PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Hi Darren,

Don't worry about your skill set. This model really looks like a Mustang .... err Thunderbolt
to be honest, I'm always learning new things too.

Nice job on the canopy.

Bruno
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Great job on the engine, and the rest! really coming together.

JoeG
Old 04-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.70 MB
Thanks Bruno and Joe. I will keep plugging along. Hopefully when all is said and done it will be close to what I envisioned. - Darren
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM

Hello Everyone,
This is not a proud "look at what I did" post. This is a "What just happened" type of post. I attached my canopy yesterday. After a few muttering moments and some sticky fingers I got it attached. All seemed right with the world. It wasn't great, but i was ok with it. As with most parts of this project I learned from it. I set the plane down to completely dry. 2 hours later I came back and gasp, heave, sigh.....It looked like I had a cockpit fire and the canopy collected all the smoke. So if anyone has ideas what I did wrong, please let me know. I used 2 types of glue. Locktite Superglue Gel and Crafters Pick Ultimate Glue. I am pretty sure one of those was the culprit. I was extremely carefull to not get either on the plastic other than at the joint. The plastic came from a Light bulb package. Not sure if I will be able to clean it up and I don't think I can get the canopy off without tearing the paper. Thanks for checking in. I guess if there is a section of the forum titled "what not to do" I might be leading the charge on this build.
Darren
Attached Thumbnails
P-47D 1/87 scale Scissors and Planes-canopy-1.jpg   P-47D 1/87 scale Scissors and Planes-canopy-2.jpg   P-47D 1/87 scale Scissors and Planes-canopy-3.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Indeed a pitty. I sympathise with you.

And I really don't know what chemical reaction would have lead to this result. I don't use superglue and when I use plastic it does not react with the glue I use (which is Scotch Gel glue from 3M).

Bruno
Google Adsense
Old 04-28-2014, 02:12 PM

Thanks Bruno. I may just take a really sharp scalpal to it and try to get the back section of canopy off and start over.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.85 GB
The fumes from super glue will damage many plastics and is most obvious with the clear variety. It crazes the surface and is not generally removable without some serious polishing.

Superglue Corp makes a product called Plastic-Fuse recommended for use on plastic and children's toys. Have not tried that one personally.

Many a hobbyist will seal the plastic with an acrylic varnish or floor wax. Remember to do both sides as the fumes can get around.

I have been playing with vacuum forming PETG (clear soda bottle-type or packaging plastic) canopies and leaving additional material at the bottom to glue to the inside of the fuselage with latex adhesive.

Good luck and I love the threads on mini's.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.21 MB
i like it,i would lend you my straight jacket but i need it even after a much larger scale build
Old 04-30-2014, 03:07 PM

I know everyone was holding their breath, but I was able to remove the offending rear canopy section and will try again. Hangman - I may need that jacket soon.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Hello Everyone, Thanks for checking in.

After a few weeks of inactivity I finally got up the courage to do some work. I am not sure why I couldn't get up the will to keep going, but I think it has something to do with my skills and brain aren't working together. But we must press on. I promised to complete this build and thread no matter what.

I was able to get the landing gear completed and attached. The wheels I laminated 4 layers of thick cardstock together, cut out the rough wheel shape and then using an emery board sanded the wheels round. I mounted them to toothpicks and then attached the wheel covers to that. After they were mounted I think they look a little to wide for the scale?

The front cowling and prop spinner were the next tasks to tackle. The cowling front got a bit out of shape so I may go back and try to soften it and form it better. I was pretty happy with the prop spinner. I had been racking my brain on how to get a decent looking spinner. I fell upon the solution of using a Loli-pop stick, which I sanded round on one end and then colored silver. I like it. For the props (Not Shown) I sliced the sticks in thin disks and mounted the prop blades to them. then I mounted the whole thing to the Prop spinner. I only have 2 on so far so picks yet.

Getting closer to the end now. Still have to mount the Bazooka tubes, create a flat drop tank used in that portion of the war and then re-do my Bubble top.

Thanks again for stopping by. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Darren
Attached Thumbnails
P-47D 1/87 scale Scissors and Planes-engine-1.jpg   P-47D 1/87 scale Scissors and Planes-front-1.jpg   P-47D 1/87 scale Scissors and Planes-wheels-1.jpg