Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
unique project that looks amazing.

YOAV
Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Wow... creativity creativity!!

Very nice!! I bet your guests will be totally amazed.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 106.24 MB
The Wall

It's been just under a year since I last posted anything of value on this site......
My paper modelling has sadly taken the back burner for a long time now.
Let's just say that 2014 is a year that I want to quickly forget!

Anyway, way back when I posted the pics of the finished DC3 project in this thread, I also posted the pictures to Facebook and somebody on FB commented that it looked like a set of "brick lips with a plane for a tongue!" That comment stuck in my mind, and indeed, it does look a bit like that .....! And I have to say, I have never been 100% happy with the finished look of it. So, time to eradicate that problem!

And this is how I did it.........

I took a trip down to the local hardware store and bought a sheet of 3mm hardboard cut to 180cm x 60cm (5'10" x 2') and some lengths of timber to use as a frame.
I cut the frame to size and mitered the corners. I then temporarily tacked the frame pieces to the backing board. I then placed a sheet of foam into the resulting space inside the frame. This is the same foam that I used before. The original backing board for the model was then placed in position on the new foam and a line drawn around the perimeter. The resulting shape was then cut out of the new foam.
(Apologies for the crappy photos, my camera phone leaves a lot to be desired!)

The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0232.jpg

The edges of the hole were then carved to match the taper of the edge of the original backing board so that the edges joined up smoothly.
Once I was happy with everything, I glued the original backing board to the new one. I then marked out all the bricks.

The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0242.jpg

I then scored all these lines with the side of the blade of a flat screwdriver. I then broke the foam along these lines to create a rough edge.

The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0252.jpg

Each 'brick" was roughened up with a wire brush to achieve a rough brick-like texture. Each individual brick was then glued to the backing board with hot glue.
(WARNING to those with spouses: Working with this foam makes a hell of a mess and the resulting bits stick to everything. I was finding it for days around the house, and other unexpected places too! )
And this is the result .........

The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0259.jpg

Once everything was textured up to my liking I then painted the new foam bricks and the original bricks flat black. I then dry brushed a yellow/tan colour over each brick for a base colour.
I darkened some of the mortar lines with a wash of black paint to highlight where the mortar would of cracked from the impact of the plane. The areas of mortar without any cracking was highlighted with a creamy wash.

Again, sorry for the photo quality. It really does not do it justice.

The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0290.jpg

The whole thing was then left overnight to dry out properly, ready for the next stage.

Using various colour mixes I dry brushed each individual brick, making sure that the colours were staggered around the board.

The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0298.jpg

Once this was dry enough, I then proceeded to dry brush the mortar lines in with a light sand colour.

The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0335.jpg

After a few touch ups and small changes to the finish, I removed the frame pieces and cleaned them up and sprayed them flat black. These were then re-bonded to the back board.

I then mounted the thing to the wall and attached the plane.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the end result!

The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0337.jpgThe Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0338.jpgThe Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0339.jpg
The Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0342.jpgThe Alan Rose DC-3 by DanBKing-dsc_0347.jpg

I will be back in the near future with some new projects and also some updates to existing ones!

Thanks for looking in one and all!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Even better !
Great
Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBKing View Post
It's been just under a year since I last posted anything of value on this site......
My paper modelling has sadly taken the back burner for a long time now.
Let's just say that 2014 is a year that I want to quickly forget!

Anyway, way back when I posted the pics of the finished DC3 project in this thread, I also posted the pictures to Facebook and somebody on FB commented that it looked like a set of "brick lips with a plane for a tongue!" That comment stuck in my mind, and indeed, it does look a bit like that .....! And I have to say, I have never been 100% happy with the finished look of it. So, time to eradicate that problem!

And this is how I did it.........

I took a trip down to the local hardware store and bought a sheet of 3mm hardboard cut to 180cm x 60cm (5'10" x 2') and some lengths of timber to use as a frame.
I cut the frame to size and mitered the corners. I then temporarily tacked the frame pieces to the backing board. I then placed a sheet of foam into the resulting space inside the frame. This is the same foam that I used before. The original backing board for the model was then placed in position on the new foam and a line drawn around the perimeter. The resulting shape was then cut out of the new foam.
(Apologies for the crappy photos, my camera phone leaves a lot to be desired!)

Attachment 237137

The edges of the hole were then carved to match the taper of the edge of the original backing board so that the edges joined up smoothly.
Once I was happy with everything, I glued the original backing board to the new one. I then marked out all the bricks.

Attachment 237138

I then scored all these lines with the side of the blade of a flat screwdriver. I then broke the foam along these lines to create a rough edge.

Attachment 237140

Each 'brick" was roughened up with a wire brush to achieve a rough brick-like texture. Each individual brick was then glued to the backing board with hot glue.
(WARNING to those with spouses: Working with this foam makes a hell of a mess and the resulting bits stick to everything. I was finding it for days around the house, and other unexpected places too! )
And this is the result .........

Attachment 237141

Once everything was textured up to my liking I then painted the new foam bricks and the original bricks flat black. I then dry brushed a yellow/tan colour over each brick for a base colour.
I darkened some of the mortar lines with a wash of black paint to highlight where the mortar would of cracked from the impact of the plane. The areas of mortar without any cracking was highlighted with a creamy wash.

Again, sorry for the photo quality. It really does not do it justice.

Attachment 237142

The whole thing was then left overnight to dry out properly, ready for the next stage.

Using various colour mixes I dry brushed each individual brick, making sure that the colours were staggered around the board.

Attachment 237143

Once this was dry enough, I then proceeded to dry brush the mortar lines in with a light sand colour.

Attachment 237144

After a few touch ups and small changes to the finish, I removed the frame pieces and cleaned them up and sprayed them flat black. These were then re-bonded to the back board.

I then mounted the thing to the wall and attached the plane.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the end result!

Attachment 237145Attachment 237146Attachment 237147
Attachment 237148Attachment 237149

I will be back in the near future with some new projects and also some updates to existing ones!

Thanks for looking in one and all!
thats a great display for the model
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
That's a very original way of breaking through walls. The lady of the house must be very pleased with this result! Great model of a great aircraft!

Erik
Old 02-09-2015, 04:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very creating (and effective) way of presenting this model!

Well done!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Great looking display.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Very cool.