PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 103.02 MB
Wright Bros. Flyer by Schreiber

Hello everybody.
I have just received the beautiful Wright Flyer by Schreiber. However, I'm extremely dissapointed. Despite the fact that this printer has perhaps some of the best models around, I have found that this model is almost impossible to build. I started assembling the wings and I have ruined two sets!! Fortunately, I never start a paper model without first scanning. I printed another set of wings and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the anhedral (wings' droop) and at the same time the airfoil section. The instructions say nothing on this problem so I decided to ask you nice paper modellers who perhaps have made this model and tell me what solution can be used in order to get the peculiar shape of this model's wings. Thanks!!
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I'm not familiar with this model. Is it possible to post a photo to help us see the problem?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
I have a plastic model of the Flyer and know what your talking about, the wings droop out to the tips. I can see where this will be a problem, paper not wanting to bend in two directions at once! wish I could offer you some cure but i can think of nothing other than cutting and putting in a droop that way......Rich
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
I've built more models of the wright Flyer 1 than I can recall. All but one had the anhedrial built into the kit. I had to redesign the main cross spars if I wanted it to look right. In most cases I didn't.

It's a big project to try and fix this problem, I'd like to see how you solve it. Please keep us informed of your solution, and good luck.

SFX
Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
You could give this a try. To form parts I use a burnishing tool. This tool is made from a plastic hollow tube with a glass marble super glued to the end. The tube is from a roll of doggie pickup bags and the marble I picked up at Michaels (along with a hundred others). This and an old mouse pad (rubber side up) works quite well.

The next photo shows how a wing can be formed with this tool. You can get the paper to deform on the long side but not as much as in the short side. The reason has to do with direction of the grain of the paper. To increase the droop I added some darts. With the edges glued the wing is deformed in two axes. Of course you should narrow darts and more of them. Adding a very small amount of moisture will help in forming the part.

Experiment first then make the part.

Jim Nunn
Attached Thumbnails
Wright Bros. Flyer by Schreiber-tool-pad.jpg   Wright Bros. Flyer by Schreiber-no-darts.jpg   Wright Bros. Flyer by Schreiber-wing-darts.jpg   Wright Bros. Flyer by Schreiber-glued-darts.jpg   Wright Bros. Flyer by Schreiber-edge-view.jpg  

Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
good luck with the model.

YOAV
Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
You could give this a try. To form parts I use a burnishing tool. This tool is made from a plastic hollow tube with a glass marble super glued to the end. The tube is from a roll of doggie pickup bags and the marble I picked up at Michaels (along with a hundred others). This and an old mouse pad (rubber side up) works quite well.

The next photo shows how a wing can be formed with this tool. You can get the paper to deform on the long side but not as much as in the short side. The reason has to do with direction of the grain of the paper. To increase the droop I added some darts. With the edges glued the wing is deformed in two axes. Of course you should narrow darts and more of them. Adding a very small amount of moisture will help in forming the part.

Experiment first then make the part.

Jim Nunn
That marble glued to a tube is brilliant. Thanks for the idea Jim. Now, I know I've got a few lost marbles around here somewhere....

Steve
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I've got a set of leather embossing tools that I use a lot on paper, but I've always wanted some bigger diameter ones. I've been thinking along the lines of getting some various size ball bearings welded onto nails, but glass marbles just glued onto a tube ... brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

Johnny.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.62 MB
The marble idea is a great one. but larger marbles are harder to get nowadays then when I was younger.
Something I use is a Dapping set used in the jewelry hobby.

Not only get the various size ball tools, 1mm to 24mm, but the various tool shaft diameters are also handy.

Jim
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
What Jim Nunn says, is good advice. The slits require great accuracy, and you must cut out as thin a slice as possible.
Another way to get double curvature in paper (that's what you're actually looking for) is to make a mould, for instance from wood, that you sand in the required wing profile in the short direction and wing droop in the long one. It takes some sanding, but it works. Then moisten the paper part on the backside and press on the mould with a cloth or a piece of plastic foam and fix it in place with rubber bands. The next day you'll have a beautiful shaped wing. I did this for shaping the double curves on forward ship hulls. If the thread on the ss Nieuw Amsterdam in the Ship section is still available, you can see the pictures. Good luck
Google Adsense