PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build

I bit the bullet after finishing two Modelart F-15C kits earlier; I figured I could tackle one of these ultra detailed masterpieces. Opting for the full setup, I ordered a Halinski Mig-29a with laser cut frames, resin wheels and molded canopy. Roughly $130 later I had quite an intimidating booklet of parts in front of me...

The kit is nothing short of ridiculous; everything is thought out down to the last millimeter. Looking at the frame and its tiny slits cut at the joining points to provide a channel in which the tabs will rest, or the near flawless fit (if cut and connected correctly, which I discovered the hard way) I have to say it was worth it so far.

Right now I am assembling the engines. I am still looking for a good glue that doesn't warp or distort the pieces. Tacky glue is easy to work with, but makes the model look like garbage in my opinion. I also have Testor's Cardboard and Metal glue, which works well if the parts are pressed together. Not much tack, though.

I messed up a bit while doing the upper skin... I don't know if it is from fitting the parts too spaced out, or cutting on the line instead of the inside. I am not sure how halinski models are meant to be cut out yet. Either way, it ended up pushing the whole skin forward about 2mm. I hope it doesn't end up showing too badly, but so far it seems to be manageable. I'd have bought another kit and tried again, but each book is $70.

I have plenty of pictures I want to upload, but the image linking appears to be telling me no... I'll try to follow up with some below.
Google Adsense
Old 09-27-2013, 03:03 PM

It appears that the site does not like my photobucket links... I cannot put even one of them in here without getting the post denied attached images it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06123.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06204.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06206.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06227.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06232.jpg  

Old 09-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.66 MB
this....is going to be good

Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Fantastic work. It looks great.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 09-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Have you tried Aleen's tacky glue? works great...looking great so far, we are our own worst critics don't be hard on your self. Welcome to the site......Rich
Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Oh and the link thing is you need to make a number of posts before you can put links in......Rich
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.32 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by irresponsibility View Post
I am still looking for a good glue that doesn't warp or distort the pieces. Tacky glue is easy to work with, but makes the model look like garbage in my opinion.
Ditto on Tacky glue. I'm using Titebond Molding and Trim Glue. Even tackier and it seems to dry/set quickly - before the paper fibers get soft and expand.

For small parts I use gel CA. In both instances I use a needle in a stick to apply from a puddle on a piece of baggie. The needle can apply just a dot or can smear a smooth coat on a tab.

I've started using Loctite GO2 Glue. Interesting stuff. About five minutes working time which means that it isn't useful for assembly. But, it's great for things that need working time to position and square up. And which you'll never, ever want to take apart. Like ship's hull formers.

I don't use any of the above for laminating - that's a whole different thing!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
what a great work.

YOAV
Old 09-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Thank you for the welcome and the compliments. I will try to keep it ordered and updated as I make progress. Here are some more shots.

I have three types of Aleene's: Quick grab (super thick but poor adhesion) clear gel (good working time, medium tack) and fast dry (very runny and soaks in to paper) Overall, every point that I use it on will buckle under the strain of pulling the laminating tight. The frame bites into the edge and pushes it upwards while the skin sags in between.

If I use the Testor's glue, it will dry extremely quick, but it needs to make contact once and once only... no re-positioning or it will just "vanish". It makes it difficult to use this for the layer-by-layer setup of the main body, as I can't squeeze it tightly to hold the tabs together for a good seam. The rear exhaust tops went together flawlessly (as can be seen in the first photos) because I got to pinch and form them in my hands, which I couldn't do the further up I went.

Sometimes I wonder about building two of every kit, just so the second one comes out right. My first modelart F-15 looks like garbage compared to the second one, and I still think I could do better on that now. It is a daunting thought to build two halinski kits, though.

Maybe a Hind-D gunship for my next project...
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06235.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06237.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06246.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06254.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06286.jpg  

Old 09-28-2013, 01:59 PM

The skin, piece by piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06239.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06241.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06242.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06244.jpg   Halinski Mig-29a, Laser cut frames build-dsc06249.jpg  

Google Adsense