PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
1/72 S.E.5A - Salvador Ortega model

About a week ago I finished my first build of Salvador Ortega's models the Polikarpov I-16 (pictures were shown in Getter1's thread of the same model). You can check that fine thread here. Very inspirational model and two more fine builds on the go - Getter1's and papermate's.

I had an other one of his models in my hard disk and that's the S.E.5A (Royal Aircraft Factory Scout Experimental model 5A). You can learn more about the plane in Wikipedia.

I built the I-16 on photo paper and had some trouble while the paper tend to flake and I was looking for an other solution with this one. I found from my paper and card stash (I hoard all sorts of paper based scrap in my basement) a stiff brown packing paper (weight around 160g) which looked perfect for the project. Wouldn't have to paint the plane but just leave it paper brown.

I cut a A4 size piece of it, moistened it lightly and ironed if flat. And by my surprise my printer accepted it too. I printed the parts on a white office paper too because some of the parts looked so delicate I wasn't sure I was able to work them through with the brown hard paper I had.

Cutting the paper (I really don't know what to call it) was very easy. I could work with precision, it didn't peel or flake because it is solid and it kept it's form well.

While working ahead I searched build threads about the model and did find Rubenandres77's fine thread of the same model but in different scale. Thanks Ruben for the inspiration I got because I decided to use his idea to work the model further and add the strings to the framework.

I used a thin monofilament fishing line of thickness 0,16 mm (I do some ice fisheng every now and then). I glued the lines on the inside of the framework so that I could hide most of the glue spots away.

I did some other additions here and there: I lengthened the floor plate (too short according my references), added the missing firewall et cetera.

The upper rear part of the fuselage had some ribs to it (either tubing or wood) and I decided try to simulate some copper tubing in it. I cut thin strips of paper, painted them accordingly and finished the cockpit main structure.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...ps56979da5.jpg

The kit comes as a one piece PDF and it's all white model. It has no instructions but Mr. Ortega has a set of photographs at his site to show the construction.

Here's a mid term build picture of the small bird:

Fine model, very nice design by Mr. Ortega and a great find of that brown stiff paper - just the right thing for this build.

The original build thread took place at Dave 'Airdave' Winfield's site. You can have a look at the build there too - go here. No registration needed, browse freely and join if you wish. ;-)

Tappi
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.66 MB
beautiful work!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
what a great professional work.

YOAV
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Amazing little model there
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
This is a difficult kit. But the challenge is quite interesting and teaches a lot.
I like a lot the paper you used. The color is wonderful.

This scale is so tiny that I really admire those like you who face it without fear.
I'm just terrified to work so small.

I saw your photos over at Dave's forum. the finished plane with the stand is just wonderful!!

And you even made the wing rigging!!!

You've made a wonderful model indeed.

Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a real little gem!

Don
Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Fantastic :D

Love the brown paper idea :D

G1
Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Thank you fellows for all the kind words. I continue reporting of the build. Next I did the tail parts. Vertical stabilizer and rudder are separate parts but horizontal stabilizer and elevators are designed in one part. This where the cutting turned serious.

My method was to cut the rectangles out by cutting two corners at time and then turn the piece and cut (or maybe punch or stab describes it better) next two corners - altogether four turns and the excess pop out. I did one vertical row at a time. With these parts only I calculated some +500 stabs. If you draw your knife there is a possibility to break the thin parts - that's why this laborious method.

Assembling these parts show the good design of the kit. Before you fold the vertical stabilizer over you insert three spars inside. After glueing everything together you'll get a stabilizer with an air foil - genius.

I made some modifications to the model. I wanted the cockpit upper part to have some structure too - it took me four times to get somewhat acceptable shape to put in place. Photo shows dry fitting the engine and in front is the prop and the cooler.

More punches with the wings this time some 1500 strokes. Construction is about the same as with the tail parts. If you everything right you get pretty fine wings that imitate the original structure really well.

Wings in place and the rigging has started. For a moment I was afraid I had to build a jig for glueing the wings but careful assembly and long sits in awkward positions waiting the glue to dry did the job.

Here is the last picture before the final pics. I made a vierd stand for the plane too. ;-)

Hope you like the result. I enjoyed the build very much though it took a lot to do it in a week. I'm pretty exhausted at the moment and I will have a beer tonight. Maybe two. Final pics will appear during the weekend when I get my photo booth rigged.

Tappi
Old 01-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
very beautiful and very very special.

YOAV
Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 120.22 MB
Not been moved to post on here before, but had to having seen your build, it is quite stunning, incredible piece of work, you must feel very proud of it.
Google Adsense