PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
HO scale aircraft?

Have any of the model railroaders here seen much use of paper aircraft models in HO scale train layouts? The only plastic HO aircraft kits I can think of are the few done by ROCO. One of the great things about paper models is the scalability. I have done a build of the 307 Stratoliner in 1/48, 1/72 and 1/87 scale. What I have been thinking of doing is to build a simple, small diorama with the 1/87 scale 307 utilizing commercial plastic HO scale accessories to show the flexibility of the paper kits. I’d then like to post photos of it to some railroad modeling boards. Has anyone tried this before? And if so, with what kind of success? Are there any suggestions where to post photos of the completed diorama? I figure anything to progress our hobby is a good thing. Any thoughts?

Google Adsense
Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I once saw a small airport (think FG Hangar/Private Air Strip). I wish I remembered where I saw it, but they had one of the planes rigged to go back and forth above the layout, from one corner to the other, then back again. It was very cool (also several decades ago)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Great Idea! I foresee lots of stuff for the new Diorama & Bases Category in the Downloads Section!

My Drawings
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
This is a really good idea. A couple of years ago I tried to enthuse people for it (at the time, I was mainly with Kartonbau.de - see this entire thread devoted to the subject; in English).

As you say, the advantages are many - in general, fitting into a whole world of models made of other stuff than paper. For me it was the availability of plastic figures that was the greatest advantage.

I did not build many models, but devoted much time to scale down existing models and making my own small kits of them, in picture postcard format (which was the original idea with Fiddlers Green, remember?). Suddenly, the use of genuine photo paper in varying thicknesses seemed affordable, another advantage.

Just to support your idea, here are some photos of the one model I've kept, a free download of PWS-50 from Modele Kartonowe, some figures (both plastic and paper), and my kit of it, on a single A4 sheet:

- Leif
Attached Thumbnails
HO scale aircraft?-pws50-3.jpg   HO scale aircraft?-pws50-87-72-250.jpg   HO scale aircraft?-pws-50-figures.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Leif Ohlsson once published a lot of material on paper modeling in 1/87. I am away from my home computer and can't refer to the info that I downloaded at the time, so am not sure if it was in this forum or elsewhere. But it would be relevant to this discussion. Added: And there it is! We were posting at almost the same time. There is a Korean expression: "Speak of a magpie, and the magpie chirps." I'm glad to see this material again, Leif. It was my first introduction to you as a paper modeler.

John - Your civil aircraft would certainly fit in with a 1/87 diorama.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
What a great idea, John. I used to do HO model railroading, but gradually got out. The main reason was I couldn't afford all the plastic kits, etc, to do a realistic layout. Since I discovered paper modeling I've been tempted to do some down scaling to 1/87th, and get back into model railroading. Hope you are able to come up with something. Love your FG models, by the way.

Garland
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
Facing the challenge of being interested in aircraft and my dad running HO trains, I found it exciting to find a way to combine them. After inheriting the trains with paper sided cars and paper structures, Labor Saving Devices (LSD)(computers), the challenge was to find something to scale for the airfield. Some of the things in HO gauge are the Stinson Model U tri-motor, Boeing Model 40 and Model 80 tri-motor, DC-3. Recently I just finished the Ford tri-motor and Beech Staggerwing in S gauge (1/64) for the Wichita Toy Train Club. Current challenge is a Vought Corsair in S gauge. Then maybe a ferry boat to transfer cars from train module to another. Have to wait to see what time will bring.

Bob Neill
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
New 1:87 versions of the Spitfire IX to download

Inspired by John's call for 1/87 HO scale aircraft models, I rescaled & slightly revised the exisiting 1/48 scale models of the Spitfire IX in three versions, previously available in the downloads section. The new 1/87 scale versions are now available.

Go to this post in the original Spitfire IX thread, for more about the models, and direct links to the downloads section.

Leif
Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Thanks for the interesting responses. An aircraft rigged to “fly” over a layout would be pretty neat. With the small motors available I would imagine it would be possible to have the props spinning.

Leif, that is a real sharp looking little model. And those card figures are really effective. And thanks for the Spitfires!

I would imagine HO scale has one of the widest selections of subjects available, except for airplanes. Some of the ones Bob points out are nice but pricey. I think the DC-3 is around $50.00? One of the big bonuses of HO scale is the number of vehicles, especially civilian that are available from different eras. That is one reason I wanted to try the Stratoliner. I’ve already found a nice early 40’s tanker truck for my diorama.

This diorama will be an ongoing project as I plan to dedicate most of my time to the B-17 kits. But I’ll post photos of how it progresses.

Thanks again, John
Old 08-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Well, the Boeing 737 (at least the fuselage) would be a good choice:

Boeing 737 flat car load #1
Boeing 737 flat car load #2
Boeing 737 flat car load #3
Boeing 737 flat car load #4

These are all Next Generation (-700/800/900) aircraft, the older (-300/400/500) were shipped in two pieces.

Also, I can't find the link right now, but I know there's a picture of a P-8 Poseidon fuselage being shipped this way as well (similar to the -800 fuselage, just different windows/doors).

Edit: Just found this page.

(The Oddball 707 would be an excellent choice for a starting point for these!)

Also, the 757 cockpit assemblies were shipped by rail as well (have a picture... somewhere.

The Santa Fe Railway operated some DC-4 aircraft under the "Santa Fe Skyways" name (until federal regulators forced them to quit in 1947).