PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thank you very much for the information, Papercaptain. From the facts you and others have provided, I think I have it marked up correctly. I'll probably be building it next after my current project (unless a brand new piece of candy catches my eye and moves it down on the list). I really appreciate everyone's input.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Don,

I once planned to do the "D-EAEN" but I prefered the "KD+NY", which was the last of the three versions of this single prototype (first one: no markings at all, second one civil registration "D-EAEN").

What I can tell you for sure is that on the bottom of right wing was "D-E", on the bottom of the left wing "AEN".

I'm pretty sure no markings on top of wing.

"D-EAEN" on both sides of fuselage.

The "KD+NY" is a confirmed version - I've got a pic of the plane with this identification.

Hope this was helpful.

Greetings from Austria!

Wolfgang/SABA
Old 04-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Thanks for your input Wolfgang. I recolored the model as in your reply with the exception of black swastikas on white disc on red band on each vertical tailplane. It was coming along very nicely, but the cellophane I used for the canopy was too thin and it buckled after construction. Since then, work on the project has ceased. It was really looking good, too. Pity. Does anyone know how to tighten up the cellophane? Someone suggested heating it with a hair dryer.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sorry to hear the pitty with the buckled canopy.

I use protector sheets with 100 µm - which are really perfect for me.

Happy modelling!

Wolfgang
Attached Thumbnails
Question - Early Luftwaffe markings-saba-3.jpg   Question - Early Luftwaffe markings-biella.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
...but the cellophane I used for the canopy was too thin and it buckled after construction.
...Does anyone know how to tighten up the cellophane? Someone suggested heating it with a hair dryer.
can you not remove the cellophane and try again?
repairing can be more risky than the work to remove and replace.
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 PM

That would be pretty tough, Dave. There are several fuselage parts already joined together, and there is a fragile unsupported frame that runs partway up the sides of the canopy. If I was able to get the cellophane out successfully, I'd have to try to insert a new piece from the front. Before I scrap what I've done so far, I'll try a repair/replace, but it'll be a difficult job. There's nothing to be lost by trying, though. I'll experiment with the hairdryer first to see if heat will take out the buckles. Here's a couple of photos of the problem, and one of the unobstructed cockpit, which is really pretty nice looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Question - Early Luftwaffe markings-canopy1.jpg   Question - Early Luftwaffe markings-canopy2.jpg   Question - Early Luftwaffe markings-canopy3.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
It's ashame you have had problems with the canopy. It looks a really neat installation.

From personal experience, every time I have tried to 'correct' glazing, I've made things far worse.

Might be best just to move on, and finish therest of the model

Tim
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, Tim. I'd never be happy with the model if I were to finish it with the canopy in this state, so if heating it doesn't beat it into submission, I'll probably just scrap what I've done so far and begin again. The model is definitely worth a do-over. I'm hoping to reprint only the pieces that you see in the photos, but I've changed the color cartridge since the first printing, and the new versions might not be a good match. We'll see. Maybe I can salvage the cockpit.