PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like the outfit IS defunct. I got this when I clicked on the "enter" link: "Dear Visitors, Our Online Store has been taken offline, and at this time we do not sell our card models anymore. We do appologize for any inconvenience. Thank you."

Don
Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Fitter did several SPAD VII models in 1:33 - should be available at eCardModels.com
Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBoy View Post
Fitter did several SPAD VII models in 1:33 - should be available at eCardModels.com
Yes, but unfortunately (like I said earlier in post #5), Fitter's repaints of the Bucher models do not include the model I'm looking for.

Will44 - again appreciate your links (!), and had already been there too only to find what Don did - the site is essentially closed for sales However, I'll try to contact the (former) operators. I've done some of the Gabriel models before (like the Mig-15 that I scaled up into a RC flying model), and they were excellent!

Gene K
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Just a note about what I do with paper models and the reason I 'm looking for this one particular model - I build flying RC models using paper models as a base. Most recently I've been using skins from an outstanding WWI simulator (a game, but "simulator" sounds more mature) called Rise of Flight. "Skins" are the graphics that the computer wraps around 3-D models, for example, here's one of many ROF Spad VII skins:

I tweak the graphics (ala a paper model) and make sure everything is sized to the same relative scale (not usually the case). Then proceed to print the skin onto tissue which I mount onto foam ... and build an airplane. Takes a little time, but very rewarding - here are some models my friend Pete (mtflyr) did using ROF-based parts I sent him:

At any rate, I'm taking a break from ROF skins and would like to start an RC build using an outstanding Spad model - hence the search for Steve's model.

Thanks for all the inputs - much appreciated.

Gene

Last edited by Gene K; 08-06-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey Gene,

That's great, as you know I also have wanted to do an RC SPAD again with your help. Though with all the Frank Luke history you sent me you know I have to do his. I'll call you

Pete AKA Mtflyr
Google Adsense
Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
The technique of printing patterns (from a sim, or from a paper model) on tissue paper, then glue this on foam seems be a most fascinating and ingenious way of combining the best of two worlds. Do, please, both of you, continue reporting on your exploits. This must be the way to get "paper" models airborne. - Leif
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.68 GB
You can find a 1-72 model of Adj. Jaques Roques SPAD VII of Escadrille SPA 48 here:
jb models
Lots of detail. Maybe you can enlarge it to 1-32.

btw. I have the model you are looking for.
Is it possible to share, because it is not for sale anymore?
Just for once?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbirulina View Post
You can find a 1-72 model of Adj. Jaques Roques SPAD VII of Escadrille SPA 48 here: ....Maybe you can enlarge it to 1-32.
Thanks - I already have that excellent model (actually three models in one package). Outstanding detail, but I'd have to enlarge it beyond 1/32 - to approximately 1/22!

Quote:
btw. I have the model you are looking for.
I sincerely appreciate your offer to possibly share the model, but I don't want us to inadvertently traipse into the arena of discussing copyright on out-of-production items - too many vehement opinions on both sides of that issue, for sure.

As it is, the great news for me is that the designer himself, Steve Bucher, contacted me as a result of reading this thread, and he graciously helped me get a copy of the model I was looking for!!! I was floored when I got his PM, of course, but it all highlights how wonderful the folks on Paper Modelers are. In that regard, this site is one of the friendliest, most helpful group of hobbyists out there!!

My thanks to everyone who offered hints, links, and winks.

Gene K
Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Gene, please, one more thing - seeing the photos of the models made by using skins from sim models, I noticed the pilot figures, which seemed remarkably good. Now you state your scale as being large, I am even more intrigued. Any chance of some tips on how to make realistic pilot figures large scales (like 1/16...)? - Leif
Old 08-07-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Any chance of some tips on how to make realistic pilot figures large scales (like 1/16...)?
Leif,

My friend Pete is the artist, sculpting and casting the flying characters, so I'll let him reply on his particular techniques. Not sure the largest scale he's done, but most of our joint WWI birds are "only" between 1/20 and 1/22.

Pete has posted about his sculpting on several threads over at RCGroups - I'm sure he'll give you the best links there.

Gene K
Google Adsense