PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale

John Dell's thread "HO scale aircraft?" spurred a kindling interest of taking up the challenge. In that thread I mentioned some previous work done many years ago, and also made new 1/87 versions of the Spitfire IX that Nobi allowed me to rework a few years back.

Since then, I've started on a couple of other models, and asked their authors for permission to publish my reworked kits in 1/87 scale. I've already got enough permissions to last me a good long time, but we'll take it one step at a time. Suggestions and offers are very welcome!

The thing is, that in this small scale it is really tempting to make the kits correspondingly smaller. The standard format I've settled on is 5x7 inches (large picture postcard size, 13x18 cm). The nice thing about this format is that you can print two kit pages on one sheet of either A4 or Letter size paper with ample margins. And you only have to use photo quality paper for the section of the model that contains parts, often only the two last pages of the kit (which can be printed on a single regular size sheet of paper).

I also aim to include background material on each aircraft and at least one high-quality photo (with permission) for each model, at best of the exact aircraft modeled. Links to sources, both for original sources, background text, and photos will be included in the pdf downloads that will appear in the downloads section eventually.

Permissions take time, so we'll start slowly. The first model is awaiting moderation at the downloads section. I'll get back when it is cleared. Until then, this thread starter will function as a place marker.

Leif
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
OK........... curiosity meter is pegged!

My Drawings
Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
The first model is awaiting moderation at the downloads section. I'll get back when it is cleared. Until then, this thread starter will function as a place marker.

Leif
Cleared Leif.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Very nice model Leif! I love yellow airplanes and this one is iconic. That it's a TSMC model is a nice plus. Should make for an easy and pleasurable build.

Curt
Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.48 MB
Sound great...make me want to design in this scale.
Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 GB
As most railway dioramas in 1/87 scale are civil diorama , I think it will be interesting to have light aircraft , ULMs , do it yourself planes and with open canopy if possible to avoid the paper canopy problem (like Kiebitz , Flitzer , Acrolite1T ...).
Old 09-05-2013, 03:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
1/87 scale Piper J3 Cub (TSMC model)

Curt, Nobi - thanks guys, for being interested!

Good suggestion, Jan, with the civil aircraft models; reflects my own thinking. Again, I would gladly accept pointers to specific models, free downloads, which could be reworked in the same way. Designers who have something they think of, please let me know!

1/87 scale Piper J3 Cub (TSMC model)

What could possibly be better to start with, than the classic Piper J3 Cub? Mik-chan, from the Tokyo Solid Model Club (TSMC), has made a very distinct model of it in 1/48 scale. Here's my reworking of his fine model into 1/87 scale, with some additional material:

I think it is the duty of every paper modeler to see to it that no model railway layout in HO scale within their reach goes without a yellow Cub stuch away somewhere, ready to fly out of the track layout! Make and give away one to every railroad modeling friend you have - and don't forget to point out that paper modeling enables you to make it at exactly the correct scale. You may even want to make one with wings detached, to be freighted on a large open freight wagon.

Here's what the rest of the model looks like:

Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale-piper-cub-j3-1-87-2.jpg Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale-piper-cub-j3-1-87-3.jpg Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale-piper-cub-j3-1-87-4.jpg

If you have a peek at the download you will no doubt notice that the level of difficult is about the same as for the classic Fiddlers green Cub, which almost every paper modeler is familiar with.

Notice also, that the small card format enables you to really study the instructions on the screen, while perhaps restricting printing to the last two pages of the kit (which may be printed on a single Letter or A4 size of thin photo paper quality, 120-170g or so).

Finally, check out the invisible link feature: If you click on any section of the text in the pdf-kit where it says "Source", or on the logos, you will get directly to the original source. This is a very neat feature, and I hope others will think about the possibilities here. Linking each section of the instruction to a build report comes to mind…

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale-piper-cub-j3-1-87-cover.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
What a wonderful project! Although I love to see your large-scale model projects, I first became aware of your work with the 1/87 project and am glad to see you building small again. And the Cub happens to be a personal favorite as the one and only airplane that I have ever flown solo.

Don
Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Leif,

Thanks again for this wonderful little model and for all the great models you have repainted and improved over the years. Mic-chan has two versions of a T-3 that look great in 1/48 scale and would make great candidates for the next conversion. And BTW, his F-105 solid model that is currently featured on the TSMC home page is a truly magnificent model.

Curt
Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Thanks Leif,

I’m thinking I might try to build one of these Cubs to include in my HO Stratoliner diorama. Every HO layout needs at least one airplane.
Google Adsense