PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.13 MB
Your building report, SJPONeill, is very interesting. I like your build and your
detailed explanations. I will follow with great interest.

Theo
Old 01-31-2014, 01:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
The Defiant looks as though it will be a good looking kit, you did a good job on the turret...
Also your explanations are good and interesting to read!!!
NH78
Old 02-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Cutting out the clear parts was easier than I expected as the clear part was so thin...
...even the complex shape of the turret presented no problems in the cutting...I didn't even have to soak these parts in water to remove the paper template as they just peeled away. They still need to have any remaining residue washed off before being dipped in Future/Kleer to protect them during the assembly process...
The problem now is to determine exactly how to construct the clear turret part. I have spent many hours looking at it every which way trying to work this out: part of the problem is the sheer thinness of the part as it is quite fragile and also quite 'springy'...
My first idea was to construct a circular bases of the same circumference as the base of the turret and to slowly attach the lower edge of the clear part to this. The problem here was that there was no internal structure against which to shape the clear part...
...so I added the single turret former provided in the 'kit'...when this was not enough, I added more...and more...and the latest plan is to now fill this into a solid plug over which the clear part can be shaped...or - a more likely outcome - a single piece part can be smash-molded...
In the meantime, while cogitating all this, I cut out the much simpler parts arrangement for the cockpit canopy...irritatingly, there also are no interior green inner pieces here as well...but the interior green pieces here are for the inner surface of the movable fairing between the cockpit and the turret - surfaces which are not as likely to be visible as the interior of the cockpit or the turret...
Old 02-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk78 View Post
The Defiant looks as though it will be a good looking kit, you did a good job on the turret...
Also your explanations are good and interesting to read!!!
NH78
Thanks! I think that there is nothing inherently wrong with the design of this model but the designers have focussed a lot of unnecessary detail that will not be seen at the expense of areas that are more visible...I will summarise my thoughts on this at the end of the cockpit build but in essence, next time that I build it, I will not rely on the printed colours as they are incorrect (wrong shade of green for the interior and the upper fuselage colours are too dark with barely any contrast) and look at painting each section as I progress it....
Old 02-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaelb View Post
Your building report, SJPONeill, is very interesting. I like your build and your
detailed explanations. I will follow with great interest.

Theo
Thanks, Theo...the support from you and other members makes the build both easier and more memorable...

Simon
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2014, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
There is something really classic about this build, Simon, including the fabrication of the dome-shaped turret from flat clear plastic.

Loud sustained enthusiastic applause!

Don
Old 02-04-2014, 02:33 PM

No, not amateur hour in the kitchen. I have gooped body filler over the framework for the turret plug...the indent seen is off my thumb where I was holding it and where we became a little attached for a while - only later did I discover that a small Tamiya paint bottle is the perfect size to mount the plug on...this filler is quite sensitive: not enough hardener and it takes for ever to set and tends to ooze and run everywhere; too much and it has set before you even touch spatula to it. The trick for this part was to get it just starting to set as I applied it so that it would fill the framework without oozing out the sides. "Oh, but couldn't you have taped the sides to make temporary walls?"
you cry...yep, only thought of that later...
Here's the framework emerging from the set filler...it was a perfectly stiller night last night and I must have looked a bit odd (if we had neighbours) as I wandered aimlessly up and down the driveway to make my own breeze to carry the sanding dust away...

I will fill the nicks and dents tonight and hopefully have a vac-able shape ready to go...just have to find some thicker flat clear sheet for the vacforming experiment...

The group build over at UAMF finished today and I obviously did not complete this build in time however I will be continuing it here . It was a great catalyst for restoring my paper modelling skills which had atrophied in the year since my last paper model build, and also in generating interest in paper modelling within the UAMF community - to the point where we now have a dedicated paper modeling group build plotted from 12 November to 24 December 2014 (hint...join in if you wish...)...