PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
Man I don't have a wife but yours sounds cool! My family is always telling me to go outside of my workplace/room and socialize. But socializing here is so much better

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize

Last edited by paperengineer; 10-29-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: it posted before i finished typing for some odd reason...
Old 10-30-2014, 01:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Ha- what an interesting thread.

Defo means confirmed or definitely, some good modern slang there, example:

Question - area we going out tonight. Answer - yes its a defo.

I do agree about the social life in North Carolina, it probably is very good compared to the flat lands on Lincolnshire where I live. Lol

As for paper modelling, the wife tolerates it because its the least messiest of my hobbies.
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
Ha, this thread has taken a funny turn. My wife sometimes calls herself a model widow, but she's much more tolerant of the paper WWI biplanes I've been building lately than she was of my expensive brass train engine habit. Paper's waaaaay cheaper! And she thinks my "little planes are cute".

By the way Erik, your Mosquito is amazing! I've been following your build closely. Very cleanly built, and the curves, petals, and seams are all nicely done. (To get this thread back on track)
Old 10-31-2014, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Thanks again gents! My wife's generally very supportive , for she thinks it's a far better hobby than drinking (ha, ha) and other non-discrete activities, and definitely much cheaper than flying real airplanes. Unfortunately the latter has significantly reduced my "air time" in the past few years, and it'll only get worse in the years to come with all these tightening regulations in Europe.

Have a good weekend, I hope to show some progress on the bomb bay doors in the next update. And shame on me, the next project has already started, couldn't resist the temptation...

Erik
Old 11-01-2014, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.06 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgtaylorart View Post
Ha, this thread has taken a funny turn. My wife sometimes calls herself a model widow, but she's much more tolerant of the paper WWI biplanes I've been building lately than she was of my expensive brass train engine habit. Paper's waaaaay cheaper! And she thinks my "little planes are cute".

By the way Erik, your Mosquito is amazing! I've been following your build closely. Very cleanly built, and the curves, petals, and seams are all nicely done. (To get this thread back on track)
Yup, the whole "cute little planes" thing. Been there done that lol

-C-2A Greyhound
-Br.1050 Alize
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
It took me two days to read the entire thread of the Adventures in Mosquitoland, and many hours from my office time (oops! don't tell my supervisor); but it all is worth it because it's quite an interesting report.

And I'm learning lots and lots: canopy hardened with eggshell varnish, holding clamp for the dremel, plastic thingies to stiffen inner parts... and wives! Mine always supports me on my models - happy husband!

This thread is THE guide to build this model.

Anyway, I'm following you with great interest, Erik.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:33 AM

Thank you Gerardo, I'm honored. I enjoy writing this thread, and to learn about other PM's experiences and the fine models that they are building. All of your comment/remarks are welcome and appreciated and it provides encouragement to continue....
Checking the site takes a bit of time but it's rewarding and this hobby is truly boundary-less.

Bomb bay doors are progressing and update will follow soonest. Work is demanding at the moment and my wife has just started her own business, so I was quite occupied with interior design and construction work over the past few weeks.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 11-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Finally time to work on the last parts of the Mosquito: The bomb bay doors. First, the hinges. Orlik indicates they have to be doubled, but that's still too thin is my opinion. The hinges are the same as those for the wheel well doors, and these are made by using 0.5mm thick cardboard. So I doubled them and used 0.5mm cardboard. In total, there are 10 hinges I found it a horrible job to glue them on the inside of the bomb bay, see the first picture. Attaching the doors was an easier job and the use of a small hair drier came in very handy.
The rods appear a bit too long, but in fact they're not. After thorough drying of the hinge-door attachment, the doors should be gently pushed open a bit more and then everything fits.

Up so far I have only installed the two front rods and used a piece of cardboard to open the doors to the desired position in order to install the rods properly. The trick is in the tail here, it's not particularly the easiest part of the model. But I'm quite pleased with the result.

Two more to go, then final touch-ups to the model and finally spraying with varnish. Hopefully everything's done by the end of this month.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn5520.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn5521.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn5526.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn5532.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn5533.jpg  

Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn5534.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work Erik .

Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
very good work, the bomb cell looks wonderful.

YOAV
Google Adsense