PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking very good, Mike. I certainly appreciate your problem-solving as it will make my next attempt at this model a lot easier.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Micheal,

Looks like you are having fun despite having a redo early in the game. I will be watching this one for some ideas when I start my second paper AC project.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Generally it's not a bad kit so far. it requires extra effort to get it right since you cannot just cut the parts out and glue them together, but the result should be well worth the time.
Toryu is a very good looking plane and the artwork on this kit is outstanding - this of course gives me extra motivation to overcome all the obstacles to get this model into my collection.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 PM

Gunner/radio operator cockpit
Inside skins are to long and require trimming to accomodate the bulkhead.
Floor is to long and also requires trimming. Bigger problem is the fact that floor is to narrow. Since I already cut the spare kit for the pilot's cockpit, I got the second floor oversized and started trimming/fitting until I got the right size - there are no reference points on the formers to help you. Turns out that the floor needed extra 1mm on each side to fit nicely inside the walls. Photo shows much bigger gap only because there is no former on the front end.
I used spare parts to cut narrow strips of card to cover the white add-on and also to put something under the opening in the floor.
So far skins allign pretty well so at least here there are no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-08.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-09.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-10.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-11.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-12.jpg  

Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM

Mike, you mention "spare kits". Does it mean after you found 1mm thick card is not suitable you laminated another kit and use first kit as spare? If so perhaps we need to prepare two kits to have satisfactory result....or am I wrong?
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Yu,
Correct. After the original fiasco, this kit became a reservoir of spare parts for the second attempt.
If you are aware of the issues, then one copy of the kit should be enough since all of them are easily fixable, but if you want a back-up, scan the interior parts - the biggest issues so far are some parts are not being big enough.
I prefer to have two copies (I actually always buy three ) for the build as I tend to rush a bit which from time to time will result in making the stupidest errors :o
Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMir View Post
Yu,
Correct. After the original fiasco, this kit became a reservoir of spare parts for the second attempt.
If you are aware of the issues, then one copy of the kit should be enough since all of them are easily fixable, but if you want a back-up, scan the interior parts - the biggest issues so far are some parts are not being big enough.
I prefer to have two copies (I actually always buy three ) for the build as I tend to rush a bit which from time to time will result in making the stupidest errors :o
Thanks, Mike. Now clear. You are generous-hearted customer. On the other hand I always buy one copy from your shop....:o
Old 03-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuG View Post
Thanks, Mike. Now clear. You are generous-hearted customer. On the other hand I always buy one copy from your shop....:o
I know my limitations and the last thing I want is to have to wait few weeks for a replacement kit when (not "if") I mees up something...
Add to that the fact that several of the kits I will be building in the near future are rather old and long out of print.
I guess I'm the perfect example to confirm Old Troll's research (see his signature :D)

I would be surprised and certainly ask a question if you, or anybody else, bought two copies of the same electronic kit - it actually happened three or four times and except for one instance (bought for a friend as well) it was a mistake...
Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Gunner's cockpit is completed.
The only issue here is the fact that part K2 (T-shaped brown part on the wire) is to small to wrap around the wire as intended. My solution was to reverse it so the white, uncovered field is at the bottom and hidden from view.
Started on the oblique firing cannons and found another problem...
Slots in the upper fuselage do not match with the guns :(
Based on the photo of the original plane, gun barrells are in correct position if the skin is placed over them, but the entire assembly is to much forward.
Either former that is the base of the assembly should be reversed (there is nothing in the kit suggesting how this should be installed and the drawing actually shows it exactlly centered..) or the location of the guns is marked in the wrong place.
I checked fotos of the Ki-45 built bt Millenio (zealot) and Walter (kartonbau) and both of them solved this by cutting longer openings for the guns. This looks a bit unnatural so I will probably move the guns back instead. Have to think about this a bit....
Attached Thumbnails
Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-13.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-14.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-15.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-16.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu.jpg  

Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 PM

Nothing helps in thinking better than doing some yard work
I moved the gun assembly back to position it under the skin openings. Reversing the base will help, but not all that much since the location for the guns is in the wrong place...
After having this done, I decided to try something I picked up from our shipbuilding friends and put leather thingies (anybody knows what they are called?) around the barrels. I wasn't so daring as to put any glue on them, though - this is one ply of tissue, colored with brown brush pen.
I also placed another part of the gunner's canopy just to see how it's going to fit - no problems here.
Attached Thumbnails
Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-17.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-18.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-19.jpg   Enter the Dragon (Slayer) - FlyModel Ki-45 Toryu-ki-45-toryu-20.jpg  
Google Adsense