PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Paper Recommendations and Sources For Planes

An apology in advance - I KNOW this subject has undoubtedly been covered thoroughly, but I just spent an hour searching the forum for a Tutorial, Hint, Tip, etc that very simply (?) discusses which paper to use in terms of weight, thickness, etc ... and which suggests readily available local sources in a typical US city - stores like Hobby Lobby, Walmart, Office Depot, etc.

Could someone point me to the best "paper" thread, please? One which, for example, addresses what paper stock is "appropriate" when a models calls for 1.5mm cardboard backing on formers.

Gene K

Last edited by Gene K; 10-12-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 10-12-2013, 12:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
...what paper stock is "appropriate" when a models calls for 1.5mm cardboard backing on formers.
that would be "cardboard"..."backing on formers"

so, print your formers on regular weight papers or cardstocks of any thickness
and then laminate ("back") with other cardboard up to a total thickness of 1.5mm.

I print almost all my "parts" on 65lb plain white cardstock.
I buy cheap stuff (but respectable quality) from Michaels Craft Store
and good stuff from Staples and Walmart (Wausau or Staples brand)

I usually print former pages on regular weight paper (24lb) and then spray glue
laminate it to layers of Cereal Box cardboard.
(scuff the printed side to improve adhesion, use a Brayer roller to laminate quickly)

1.5mm is pretty thick for internals (in my opinion) but not uncalled for.
3 layers of Cereal card and the printed page should do you.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I usually print former pages on regular weight paper (24lb) and then spray glue laminate it to layers of Cereal Box cardboard.
Great advice Dave, thanks.

"Cereal Box cardboard" - do you have a non-grocery source for that? I bought a large cake box from Walmrt bridal section ($2) that measures .5mm thick - so since you suggested smaller than 1.5 mm to be good for "cardboard" backing, I laminated two sheets - looks like that should work.

Any recommendations for laminating glue (I use Loktite General Purpose spray adhesive - only $5 at Walmart).

Thanks again.

Gene K

(had a flashback to "People of Walmart" pictures ....).
Old 10-12-2013, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
After building card models for quite some time you'll start to look at all kinds of cardboard and cardstock that you come across in your travels, I have a huge collection of different weights/thicknesses that come from packaging, boxes, all kinds of places. There's also other stuff I buy, like Dave mentioned, some of it good quality, some of it not.

A handy tool to have around is a set of calipers for measuring thicknesses, you don't need to go out and buy an expensive set, I have a cheap plastic one I found in a dollar type store that does me fine. Then when a model calls for a certain thickness, just experiment with your cardstock collection until you get the thickness you require.

As for the spray glues, there's a lot of them out there, depending where you are. Anything that's meant for paper should be ok, the best ones tend to be rather expensive but also give the best results. If you have found a cheap one that works well you've made me jealous because even in the "cheap stuff" stores in my part of the world I'm yet to find anything for less than around $20 for a can and there's not a lot of places willing to ship that stuff overseas it seems.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 10-12-2013, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
3M Spray 77 is the BEST!

Allow to dry on the surface, and a light spray gives you a repositionable adhesive.

Apply and glue wet for a strong bond with very little delamination.

Apply to both surfaces, let tack up, and then mate for a quick grab, permanent, strong contact cement bond.

Look for the "bonus" can...has 33% extra for the same price.
Goes for $15-$18 in Canada.
Google Adsense