PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-19-2014, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.02 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
dcoquelet, with respect, I think you have missed the point of laminating two 80 gsm sheets
instead of using 160 gsm sheets. When the two sheets are glued together, they form a
very controllable template. You can curl, bend, etc the part to shape easier than doing it
with 160 gsm paper. Perhaps, give it a try and you'll see the difference.

Papermate
OK papermate, i'll try but i'm afraid that the glue (i use white glue for wood) will make wrinkled the surface.. which is not surely good for a clean aspect
What kind of glue do you use..?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Hi, dcoquelet, I use Elmer's Glue All, a white glue. Apply the glue to the surface, and then
spread out evenly, not too thick, and then on to the other side, same way. Press them
together, smooth out the glue with your fingers and that's it. For larger pieces, best if you
can place a heavy hardback book (one or a few more would do even better) over the glued
or what we call the laminated pieces. If not in a hurry, leave it overnight. If you
want to bend it, like making the leading edge of the wing, then skip the part about
pressing with heavy books. Just bend or curl the make the leading edge and let
it dry just like that. The dampness of the glue will likely warp the paper a bit
but once it's dry, you can smooth out the part by using anything that is round
like a pen, a chopstick or a rod and even your fingers. It should do the trick.

Papermate
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrjanzen View Post
Thanks Bruno!
But then how do they attach to the A/C? I assume the circled parts are the struts.I ASSUME they fold along the long axis. Beyond that it is a bit confusing.

BTW Mathew. I highly recommend Bruno's 100 scale models. Dispute what it may seem, they are pretty simple to put together once you get used to his system. I have done the Zero and the Kate.
Hi Lonnie,

Sorry for having kept you waiting.
here are some pictures of he Val model that hopefully will help you understand the model better.
If not, let me know.

Bruno
Attached Thumbnails
Bruno's Planes-p1120688.jpg   Bruno's Planes-p1120689.jpg   Bruno's Planes-p1120690.jpg   Bruno's Planes-p1120691.jpg   Bruno's Planes-p1120692.jpg  

Old 05-20-2014, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 124.56 MB
Got It! I came up with the same thing last night, but you confirmed it! I had been trying to roll the struts along the wrong axis. The what had me confused was the little triangle in the middle of the strut. I Kept trying to cut it out and fold on the long axis :-\. Thanks for the images. Damn! I put the wheels on in the wrong place!. Guess I will have to re-due the model!

Once I get the Val done (again), I'll post images of all three Japanese aircraft.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Hi, dcoquelet, I use Elmer's Glue All, a white glue. Apply the glue to the surface, and then
spread out evenly, not too thick, and then on to the other side, same way. Press them
together, smooth out the glue with your fingers and that's it. For larger pieces, best if you
can place a heavy hardback book (one or a few more would do even better) over the glued
or what we call the laminated pieces. If not in a hurry, leave it overnight. If you
want to bend it, like making the leading edge of the wing, then skip the part about
pressing with heavy books. Just bend or curl the make the leading edge and let
it dry just like that. The dampness of the glue will likely warp the paper a bit
but once it's dry, you can smooth out the part by using anything that is round
like a pen, a chopstick or a rod and even your fingers. It should do the trick.

Papermate
I also have used this technique with white glue. I don't like using the organic solvent spray glue. I recommend putting same wax paper between the glued laminated sheets and the "press book" just in case some white glue seeps out from the edges.
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Just to show you some example of using white glue to double up a part. This Bullet wing
is made up of two layers of the same weight paper, namely, 140 gsm. The final product is
280 gsm. It was just glued together, flattened with my fingers and not even book-pressed and let dry.
The beauty of this method is that you can manage, control, curl, bend and you name it the
part to subdue it to its limits. See if you can find any warps etc? Even if there is
any, you can smooth it out over a flat surface.

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
Bruno's Planes-dscn2473.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2474.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2475.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 PM

Grumman S2 Tracer, originally 1/300, enlarged to 1/200 to fit my collection of 1/200 Navy planes. Photos have been posted here http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/a...tml#post426625.

And newer pictures of this very special bird are posted here, in different background and settings, for your enjoyment of Bruno's wonderful design. Me?
I'm just executing the build process.

Papermate
Attached Thumbnails
Bruno's Planes-dscn2526.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2527.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2530.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2531.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2532.jpg  

Bruno's Planes-dscn2533.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2534.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2535.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2536.jpg   Bruno's Planes-dscn2538.jpg  

Bruno's Planes-dscn2540.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 03:25 PM

Here is my build of Bruno's 100 scale Zero. This is part of my Pearl Harbor Project.
Attached Thumbnails
Bruno's Planes-mitsubishi-a6m2-zero-1.jpg   Bruno's Planes-mitsubishi-a6m2-zero-2.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 03:27 PM

This is a Continuation of my last post. Here is my buy build of Bruno' Val.
Attached Thumbnails
Bruno's Planes-aichi-d3a2-val-1.jpg   Bruno's Planes-aichi-d3a2-val-2.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Finally (for the IJN) Here is the Kate. I believe Bruno just redid this model before I bought it. I added the torpedo from another model.
Attached Thumbnails
Bruno's Planes-nakajima-b5n2-kate-1.jpg   Bruno's Planes-nakajima-b5n2-kate-2.jpg  
Google Adsense