's task. So, good luck!
Old 03-25-2024, 07:08 AM

Thank you Ricardo. I hope to somehow manage to build this challenging model into something that all can see.