PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
F-105 Thud - Hobby Model - Part identification

Hi all,

I have started building this model a few weeks ago. I am about to close the cockpit but I am at a stop, failing to find out what the part 36 is supposed to show. The instructions are very sketchy. According to the parts numbering, this part seems to be one of the components of the cockpit equipment but its shape does not give any indication on its purpose. Anybody has already built this kit and can give a tip on what to do with part 36 ?

I foresee also problems when fitting the main undercarriage legs on the wings. It seems that these legs are fixed onto plain paper cubes glued in the undercarriage wells: not realistic with regards to the kinematic of a real landing gear and questionable in term of sturdiness of the model. So, again if someone has already faced and fixed this problem, his suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
F-105 Thud - Hobby Model - Part identification-f-105-part-36.jpg   F-105 Thud - Hobby Model - Part identification-f-105-parts.jpg  

Last edited by PICARDIE; 07-01-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
I believe that is the hobby model representation of the control stick. put it between the seat and the rudder pedals closer to the seat. if there is and angle to it when built it leans back into the pilot seat
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation

I don't have this kit. However I have seen the plastic version in 32 scale. It needed strong support for the landing gear. I suggest building wood wing spars to connect the gear struts to. You will also need to attach the links and actuator for added support.

Also the part you identified is the control stick. I would discard it and make one from wood.

I was looking at this kit. It is a reprint and in my opinion not a good rendition. The colors are really off.

It is an impresive model though. Please post your build here .

Good luck

Isaac
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
CMDARTED is most likely correct the part number is in the cockpit sequence and it is the only part that resembles a control stick. the side view of the cockpit shows the top 1/3 of control stick being bent. Location would be the circle located on the cockpit deck. Play around with the cockpit it could stand some detail work see if you can find photos of the cockpit on the net and use them as your guide.

Jim Nunn
Old 07-02-2014, 04:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.38 MB
To me, the shape looks like lever for the landing gear switch, ahead of the throttle on the left side of the cockpit.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Thanks a lot friends (CMDRTED / Isaac / Jim Nunn / and Yeti) for your comments and suggestions.
They confirm what I thought about this part : if it is supposed to be the control stick, it is so far from the real thing, better to forget it and made one from scratch. This is what I did. Now, what to do with this bloody part 36 … ??, as suggested by Yeti it could be the lever for the landing gear switch.
Isaac, as for the “colors really off” of the kit, I think that nevertheless with a good weathering the plane can be given an acceptable look of old Vietnam War Vet.

Down the road I'll drop pics of the beast, but I work at a low pace. So, you must be patient.

Again, thanks a lot for your input and, for the US guys of this forum, I wish you a great Independence Day.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Is the name of this aircraft the polish glider? If so I had some brief correspondence with the pilot some years ago. He was General Dtyna who was later in charge of the space program from the USAF aspect. pretty cool guy to swap emails with a cardmodel enthusiast! I had sold the early Hobby Model version on ebay and he was intrigued that some one made a model of his aircraft.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM

Dear Lord it was Donald J Kutyna! Sorry memory is not serving as once before!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PICARDIE View Post
Isaac, as for the “colors really off” of the kit, I think that nevertheless with a good weathering the plane can be given an acceptable look of old Vietnam War Vet.Cheers
Incorrect colors is a pet peeve of mine. I am building the Halinski Helldiver and the interior areas should be Zinc Chromate which is a distinctive yellow green. The model is an green/olive drab. In the past I just thought that it was the publishers best attempt at reproducing the color and being paper I had to except the colors being not quite right.
I goofed up a part for the Helldiver and asked if Halinski would be kind enough to forward a jpg of the part and Andrzej was kind enough to do so. The file appears to be the final drawing for the kit and the colors were spot on. I have to guess that they have the same issues we have in printing models on color printers in that what is on the screen is not necessarily what the you get out of the printer.

Jim Nunn

Tags
completed model, f-105, hobby model, part, identification, model, hobby, thud