PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
First roadblock...

I was looking at the instructions over lunch today to figure out the next few days of building when I found something that has me confused. Hoping someone here can straighten me out.

In the lower left corner of instruction sheet 2 (the first attached picture) the instrument panel bulkhead has a bulkhead like piece below it, the semi-circle shaped piece with the vertical line.

i can't find that piece in the parts sheets. I've also attached the relevant part sheet that has cockpit and bulkhead pieces.

The part label on the instructions, when I look up that part on the part sheet it doesn't seem to match the image.

The lower half of the instrument panel lines up well with the bulkhead for the set, so I suppose I could use that as a template if I have to...

Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
1/33 Spitfire Mk.Va build-instr.-02.jpg   1/33 Spitfire Mk.Va build-sheet-2.jpg  
Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.98 MB
Don't worry, the instruction doesn't match the elements. Just continue, it fits perfectly.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinynorman View Post
Don't worry, the instruction doesn't match the elements. Just continue, it fits perfectly.
Ok, I was concerned about running into issues later getting the skin of the fuselage to contour properly. Am I likely to find that to be a non-issue when the time comes?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.98 MB
Yes, everything fits perfectly, just carefully allign the cockpit floor with the lines on the lower parts of the bulkhead.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 AM

Its been a while, but I've made some progress. I finished the cockpit, with a few do-overs when I messed up some pieces/assemblies.

I made sure to take my time, and make sure everything was ready before glueing, which made things turn out well. I'm very very satisfied. I also began setting pieces aside while the glue set up and then moving onto other pieces and alternating back and forth like that. My theory was that if the glue sets a bit, it'll be easier to handle pieces without parts sliding around etc.

Last night I put all the pieces together and successfully wrapped the skin around the cockpit and the bulkhead. I took your advice and sanded the bulkhead in the front down a little so the skin would fit around it better since there was a slight gap.

I'm very pleased with how it looked this morning. Its surprisingly solid for something made out of paper.

One edge didn't quite glue well to the bulkhead, it peeled up about 1/8 of an inch. Tonight I'll reglue and use a small piece of scotch tape to hold it in place. I'll also be working on the next fuselage segments and hopefully completing 1 or 2.
Attached Thumbnails
1/33 Spitfire Mk.Va build-dscf3352.jpg   1/33 Spitfire Mk.Va build-dscf3354.jpg   1/33 Spitfire Mk.Va build-dscf3356.jpg   1/33 Spitfire Mk.Va build-dscf3357.jpg   1/33 Spitfire Mk.Va build-dscf3359.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Looking good. When you use tape to hold something in place, do try it on some scrap piece of printed patterns first. Different tapes have a nasty habit of peeling off some of the skin surface. You will not be pleased...

I use masking tape. But even then you will have to take care not to press it down to hard, and to peel it off carefully.

Good luck! - Leif

PS. You've got to explore your options for camera settings a bit, wouldn't you agree? Any chance of a macro setting somewhere in there? As you get more into this business of sharing photos, you will benefit greatly from a simple tripod, and always, always using the self-exposure option. It eliminates bluriness caused from shaking in low light conditions, and also enables you to get your hands and handling of parts into the photos.

No offence intended. Now go on with your fine build!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 AM

Masking tape, good point. I used drafting tape all the time in college, how quickly I forget such basic things. Thanks!

The area in question is not going to be visible in the end. The wing assembly will be covering it up.

Thanks for the tips about pictures. I'll explore the options on the camera, and hopefully have some better ones in the next post.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Great job on the cockpit, it look beautiful.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.66 MB
so far looking good. nice job

Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
I agree... your progress is looking very nice.
Google Adsense