PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
The pilots office is looking great Erik.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.47 MB
will be following this intently. very clean build so far...
to buy...or not to buy...damn you MAREK....damn you!!....ummm...can you make one more 1:50??
Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
That's a nice looking cockpit, keep on building!!!
NH78
Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind words and now it's my turn again to show some progress. Next week I'll be enjoying s short vacation so this will probably be the last posting before going to the Dutch Mountains (ha, ha).

Continued with the control column and glued it into place. Rolling the vertical part of the column stifly around the preshaped part of a paper clip worked out well by firstly glueing one edge to the metal, then let it dry. By using white paper glue, which softens up the paper as it gets a bit wet, the column can be shaped by rolling the paper gently. Make sure that both sides stay aligned. I used Tamiya paint from my plastic model days to touch up edges and paint the paper clip into more or less the same colour.

Next came the navigator's seat. Every edge has to be glued head on (I'm not sure if this is the correct wording, in Dutch it's called "stotend"); no glueing tabs provided. To reinforce the seats and backrest I completely filled them up with cardboard for easier handling while glueing the parts in place and to prevent damage by inadvertently pressing these hollow parts. It's all quite fragile without this minor fiddling (charming work but invisible in the end result)...

Finally, I punched small holes in the shoulder and lap straps to make it look more realistic.

Ok, lunchbreak's over, see you next time.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2196.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2197.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2199.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2200.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2202.jpg  

Old 05-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Enjoyed a week away in the countryside and now it's time again for an update. Finished the pilot's seat and attached it to the cockpit, same recipe as for the navigator's seat. The cockpit was actually quite cramped for two fully dressed up men, and it crosses my mind that the model would have been endlessly more interesting with paper pilots in the seats. I wonder if these kind of details are available at all.

That's all for now,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2203.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2204.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2205.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2206.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Nice update, Erik. Looking good. Hope your time away re-energized you!

JoeG
Old 05-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Beautiful detail Eric. Very nice work.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Enjoyed a week away in the countryside and now it's time again for an update. Finished the pilot's seat and attached it to the cockpit, same recipe as for the navigator's seat. The cockpit was actually quite cramped for two fully dressed up men, and it crosses my mind that the model would have been endlessly more interesting with paper pilots in the seats. I wonder if these kind of details are available at all.

That's all for now,
Erik
Erik,
For the pilots you could look at the following site :
Papermau: Pilot Paper Model Scale 1/25 And 1/33 - by John Griffin
Some recolouring could do the trick
Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
Looking good
NH78
Old 05-08-2014, 04:48 AM

Thanks gents. Yes indeed, the holiday was re-energizing, being outside the whole day enjoying hikes and running. Thanks Klaas for the link to the paper pilot. It's a bit late now to put him to work in the cockpit of the Mosquito but I will use it for a future project.

I finalized the radios, which are a bit flimsy without glueing tabs so I used 1mm thick carboard to make them stiffer and easier to handle and glue in the cockpit. Added a few details like knobs, which are not included in the model itself. Also got rid of the yellow/red/blue dials on the big radio, which look rather odd. Maybe not "historically correct" but to my opinion more realistic in a military aircraft.
Finally also included a few other details, such as the fire extinguisher (the model shows a flat one) and the yellow part below the navigator's seat (it looks a bit like a life vest??). I used internet pictures to give some guidance. Hope you enjoy the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2210.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2212.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2213.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2237.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2238.jpg  

Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2239.jpg   Orlik 1:33 De Havilland Mosquito FB VI-dscn2240.jpg  
Google Adsense