PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Marek 737 build and repaint

Having lost all my original 737 models on a thumb drive during a recent trip, I've decided to take a break from designing and see how other modelers have approached this subject. Models by Marek has 737 models in over a dozen liveries for sale over at ECardmodels.com. I'm going to build up the Transaero version available at 1/100 Boeing 737- 700 Transaero Airlines Paper Model. I chose this particular model because the paint scheme is simple and will make for easy repainting.

If you haven't shopped at ecardmodels.com recently you should give them a try. Payment by PayPal resulted in almost immediate availablity for download. They also have several free models available for download.

The model itself consists of a pdf file with 8 pages. It has a title page, 4 pages of parts, and three pages of diagrams. According to the file properties the pages are 8.5 x 11 inches but when I printed them out full size some of the bottom was cut off. I opened up the file with Photoshop and cut and pasted a new page with items from the bottom of the original pages to get complete parts. It should be noted that the pages are 300 dpi which means that you can print it out at double the size (1/50 scale) and still have good resolution. You can also just reduce the print size to 92% to get a complete page to print out.

The nose is the hardest part of the 737 to get right, and Marek has done a good job at getting an accurate outline with the minimum of parts. You basically make up the nose cone separately and glue it to the fuselage below the windshields. The rest of the fuselage goes together easily, joined together with joining strips. It has an extra reinforcement around the wing area to strengten the fuselage. Don't forget to cut out the slots for the wing spars before you roll the main fuselage tube.
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2013, 08:44 PM

Forgot to add photos to previous post.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000051.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000053.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000055.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000056.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 PM

There are a few flaws in the model. The nose cone has the outline for the anti-glare panel, but it hasn't been colored in. Three parts have lines from the identification numbering flowing into the interior of the parts. Finally the horizontal stab outline has been significantly moved off the part, resulting in lines across the the horizontal stab. All these can be fixed easily enough if you have Photoshop, but probably should have been caught in a Beta build.

Another little problem is the use of alignment marks on the top of the fuselage. They stick out on an all-white airliner type model. Best to leave this technique to military models.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek 737 build and repaint-marek-737-700-1-error-1.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-marek-737-700-2-error-2.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 09:01 PM

This model feels like it was designed to be a 1/50 scale model which was then shrunk down to 1/100 scale. I say this because it is a little over designed. The fuselage has reinforcement for the wings, and the wings have a reinforced full length spar design. Bottom line is that you won't have to worry about wing droop on this design.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000061.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000062.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000067.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000069.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000070.jpg  

Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM

The engine pods are well designed, the only problem is that the engine's center cone is a really tiny piece to get to form into the required rounded coned shape. I'd recommend just getting a Q-Tip shaft, chuck it into a drill, and sand it down to the required shape.

I found one other mistake, the cargo doors are on the wrong side. 737 cargo hatches are on the right side of the aircraft. And if you really want to be a rivet-counter, the emergency exit markings on the wings of most 737-700 series only have one set of arrow markings. 737-800 series aircraft have two over-wing emergency exits, so they have dual arrow markings. I suspect Marek uses the same markings for his -700 and -800 models.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000072.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000071.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Well......... to honest and to remove any blame on Marek..........I'm the one that re-designed Marek's B737-800 into the B737-700..........so any mistakes are my fault not that of Marek.........

The part markings going into that part are my fault also........Marek originally designed his model to be white but I had to remove the white in order to get some of the other colors to do right on some of my repaints........... I guess I missed some of the extra line length on some of the part numbers........I will go back and re-edit my original files and fix any that I missed.

I swear I fixed the cargo doors....... I did notice they were on the wrong side of the 800 and I thought I had changed them to the correct side on the 700.......again I will check my originals and if I didn't get it change I will change them.

I'm sorry that I missed so much, I guess I didn't do as good a job on the re-design as I had originally thought........Sorry!

If you would send me a list of errors......... I promise to make the extra effort to get them corrected before any other recolors are done.......Hopefully..........

Thanks

john

PS.

Even though Sergey did this repaint I will fix everything and resend a corrected copy to anyone who has purchased it, along with getting the corrected file to eCardmodels so anyone purchasing it in the future will not have to deal with these issues...........

My Drawings
Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Or....that ^^^
No worries John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
There are a few flaws in the model. The nose cone has the outline for the anti-glare panel, but it hasn't been colored in. Three parts have lines from the identification numbering flowing into the interior of the parts. Finally the horizontal stab outline has been significantly moved off the part, resulting in lines across the the horizontal stab. All these can be fixed easily enough if you have Photoshop, but probably should have been caught in a Beta build.

Another little problem is the use of alignment marks on the top of the fuselage. They stick out on an all-white airliner type model. Best to leave this technique to military models.
Thanks for the heads up, this is a repaint by Sergey Timinsky, hopefully he'll be along and see the thread. Otherwise, an email will be sent.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 AM

Seriously, I think I have reported EVERYTHING I found wrong with this model. I don't mean to be too critical, just reporting errors so they can be fixed. Overall it is a good model and is highly recommended. Tomorrow I will finish up the landing gear and start my repaint. Something in a military theme.

Here's my suggested fixes for John:

Parts Sheet 1

Part 1 - remove anti-glare panel outline. N101UN didn't have anti-glare panel
Part 2 - remove black anti-glare panel
Part 3 - trim part # line
Part 4 - move cargo door to right side of fuselage
Part 6 - move cargo door to right side of fuselage
Part 7 - trim part # line
remove top alignment marks from fuselage parts. The panel lines provide enough alignment.

Sheet 2

Part 14 - realign lower outline to match part
Part 5 - trim part # line

Diagram sheet 2

Main landing gear part numbers should be 35 . . . 40. Part 40 is the main landing gear door but is not shown on the diagrams.

I hope this helps make a good model even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek 737 build and repaint-0780577.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-0926439.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
terrific model...i like the shap of the front and the body, it looks like the real thing.

YOAV
Old 12-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Here's the finished up model, minus one wheel that the cat somehow projected into an alternate universe. I'll build a replacement wheel during the repaint.

You can see by the nose shot that there's several ways to approach the design.

I've included Stefino's model for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000073.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000074.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000075.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000078.jpg   Marek 737 build and repaint-s5000076.jpg  

Google Adsense