PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-23-2013, 12:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
How to build a model without crumpling the paper

Hi. This seems to be my first post and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place. I'm building an Air India 777-300ER I found on the Canon website. However, whenever I'm cutting out and glueing small parts, parts end up getting soggy and crumpled. Sometimes when I'm cuting out really tiny pieces, such as those flap thingys and landing gear, the paper gets stuck up (I dunno what you call it, but the edges kinda fold and crumple.) Can I have some tips of building a paper model without messing up the parts?
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Welcome Justin. What type of paper are you using to build the model?

Sounds like you are using paper instead of cardstock.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply, and yes I'm using normal printer paper. What is cardstock?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 PM

Cardstock is heavier paper....thin cardboard so to speak.

Here is a great thread to start at regarding cardstock types and weights.
Paper type

Pick some up at your local hobby craft supply store.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Card stock is thicker paper like the kind used to print business cards and greeting cards. It comes in various weights/thicknesses. Some common card stock used in paper modeling are 110 lb index or 199 gsm and 65 lb cover or 177 gsm. The weights/thicknesses available might vary where you are and might not be exactly as described above but you should be able to find some. A good source for card stock would be business supply stores and art supply stores. It can also be purchased online.

A sharp blade in a hobby knife is important, or if you do not use a hobby knife the cutting instrument needs to be sharp. It reduces the amount of force needed to make the cuts so not as much distortion or damage is seen.
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. I use large scissors for the cutting.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinxfan View Post
Large scissors are good to get the heavy work done, like cutting parts out to be trimmed by smaller scissors or a knife. But you do need a hobby knife.

Here is another thread which will help in other areas of the hobby...the instruments to build the model.
Beginner's Toolbox - Tools and software to get started with Paper Modeling
Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinxfan View Post
Welcome to the hobby. There's a lot of enjoyment to be had, but as you'll find, there is also a learning curve.

Fortunately, it is a hobby were the basic necessary tools aren't that expensive. It is also a hobby that can be forgiving of mistakes because if you screw up a part, you just print out a new one and try again.

But you do need the basic tools. A good hobby knife with an assortment of blades (and a ready supply of new blades), a metal straight edge and SMALL scissors are essential. If you're building things like airliners, that means rolling tubes so it'll help to have a computer mousepad and metal "rollers" of various sizes; nine times out of 10, I use knitting needles I've picked up along the way.

And buy a box of round wooden toothpicks for applying glue. At least that's what I use.

Others here have directed you to some good tutorials. And don't hesitate to ask folks here if you've got questions. I've been building for more than a decade and issues still come up that I have to ask people here for assistance or insight. They've always been helpful and supportive. That's the other thing about the hobby -- it is filled with some good people.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 883.09 MB
I use copy paper for my easier PR models but I'm in the process of building the canon a340 and I printed it out on cardstock via the print shop.
Here's the PR recolored SAS one that I've built.
Attached Thumbnails
How to build a model without crumpling the paper-image.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Well, like others have posted above cardstock is ideal for paper modeling. It is thick and sturdy but it still allows the user to bend the piece to the correct size and shape. Cardstock comes in many different weights (#32, #36, #43, #65, #80, #100, and #110.) I use Georgia Pacific 8.5x11 cardstock that is #110 LB, the $5 pack comes with 150 sheets and its amazing.

Link: Georgia-Pacific White Cardstock Paper - Walmart.com

As for crumpling the paper I would suggest using cardstock.... Take your time with the model and carefully form each piece. You also said the paper is soggy, I'm taking it that you're using a liquid glue? I use Aleenes Clear Gel Tacky Glue, its a gel and not a liquid and it works the best. I would also suggest toothpicks for applying the glue

Link: http://www.michaels.com/Aleene%E2%80...efault,pd.html

If you need anything else, feel free to private message me. I'm on here everyday for hours.

Thanks,

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Google Adsense