PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
In the 1970s, a company called Finescale Miniatures began releasing limited edition kits of unique HO scale model railroad buildings--lots of detail castings, lots of charm, moderately hefty prices.

A lot of these kits, limited to 100 or 200 of each, were grabbed up by collectors -- people who had no intention of ever building them. In some cases, those folks just planned on holding them long enough for their value to escalate. The result was a lot of beautiful and unique kits pulled off the market and out of the hands of real hobbyists. The kits show up on eBay now and then with astronomical prices. I think Finescale re-released a couple of their early kits to try to thwart the "investors." There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the collectors.

For my money, these un-hobbyists ought to be horsewhipped with a wet copy of Model Railroader and forced to sell their collections at original retail prices.

Just sayin'.
--David
Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 145.94 MB
Are you an investor? Are you trying to build a nest egg of fine collectibles? If so, store it. If you want the enjoyment of doing the kit, build it. Soon.
I've got a stack of plastic models set aside, not for investment, but because I was so busy working & stuff that I figured I'll get to them "Someday". Now arthritis is raging in my hands, and I have little sensation of touch in my right hand. Paper modeling is becoming tougher to do. As for the plastics, "someday" is "I hope I can, someday".
I guess what I'm trying to say is, plan for tomorrow, but live for today.
P.S. I agree with Yale that the longer you wait, the worse the decals usually get.

Last edited by VinceM; 12-13-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling. Wish I could type!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major56 View Post
(I'm sorry, i'm out of the closet! I fondell plastic, in a far corner of the house, away from prying eyes)
Ray, do you wash your hands afterward?

I say build it. I must admit, I face the same choice with a vintage stick-and-tissue kit of a Cutlass that is in the que. I decided I'm a builder, not a collector. When it works it's way to the front of the list, balsa dust will fly.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Other then a few that I bought just for the box art, everything I've buy has the intention to be build...someday.

I remember at a swap meet years ago were I was selling some stuff and Budd Anderson had dropped by to say hello. For you folks that build model cars in the early 60's might remember him as the "Kat from AMT". Anyway a guy I knew came up to show me a 'Budd Anderson designed kit' that he'd just got for a good price and asked me what I thought about it and should he build it. I told him I don't know, but pointed over to Budd and said why don't we asked the guy who designed it. After the guy picked his jaw up, Budd looked the kit over and said: 'build the damn thing, that's what I designed it for'. So that's been my motto in buying kits ever since. Now I will have to live for another 100 years or so to accomplish it.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.12 MB
Thanks guys I am going to build it. The decals looks kind of older than my grandfather, reason why I started finding out about it. I is definitely the 1984 version of the heller bloch 210 as indicated on their website. I'm just hoping that the decals actually still work. A least I picked it up for a bargain at ZAR140 or US$ 1.40. Happy building guys
Google Adsense
Old 12-14-2013, 12:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Microscale makes a liquid decal film that's designed to coat older decals so they won't come apart on you. If they've yellowed, you can tape them on the inside of a window were they won't get any moisture on them and let the uv in sunlight bleach them.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
You may also want to scan the decal sheet and print out a fresh copy on new decal paper.
DecalPaper.com - Decals - Waterslide decal paper or inkjet,laser printers Alps & copiers
Old 12-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Or hit it with a coat of Future Floor Wax, trim it and apply as usual.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.10 GB
What good is it if it just sits in a box? Build it and enjoy yourself!

Dave
Old 12-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 148.50 MB
[QUOTE=Darwin;396048]Ray, do you wash your hands afterward?

Haha! Darwin, i'm constantly washing me hands! OCD have I! Too many cars, too many motorcycles, too many dogs, far too many plastic kits and far,far too many paper/card models to complete in two life times! The boss will have me on one 'o those hoarding shows if i'm not careful!
Seriously though, Westley, 'Vintage' doesn't mean, rare or valuable. I use my 'vintage' car every day and my 'vintage' motorcycles most week ends.
Now, when it comes to 'vintage people', well, they are becoming a rare and valuable thing!
Cheers... Ray
Google Adsense