PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
This was the first of Bruno's models where I had fit problems that may not be my fault.
That makes me ... human !!!!
M4 looks good to me despite the errors in the design, Anne. (but hey, I'm prejudiced)

Carlos,
I did not expect my little spit to come out reasonably well at 1/200 scale. (of course the talent of the builder helps a lot here )
The Spitfire (as is the P-51) IMHO is rather unforgiving when designing. It is so popular and so typical that a paper model is always too approximate. It took me 8 tries to get a reasonable 1/100 scale model.
So my very simple 1/300 scale design is still acceptable when scaled by 150%.

Bruno
Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Yea, Carlos, the camera lens is much sharper than the human eye
and is unforgiving. We don't usually examine our finished work to
such an extent. Anyway, your build looks very good indeed, taking
into consideration the small scale that you are building it.

Papemate
Old 07-14-2015, 12:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe View Post
Great Nieuport, Sygrod!

Your M-4 is still a great build Amccombs3!

As to my builds, I messed up the wing and the canopy of Bruno's Spitfire Vb (upscaled by 150% to 1:200). I should have payed more attention when closing the wings. The close up pictures are really hard on defects that are barely visible with the naked eye. I reused the simple landing gear I made years ago for Olli's tiny Spits.

Attachment 253685Attachment 253686Attachment 253687Attachment 253688Attachment 253689Attachment 253690Attachment 253692
Are they Bruno's sold models?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
Thanks Papermate & Bruno.

@DWK, no they're part of Bruno's free 1:300 range.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 664.90 MB
My progress has been abysmal. Managed to get the undercarriage on and concluded that I should have had the line inside the cross piece so that I could true the part up. Too late. It will have to do. Next, I will try to finish up the inside and stretch and glue the "wires". The miniscule machine gun is also a source of frustration. I can't seem to get a small enough cylinder out of it. I will get it in the end. In the mean time. Can any of you geve me some advice on how to roll such a small cylinder, about two millimeters and glue it successfully?

Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2015, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
Stahlhart's Minute Top Gun F-18 1/263 that's how papermate does it, and he's got a really good track record with small models

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Old 07-17-2015, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sygrod View Post
Can any of you geve me some advice on how to roll such a small cylinder, about two millimeters and glue it successfully?
Here is a little sketch to try to explain how I do these ridiculously small machine guns.

first I score the barrel about 5 times along its axis. (just scoring one line next to the other.)

then I try to "roll" this into a tube, which usually ends up a bit squared. I use my nails to get the folds more or less aligned with the barrel.

and once this is done, I roll the rest slightly larger so that you get the illusion that the barrel is at the bottom of the bigger cooling tube.

Not sure if this is clear, but at least I tried
Attached Thumbnails
Bruno's Planes-p1160519.jpg  
Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.48 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sygrod View Post
Can any of you geve me some advice on how to roll such a small cylinder, about two millimeters and glue it successfully?
I have a set of embroidery needles, about .5mm to 1.5mm, plus a couple diameters of toothpicks and wooden skewers.

What I do is find one the right size, then roll the paper under the needle or stick, on a piece of foam rubber, until the paper curls all the way around. Sometimes I cut the piece with extra paper on the inside, so that the tube rolls into layers.

When I have it rolled tightly around the needle or stick, I hold it in place, and lift the edge to be glued with my fingernail. I put a tiny amount of glue under the lifted edge, with a toothpick or syringe, press it down, wipe the excess, and then roll it tight again against the foam rubber.

I've used this technique to make machine gun barrels, exhaust pipes, and rolled landing gear legs. It takes a bit of practice, but I've found it to be effective.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 664.90 MB
Thanks. Excellent ideas.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
I built a Mustang to go with the israeli Spitfires. The fuselage is a bit too round and the wings glued a bit too high on the fuselage but I like the result. I also need no learn to wait longer for the glue to dry before attaching the canopy to the fuselage.

Bruno's Planes-s-p-p-51d-il-d190-01.jpgBruno's Planes-s-p-p-51d-il-d190-02.jpgBruno's Planes-s-p-p-51d-il-d190-03.jpgBruno's Planes-s-p-p-51d-il-d190-04.jpgBruno's Planes-s-p-p-51d-il-d190-05.jpg

I need to revise the fuselage stripe before releasing the model. Also need to redo the MLG struts of the 3D version of the landing gear. This one uses the simple 2D version.

Last edited by cafe; 07-29-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Google Adsense