PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway

When Getter1 started working on his I-16 frame model, I decided I wanted to again attempt
something I have not done. A cutaway model. So, when Salvadore finished the Fokker D.VIII,
I knew what next model would be. I had already worked up my percentages, and done a test build
on a couple of small parts to check the feasability of this endeavor. It seemed solid, and I
was excited. Then, I saw in Salvadore's thread where he is doing the same. I became less excited.

However, my build will differ in a couple of ways. First, I imported the frame work into
Photoshop at 300 dpi to prevent the jaggies. Then, I rearranged the pieces to fit on
sheets for the scale enlargement.

With this done, I decided at this scale, the framework needed a wood texture, as the
airframe was made of wood. Finding a suitable woodgrain, I printed each side of my
cardstock with the woodgrain.

Following a moderate ink drying time, I then printed the framework over the woodgrain,
resulting in a framework the looks like the samples below.

I intend to use one of the repaints of Kampfflieger's D.VIII done by Anna Baranova of
Small Paper Things, as seen in the graphic here.

1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-graphic.jpg1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-1.jpg1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-2.jpg

As I am packing up for another contest weekend, I will continue updates next week.

If anyone has some really good cutaway/internal pictures or drawings of the Fokker D.viii/E.v, please let me know!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 03-07-2014, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Oh this is gonna be good :D

G1
Old 03-08-2014, 02:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Fokker E.V / D.VIII Rib Model 1/72 Scale

Hi Ray,

Model designer/ builder Salvador Ortega of this forum has done an excellent little 1/72 rib model of the Fokker E.V / D.VIII! I downloaded it from his site only yesterday - check it out, it's on the middle of the page - and it's FREE: Modelismo en Papel - Salvador Ortega Cabrera

There are of course other, larger drawings - I'll see what I can find...

Bengt in Stockholm
Old 03-08-2014, 03:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Ray,
Try this for starters, they are buildeng a replica. The original fuselage was made of tubular tubing and there were some plywood covers on both sides and the upper back of the fuselage. The only wooden construction was the wing (covered with canvas though) so you have to rethink the colour of the fuselage again (including vertical and horizontal stabilizer, rudder and elevators).
Lots of pictures in the net of old ones, actual factory pics too like this:

Here's one nice site with some drawings. Here's a sample:

Tappi
Old 03-08-2014, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi!

As Tapcho says, Fokker's fuselage wasn't wooden. Even E.I has fuslage from metal tubes.
Here are some nice renders, Dr.I but clearly showing main idea.

Regards!
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2014, 04:57 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Bengt, thank you, the structure from Salvador is the kit I am using as the basis of the skeletal structure.

Tappi, thank you. Yes, you are correct, I must rethink the fuselage structure. If nothing else, perhaps a metal color.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Ray, you're doing something I've aiming for, for many years but never quite felt ready for - you're going to build true cutaway model, interior structure plus skin, with removed skin sections. This genre should be the real forte of paper modeling; no other medium could attain such a model as efficiently and doable for the common person. Well conceived. I applaud the effort, and will follow closely, at whatever pace you set.

Warm regards, Leif

And thank you, all you who contributed fantastic sites. 3d-rendering has come a very long way. I cannot stress enough the superior quality of the airart3d.com renderings of the Dr.I. I hope the quys contemplating builds of the Dr.I follow this thread...
Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
all I can say is OH MY GAWD...tubular paper I hate paper tubes with a passion.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a magnificent project. Flyboy. It will really test those skills you have been developing and, as in the case of Leif's projects and those of several other of the ne plus ultra Forum members your build is already bringing together many other skilled researchers/designers/builders so that the thread will be a wealth of historical and model building information.

Pretty exciting stuff.

Custodi in fugum!

Dogface
Old 03-10-2014, 02:11 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Rudder experiment

After being given the fact that I needed to make parts of the aircraft from tubing,
I set upon a plan to simulate this in paper.

I decided the best way to accomplish this was by use of a jig to help form
the part. Using two copies of the rudder from Salvador's kit, I glued them
both to some heavy cardboard. Cutting out the interior pieces, I glued those
onto the second copy of the rudder, forming a raised form to shape the
curved portion, and act as an alignment jig for the straight pieces.
These you can see in the first two pictures.

1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-jig-1.jpg1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-jig-2.jpg

The next logical step was to form the outer frame of the rudder. After a
serious thinking session, I came upon a method that combines some plastic
ideas, some wooden ship planking ideas, and some paper model ideas. Finding
a very thin, flexible piece of rod styrene, I rolled the paper very tightly
around the styrene, which now provides interior support to keep the paper
from crimping when it is bent. After glueing the seam, I wet the paper to make it malleable.

Using "T" pins, I worked my way around the form, shaping and pinning the paper tube
and rod in place. Once satisified with this, I walked away to let the paper tube dry.
Once dry, I slid the styrene rod out and, there you go, a formed, curved paper tube.
After pinning this back in place, I then measured the easy (straight) pieces and glued
them into the jig as well. 1mm of paper rolled tightly seems to be the magic number.

1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-tubing-1.jpg1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-tubing-2.jpg

When the glue had dried, the nearly complete piece was trimmed and then carefully
removed from the form. Small attachment points were then given an extra support of glue.

1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-rudder-1.jpg

I then spray painted the rudder assembly with a silver metallic. I do not like this color,
as it is more chrome, not aluminum. I will be making a run to HobbyTown USA to acquire
some non buffing aluminum metalizer paint, and repaint it. However, I will attach a
picture of it right now, just to show the effect.

1/32 Fokker E.v cutaway-rudder-2.jpg

Despite the fact it was aluminum tube frame in the original aircraft, I think I can pull this off using paper.

Should be interesting.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense