PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/72 A6M Zero (FG)

A couple of weeks ago I started working on a "simple" airplane model: Fiddler's Green A6M Zero. My folder contains 2 versions, a rather pristine pale gray Pearl Harbor version, and a really war-weary looking green version. I chose the battle scarred green one.

I did a little internettin', and discovered that this airplane was part of the Tsukuba Kokutai. This special attack force (Kamikaze) was comprised of 6 units, totalling 55 A6M2 Zeros, and participated in late war suicide attacks against American Naval task forces sailing near Tokunoshima and Tanegashima, as well as strikes during the battle of Okinawa.

The build wasn't exactly easy or trouble free. The engine disc was way too big for the cowl, the cowl ring was too small, the cone at the rear end of the drop tank was way too small. I had to print these parts out several times at various sizes until I got a good fit. Both the spinner and the front of the drop tank are petalled, and even worse, they're imprecise hand drawn petals. All that being said, I'm very happy with the final product.

The only modification to the stock kit was the exhaust pipes which are formed from small diameter solder. The model isn't quite done yet. I still need to add an antenna wire, and glue on the prop blades.

For the stand I chose a B&W picture of a Kamikaze pilot with the rising sun flag behind. The image is superimposed over a cloudy looking sky. The diagonal slot you see on the base will accept the upright that will support the model. I'll post final pictures after the build is finished. I'll bring this one down to Army Heritage Days too, Mr Boose.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zerobase_zps6c16929e.jpg   1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zero1_zps2422b836.jpg   1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zero2_zps0e889a52.jpg   1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zero3_zps6f1e45e0.jpg   1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zero4_zps38be9efb.jpg  

1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zero5_zps3769edbd.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Even with the problems you've found it still looks good

Tim
Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Very nice work on an early designed model. I really like your
work on the stand.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Model and stand look mighty fine.
I built this one, too. It's been a while so I don't recall the problems. The artwork for this one is very nice. I remember it being a favorite.

Look foward to the final combined with the stand.

JoeG
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Great job Don, I love the exhaust and the stand. It would be nice if some of these older FG models were re-drawn in SVG, perhaps not as much problems with the fit.

Nice clean build. Beautiful work.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your kind comments Tim, Ray, Joe and Gary. I agree Joe, the green one is the more interesting of the two - the weathered look is a departure for Fiddler's Green. Builder comments are available on each FG model before you download the file, and someone commented on the green model's over large engine disc. There are a few differences between the 2 versions: engine disc is different, drop tank nose is petalled on the green one, and a cone on the gray one. There were one or two other differences that I can't think of right now. I'm almost at the finish line. The base is all done, and the airplane is mounted and drying. I added an antenna wire cut from .012" steel guitar string. All that is left to do now is to glue on the prop blades and take some pictures.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Sorry to come late to the dance - been working an on-line USAWC forum.

This is great! You made the most of that troublesome model, the display base is terrific, and I much appreciate the historical info on the aircraft depicted by the model. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest in this one at Army Heritage Days.

As one who has tried and failed to beuild this one many times, I also appreciate the info on how you made it work.

Don
Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Interesting differences. I wonder if the gray version was an updated redraw?
But, yeah, the green version has a great look to it.

"Builders Comments" -yikes, never noticed before, do you mean in the text on the model page? I'll confess to sometimes just skim reading it. I need to pay more attention.
Haven't built an FG in a long time, should look again as I know there are some new ones I'd like to build.

Have always liked thier models and I got my taste for card modeling from Fiddlers.
Some of the more recent models are very nice.
Chip had given me Lifetime Magic Keys for some support I gave the site. He was very generous and even if I tried to pay for a model, the system would kick the payment out. I always felt at the prices they charged, I prefered to support the site with my cash.

I'd like to build the recent A9(?) repaint. Wish there was the A10 to support it.

JoeG
Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 AM

Thanks for looking in, Don. It wasn't the super easy build I was hoping for, but the finished product was worth the effort. I think the green one was the redraw/recolor, Joe. Almost all of the models have comments in the "What people are saying" section of the page. Most are full of praise, but sometimes there are critiques, and even build complaints. Chip put the good and the bad out there for all to see. Quite a guy.

Anyway, here are a few parting shots of the completed piece.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zero6_zpsa3c8b811.jpg   1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zero7_zpsb6ab3e8e.jpg   1/72 A6M Zero (FG)-zero8_zpsfae44969.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Fantastic Don.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense