PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
DHC-2 Beaver by Design Group Alpha - ''Gruppo Aeronaval Antartico''

Inspired by Jan Kytop's fine and detailed tutorial of how he builds his fine 1/72 scale models I decided to do my first semi serious attempt to build a paper model of an airplane. I have previously tried some really simple ones from Fiddlers Green but never laid my hands on anything more complicated. Seeing all the fine builds here I was intimidated to just give it a try - even privately. ;-)

The Beaver model looked fine for my purposes - not simple but not too complicated either. The fuselage is boxy and I wouldn't have to worry too much about forming and embossing issues. I still don't have colour inks in my printer so I had to print the kit in grayscale (that's a shame because the kit is very colourful with bright red fuselage and blue and white fin and ailerons). I need to do this in colour someday.

I made few alterations and additions to the kit:

- I changed the kits skis to the ones DGA offers for their DHC-3 Otter model as a free download at their site (Otter retractable skis are more detailed and truer to the originals I think - just shortened them a bit for my Beaver)
- I also built a belly tank with the fuel lines for the plane as the one and only reference picture I found of the original plane suggested so
- I added some antennas that we're missing and made a pitot tube on the leading edge of the starboard side wing
- I changed the propeller design a bit and left the spinner off
- I added the wiring for the antennas and the skis
- I opened the landing light openings and added a concave disk inside to present a reflector

Here's some pics:

I downscaled the kit a bit and printed two pages on one sheet and that gives me a scale of 1/60 something - needed to save my paper resources. Some mishaps occur with every build, here a mine:

- wings turned out little too thin and I should have used some filler in those to correct the airfoil
- belly tank took two efforts - the first one was ridiculous but even so I managed to glue it on and that lead to corrective surgery (some stains on the belly side)
- antennas are not correctly positioned though I had that reference picture in hand (I really need to concentrate more)

But the overall experience was good and I'm pleased with the outcome. Here's the final picture of the bird(s). ;-)

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2014, 03:17 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
WOW!! 0_0 GREAT JOB THAT BEAVER!

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 02-14-2014, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Oustanding build!!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
I still don't have colour inks in my printer so I had to print the kit in grayscale (that's a shame because the kit is very colourful with bright red fuselage and blue and white fin and ailerons). I need to do this in colour someday.
Tappi
Oh Yes. The color is fantastic, but maybe is because I'm Argentinian

Your build comes out great. I tried it sometime ago and I ended with some severe misalignment maybe I've to try again.

Ah it's "grupo" with just one p.

Regards
Alcides
Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks Matthew and Tom, I'm glad you liked the model.

Quote:
Ah it's "grupo" with just one p.
Of course it is Alcides, it says so in the plane. I must be a bit dyslexic at times. I definitely build this bird in colour too. If someone would volunteer to repaint the existing Dutch expedition Tucker Snow Cat into Argentinian ''Operación 90'' livery that would be a nice add-on and make a small diorama. Anybody?

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.90 GB
Beautiful and detailed model.
Congratulations.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is an excellent model to start with (Jim Gausman design, I believe), and your construction is terrific. I like the diorama with the paper penguin!

Don
Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Thanks Jan, you are part of this - the origin of inspiration. Yes Don, this is Jim Gausman's work. Fine model, well designed and went together fine. I'm glad you both like the results.

Tappi
Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
That's a great build Tapcho! I like the black/gray look. It's a stealth Beaver!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Excellent build! I like how the gray scale makes the pictures look like old B&W photos. Thank you for sharing your work!

Michi Kaintoch designed those penguins and also applied the Argentinian livery to the Beaver.