PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-17-2014, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Orlik 1/33 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 cockpit build

The Unofficial Airfix Modellers Forum is currently hosting a Group Build with a theme of museum displays...
My attraction to this GB when it was first mooted was to the 'head and shoulder cockpit/forwatd fuselage type of display seen in some museums and especially those which most Englishmen seem to have in their garage/backyard/personal aviation museum that generally comprises the amputated nose section of an aircraft typically a Lightning, Hunter, Canbeera type...and that was the theme that I thought that I might abuse in this GB with a selection of nose sections as they might be found in such 'museums'...

I also thought that would be an opportunity to practise my paper modelling skills by drawing on cockpits from my paper model stash...so...

...first cabs off the rank are...

The Hobby Model Tu-160 Blackjack and the Orlik Defiant, both in 1/33...
First of two Blackjack cockpit parts...

Defiant cockpit parts...

The Defiant turret will be the real challenge and probably the single reason that this build make become a firestarter...
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2014, 05:28 PM

My kick-off has been rather frustrating as I muddled around with printer settings and paper types trying to get the best combination of weight and quality. Previously I have used a laser printer for this as there haven't really been any problems with either but inkjets are a bit more finicky...

I also pored over the instructions to make sure that I had identified all the parts that I will need for this part build - as you can see, the instructions leave a little to be desired and one can not assume that all the parts are in logical groupings...

Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 PM

A miscellany of test prints...

I think that I have identified all the parts that need to be laminated to thicker card, and have glued them to some scrap card...

When I say 'scrap card', I really mean 'scrap card'...this is a great hobby for recyclers...
Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Here's the other half of the instructions...
It should be noted that detail does not necessarily equate to accuracy or fit and many of the paper models from this era are hand-drawn and have fit issues. That being said, some of the hand-drawn models even going back into the 60s actually go together quite well...One of the challenges in paper modelling is that fit challenges are much more difficult to conceal with a dab of filler and a splash of paint - and the the medium does not take too kindly to excessive handling...but we wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun...would we?

Progress...
Fresh scalpel blade fitted and cutting commenced with Joe 90 playing in the background...the colours look a little washed out in this pic but they look OK in the flesh.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
used to go round those shows in uk where folks would buy and restore front 2-3 metres of aircraft.they are called cockfests lol.the museaum i worked in bought two phantom forward fuselages and restored them and we also had a comet cockpit
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2014, 05:31 PM

I took a day or so to redecipher the cockpit instructions to make sure I had all the bits right...as it turned out eventually, I was chasing after a part that belongs on another part of the aircraft...

Picking up on progress, today I have assembled the cockpit corners...the 0.5mm card is a bit less robust that what I am used to using (usually 1mm or thicker) and I have had to take more care to avoid bending the cards...

Apologies for the fizzi-ish pix...they are from my tablet as I have misplaced my camera (again!)...they show the cockpit framework completed...
As designed, there is a large gap in the former under the cockpit floor where the wheel wells would go in a full build but in the interests of structural strength I have added two extra strips of card across the gap.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 PM

PS...while taking the first pic, the cockpit bulkhead popped loose which is why it looks a bit askew and I have tacked it back in place in the second pic...
Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM

A clearer shot of last night's progress...
The build is not as tidy as I would like as it has been some time since I have done any serious paper modelling (the small scale Armour GB around this time last year!) and so I am a bit rusty...I spend a number of hours yesterday looking for my circle cutter and without it (it remains unfound) I am having to cut the round parts freehand - this is not that hard but the cutter does make this quicker and easier...

And this morning, I added B10 between the cockpit and the turret...I had to trin about a mm off the top of the rearmost bulkhead to get it to fit flush...I couldn't see how it would fit otherwise and I don't think (famous last words) that this will create any issues downstream...
I also took it over to the heavy industry area and reinforced all the interior seams with the hot glue gun...

Tonight I shall start cutting and assembling the components for the cockpit...
Old 01-17-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
used to go round those shows in uk where folks would buy and restore front 2-3 metres of aircraft.they are called cockfests lol.the museaum i worked in bought two phantom forward fuselages and restored them and we also had a comet cockpit
That's the idea I had - although there is only one surviving Defiant, it is one of my more favourite aircraft and I thought it would have been if perhaps more had not been converted into razor blades and were instead disposed of post-war and found their way into small museums and garages...
Old 01-17-2014, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a neat idea for a display, Simon. Looks like you're off to a good start, and I enjoyed the images and narrative as you got this launched.

I have always liked the appearance of the Defiant (I seem to lean toward aircraft that were less effective oeprationally but that look nice), so I am glad to see this build in progress.

Don
Google Adsense