PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
F6F-3K Crossroads Drone - Burned Offerings Frames

OK......... since Russ has got a great thread going on Marek's F6F-5 and Ron's frames,

Marek 1/33 Hellcat with Burned Offerings frames...

I thought I would switch and do a '3' model with the frames. Since I already had the F6F-3K Crossroads Drone I though what the heck. Same scale 1/33 just a different model and color scheme. Also it is made to print on A4 paper, so I had to use US Legal size paper.

Now if there is any frame to model discrepancies, please note that it IS NOT Ron's fault as the stated laser cut frames are for the F6F-5 model.

OK.........on with the build. And I'm stating now I'm not a great builder, so expect glue smudges......... they come from having big clumsy fingers.

As anyone who knows me will asses to the fact I HATE petal parts, I started with the drop tank because of this and wanted to get it out of the way before any aggravation has time to creep in.

I must state now that because of the small nature of these petals I think everything went fine with them. And the frames from Ron's sheets fit with no problems. I wasn't expecting any because the drop tank should be the same.

This is the first time I have had any dealings with laser cut frames and I must say right now that "I Like Them!!" No more cutting cardboard and having to trim to fit. Cut one or two teeny tiny attachments and you have a perfectly cut frame ready to glue in......... NICE!

I also liked the fact that so far most of the frames are labeled on the frame and it makes it easier for me to keep them in order to go in the right part. I'm not very organized and need all the help I can get.
Attached Thumbnails
F6F-3K Crossroads Drone - Burned Offerings Frames-f6f-3-usa-05-1.jpg   F6F-3K Crossroads Drone - Burned Offerings Frames-100_2228.jpg  

My Drawings
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
For someone who hates "petal" parts, that sure looks good.. I would be more then happy with those results!!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I second Peter's comment, those petals look awesome! I hate 'em with a passion too.
It's great to see another F6F build going. I can't wait for more!

Ron
Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very nice work, John!

I am glad that you are doing a -3. I have many Marek F6F-3s on hand and when my frames arrive, I hope to begin the VF-9 Essex summer of '43 version since I am currently immersed in reading and research on the 1942-43 South Pacific and Southwest Pacific operations and the preparations for the 1944 Central Pacific thrust made possible in part by the coming on line of the Two-Ocean Navy construction, including Essex and sisters. As you know, the Essex August Marcus raid (followed by the October and November strikes against Wake and Rabaul) was the shakedown operation and precursor of the Gilberts-Marshalls-Marianas campaigns.

Film clip: British Pathe news reporting a 1943 U.S. carrier attack on Wake Island. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-war-in-the-pacific-1

You and Russ are setting the standard for any Hellcat build that I might attempt.

Don
Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Off to great start John!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.61 MB
Welcome to the party John! Good looking bird!

russ...
Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks guys!

Russ - I hope I can do as well as you are.

Ray - Thanks!

Don - Russ sure is, I only hope to do as well!

eatcrow2 & Ron - Thanks for the complements, but I do HATE petals. I just got lucky with these.

My Drawings
Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
John, looking good. Nice to see I'm not the only one wasting away a Sunday butchering paper. I have a good excuse...lots of thunder bumpers moving through the area...at times reminiscent of cows and flat rocks.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Darwin! What else is there to do on a rainy day!

OK......... next wheels and landing gear. Again not my favorite things, so therefor get em' done first. Planes are supposed to be in the air not on the ground!

The instructions don't list part 74B but it ain't hard to figure out. Part order from outside to inside of tire is 74 - 74B - 74A - 74C - 74. Don't forget to cut the inner rim color from the original part 74C to glue to your laser cut part 74C.

Picture show a glue up wheel before sandpaper shaping and after, also the beginnings of the landing gear strut (glued up with a round toothpick inside)
Attached Thumbnails
F6F-3K Crossroads Drone - Burned Offerings Frames-100_2230.jpg  

My Drawings
Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Thanks for doing the -3 version, I have this one (VF-9 Essex '43) and was thinking of using the laser cut frames. Will be watching.......Rich