PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-18-2014, 03:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Orlik's B-25

I've been thinking for a long time about building a B-25. I'm not that much into military planes, it's mostly as a sort of tribute to the novel Catch 22. So I'd like to go for a detailed model with full interior (need to see the place where Yossarian & co were forced to fly).

The book mentions the transparent nose, so Orlik's B-25J seems perfect.

I would like to ask a couple of questions, part out of curiosity and part to decide whether to get this kit, Maybe someone with more knowledge than me could answer.

- If you see the built model pictures, is that version (with its livery) a plane that could have been used by the US in Europe during WWII? Or is it specific to the Pacific?

- Is this model very difficult to build? Compared for example with Ken West's X-15 that I'm building now, or Ton Noteboom Hubble model (or UHU02 Faro Basso that will be my next build).

I won't be building this very soon, but I'm excited by it .
Eloy
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
I'm guessing it won't be too much different to the Mosquito or PBJ - done to amazing standard by Bomarc a while back. (the thread is on here somewhere...)
As to markings you would need to know exactly which unit was in Catch 22. Designers tend to pick a real unit that they like & then use those markings. Many being Polish, choose Polish units using US or GB hardware.
You could alter the kit markings as req'd.
You can scan parts & redraw/repaint or make up decals etc. Depends how adventurous you are.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirondelle View Post
I'm guessing it won't be too much different to the Mosquito or PBJ - done to amazing standard by Bomarc a while back. (the thread is on here somewhere...)
As to markings you would need to know exactly which unit was in Catch 22. Designers tend to pick a real unit that they like & then use those markings. Many being Polish, choose Polish units using US or GB hardware.
You could alter the kit markings as req'd.
You can scan parts & redraw/repaint or make up decals etc. Depends how adventurous you are.

Adventurous but clumsy, specially with repaint/design :P. I found the PDF with the thread about the PBJ, which is an amazing build. I think might be a good guide for the B-25. The PBJ is very detailed, so I guess it'd be a very long build for me, but I was wondering whether besides the amount of work it's also a jump in difficulty from the models I mentioned in my first post.

About the unit, the book's squadron is fictional: the US Army Air Force 256th squadron. Their airbase is also fictional, they are located in Pianosa island, Italy. So as long as Orlik's model can pass as a Army Air Force B-25 flown by US in Europe between 1942 - end of 1944, it'd be fine. Maybe I'm being lazy for not checking myself but I feel these markings have lots of complicated details, that's why I asked.

Edit: Just remembered that the novel's author was a B-25 bombardier. His unit was 488th Bombardment Squadron, 340th Bomb Group, 12th Air Force. Though to be honest, based on the book and the author's words about his own war experience, I'd prefer NOT to build a B-25 from that specific unit .
Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Orlik model is of a specific aircraft in the markings of the 390th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group of the Thirteenth Air Force that served exclusively in the South Pacific, mostly in the Solomon Islands, in World War II. Information about the aircraft depicted is here:
http://www.oklahomamuseumofflying.org/b-25.htm
http://harrydole.com/42nd/ (42nd Bombardment Group)
390th Bombardment Squadron

All B-25s units were part of the 57th Bombardment Wing of the Twelfth Air Force. Here is a good starting place for information about the B-25 Mitchell units that served in Italy.
http://57thbombwing.com/about.php
http://www.warwingsart.com/12thAirForce/mitchellmap.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-25_Mitchell_units_of_the_United_States_Army_Air_Fo rces

Any of the aircraft that served with these units would be suitable for your purposes. I believe that most of the Italy-based B-25 units were equipped with B-25Js similar to the Orlik model by mid 1944. By that time, a lot of the B-25s were in natural aluminum, although many were still in olive drab and gray.

Other, more knowledgeable members of the Forum can provide most specific information.

Don
Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Cool links Don. You're a regular encyclopedia.

I found a B-25 build that reveals the difficulty of the kit.
Orlik B-25 build

Personally I have found I often want things more complex, maybe as it seems the only way to approach that 'gold standard' shown by the experts of the paper world. It's nice to do something simple but I realized 'complicated' can actually be a pile of 'simple' sub-assemblies on many occasions. I like the challenge even if I make a mess of it
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks. I do a lot of historical research on the web, as well as in archives and published sources, so can often track down elusive information, but there are others in this Forum that are far more adept and knowledgeable than I.

Incidentally, the first sentence of the second paragraph of my post should have read "All B-25s units in the Mediterranean were part of the 57th Bombardment Wing . . ."

Don
Old 06-18-2014, 03:42 PM

Thank you both for the links. Hirondelle, it looks difficult but can't resist! In case of a mess, I can always label the build something like "Returning from Bologna mission"...

From Don's links, I noticed that Joseph Heller was based in Corsica, so I can understand better the choice of Pianosa for the novel's fictional airbase.

Thank you Don for explaining about the model and color in Europe, talking about elusive information --at least you surprised me there . I wish I could have a model without markings, I think the author didn't want to link the events from the book with any actual group or squadron. Alternatively, I could just try to build Orlik's amazing kit as it is and stop thinking too much.

Curiously, building paper models pushes me to reading historical information. Usually I start building something for silly reasons and I end up reading for hours about it!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:53 AM

I think it is definitely worth trying the Mitchell, pushing the envelope is an important part of paper modeling.
I have a heap of plastic models here. They are not likely to be built by me. I think this is because seeing a paper model brings out a real creative impulse. As a plastic assembler, I just build someone elses creation, & paint it up.
As a Paper modeler I have to follow the foot-steps of the original creator, bending sheets & forming shapes.
That is where the research comes in. I need to look at the real thing to see how it evolved & what design decisions were made.
Making a model becomes an education so I find it far more rewarding.

Don - you are too modest, you get the kudos cos you took the time to weigh in!