PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-07-2014, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Most interesting!

Thank you, Leif, Rubén and Salvador, for the added valuable information! The 1/8th scale Hasegawa drawings are fascinating - I have printed out a couple of pages already, and of course the fine black & white cutaway.

This might blow some new life into the Fokker DR.1 425/17 build that I started a year or so ago, who knows...

I will follow this thread intensely, looking forward to seeing any progress whatsoever.
Best of luck with a 1/8th scale paper build!

Bengt in Stockholm
Old 03-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Fokker DR.I 1/8th Scale

Hi Rusty,

This build thread at Britmodeller is very inspiring:
Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker DR/1 Build - Page 6 - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

Best of luck with your paper build!

Bengt in Stockholm
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
thanks Bengt, it's probably going to be a while before I get to it but thought I'd better start gathering materials.

Rusty
Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Guys, you've really got to see the 3D-renderings of the Fokker Dr.I by airart3d.com.

Click on the images at that site to see them even larger. Save & savor! As recommended by jjb89 in Ray's (Texman) thread 1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway.

- L.
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker DR1-closeup-2-600x393.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 07:39 AM

Thank you Leif for the link, now I have to figure out how to get around my nemesis...paper tubed, the two of use don't get along too well, but I hate cones even more. :D
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
... Then don't use paper tubes, but figure out something else we all can learn from and appreciate...

Plastic might be wonderfully well suited for that, if you can figure out where to buy suitable dimensions from, readily available. As would perhaps electric leads of suitable dimensions, preferably with solid copper (not stranded) wire inside. Or just copper wire soldered, if you are into that. In any case, the tubular framework would have to be painted - like the original ones were.

Or straws from straw mats or french curtains, if they are reasonably smooth in shape.

Or, if you build a cutaway model with paper skins still intact, except for suitable cutaways, perhaps even soaked & shaped spaghetti, dried, painted and glued to the inside of the skin parts.

You see how I've been there in my mind before, but never for real...

- Leif
Old 03-08-2014, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
I've been watching this thread develop and I hope this model actually comes about.

I recall that there is/was a candy called Tootsie-Roll Pops that had rolled paper handle that was about 4" long. It was really very ridged and stiff.

My wife use to make home made candy and she would buy these cardboard sticks from a candy making supply company somewhere in the Eastern US, she can't remember its name, but it might be a place to look.

I googled paper sticks and found http://www.setterstix.com/
They might be worth looking at.

They sell 12" long 5mm diameter sticks ( largest) and smaller/shorter.

Good luck,

SFX
Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM

Thanks guys, solid copper would work, I do a lot of soldering so that wouldn't be a problem and then it can be painted aluminum or chrome. it will definitely be a mixed media model as I just can't for the life of me try to make the cabling out of paper :D
Old 03-08-2014, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 600.66 MB
Very nice and interesting model. So detaled.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Marek Rys

Thank you, Leif,

for drawing our attention to that wonderful art work link! Marek Rys is indeed a talented airplane artist - the Fok. F.I 103/17 of Wehrner Voss is magnificent! All images are duly savored and saved!

Rusty,

Wouldn't it be nice if you could conjour up some suitable material for the round fuselage tubing (wooden grill skewers, if they are even enough on the surface, perhaps?), a Hasegawa model is very expensive, if you can hold of one...
Hasegawa Museum Quality 1 8 Fokker Dr I German Triplane Multi Media Model Kit | eBay

All the best,
Bengt
Google Adsense