PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Siemns-Schuckert-DIII - Aces of ECardmodels

It's been about a year since I've worked on any models. Have bought a few but none have moved under the knife.
I was browsing ECardmodels.com the other day and came across this little beauty and it caught my eye. So I bought it and now my eyes are going cross-eyed. Compared to what most folks build on here it's probably pretty simple, but I think it will tax my experience. One thing in the write-up on ECardmodels.com is it says "Typical Marek design and construction." Not much of a help if you've never experienced a Marek model before.

I notice there are no finished pictures of this model. I hope I can build it well enough the supply Chris with some. The published scale is 1:33 but I will build it at approx 1:18 - not for more detail, just easier for me to see and handle the parts. I imported the pages into Adobe Illustrator and scaled up to fit 13" x 19" paper.
I notice you are left to create many of the tabs/joining strips on your own. I'll start with the easy parts first and slowly work up to the more difficult things.
I built a model for the ECardmodels.com contest a couple of years ago and that was pretty complicated (for me, anyways). Nowadays my brain seems to have more problems envisioniing and processing all the parts.

This is the write up as it appears on ECradmodels.com-

The Seimens Schuckert D.III had an over compressed, counter-rotary 11 cylinder 16 hp engine with a propeller and cylinders that rotated opposite to the crankcase. This allowed a slower propeller speed and eliminated torque to a large degree. However, the reduced speed of the rotating cylinders, along with the poor oil available caused the engines to overheat.

Twenty planes were deployed to front line units where the engines would overheat and seize up after only 10 or so hours of operation. This resulted in all D.IIIs being pulled from service until the problem was resolved. At the First Fighter Competition in January 1918, outfitted with a bigger engine and a cutaway cowling to improve engine cooling the D.III was the fastest plane in the Axis fleet and had an astonishing, for its time, rate of climb.

An immediate order was placed for 80 more D.IIIs which were delivered in June 1918. After more modifications , including a redesigned rudder, an additional 310 D.IIIs were ordered through October 1918, although only 136 were delivered.

Even though the D.III was strongly favored by a number of well-known pilots,the delays in production caused by engine overheating and associated issues meant that the D.III was never produced in sufficient numbers to have any effect on the war.

This paper model depicts a Siemens Schukert D.III as it was for its pilot Leutnant Walter Gottsch. Leutnant Gottsch was killed before he ever flew his plane and it is uncertain if this particular plane ever flew in combat in this or any other guise.

Paper Model Details: 103 parts on 3 pages, 3 pages of assembly diagrams. Typical Marek design and construction.

Degree of Difficulty: 3 of 5
Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 AM

For some reason the pictures did not post. Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Siemns-Schuckert-DIII - Aces of ECardmodels-001-siemns-schuckert-diii.gif   Siemns-Schuckert-DIII - Aces of ECardmodels-002-siemens-schuckert-190percent-illustrator.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Looking forward to watching this build. Should be a beauty!!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
One of my favorite planes of WWI. I'll following the thread.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is excellent news, Joe! I'm glad that you are getting back into paper modeling and that you are working on one of the Marek designs. I will follow your thread closely.

It should be quite a model in 1/16 scale (the scale of Leif Ohlsson and a guy named Dave). Didn't you once do something similar (enlargify) the FG Lanchester armored car?

By coincidence, I started a Marek model (Polikarpov I-16 in Chinese markings) yesterday after a long time away from building, so I take a particular interest in your project.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Thanks, guys.
I started printing out the parts yesterday. Want to get some mounted up today as we have a big storm coming tomorrow and if we lose power, I can get in a little building.

Don, yes, I did scale up the FG Lanchester. I like big scale and it's easier for my fumble-fingers to work with. I still have Kooklits Type VII U-Boat on the build shelf at 1:48.
I'm not planning any extra detail here as I'd like it to represent the model as it comes. That way if I get good pics, Chris can use them (if he'd like) on the model page at ECardmodels. I think he prefers them au natural.

I've been following the I-16 thread and look forward to your build of that. It's another favorite and one I'd like to tackle, also. There's been some good info popping up in that thread. Will you start a separate build thread?

Joe
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.13 MB
Very interesting. I will follow this build.

Theo
Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 AM

First baby-steps completed.
This is the first model I've built that had formers/supports for the rudder.
Attached Thumbnails
Siemns-Schuckert-DIII - Aces of ECardmodels-003-rudder-parts.gif   Siemns-Schuckert-DIII - Aces of ECardmodels-004-rudder-build.gif   Siemns-Schuckert-DIII - Aces of ECardmodels-005-rudder-complete.gif  
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good beginning with the vertical stabilizer.

Don
Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM

Before I get to far along with this build I want to give a shout-out to Thomas Meek. He contacted me right away and offered up his build thread of the Siemens-Schuckert D-III Star.

It can be seen here:
Siemens-Schuckert D-III Star

Beautifully built model with some nice helpful info. Also very inspirational. Hope I can come close.

Joe