PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Isaac, simple but effective solution to make the engine nacelles fit to the wings. The model is really taking shape now. Whenever possible I always try to glue the engine nacelles to the wing first, before installing the spars and formers, to avoid any gaps. For my Mosquito that worked out well but it's certainly not always possible, like in your Tupolev. Well done sir!

Regards,
Erik
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Hi Isaac, simple but effective solution to make the engine nacelles fit to the wings. The model is really taking shape now. Whenever possible I always try to glue the engine nacelles to the wing first, before installing the spars and formers, to avoid any gaps. For my Mosquito that worked out well but it's certainly not always possible, like in your Tupolev. Well done sir!

Regards,
Erik
Eric

In this case , the wing inner structure is the center of construction. There is no choice but to assemble the engines after the wing is done. Also, final alignment of the engine centerline is important.

I will consider your method on future builds.

Thank you.

Isaac
Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 AM

I'm looking at the kit propeller design, but not happy with it. At this time , I'm studying photos and will consider an alternate. Probably carved wood props. I have a friend that is a master at prop carving and we are talking now.

Any reference on the correct props is appreciated. Note that the version on display at the Kiev aviation museum is not the same as for the R-6 for this model.

Thanks

Isaac
Old 08-28-2014, 05:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hello Isaac,

Props are PITA (pain in the a..).... I'm working on the Mosquito ones currently and there's no info on pitch, torsion, rotation and other construction details, so this requires some own research. It's like model designers do not really have an eye for these parts of a kit.

Your idea of carved wood props is very interesting and I'll be following. Another one to keep calm and carry on...

Regards,
Erik
Old 08-28-2014, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.71 MB
Hi Isaac,

to carve a propeller is a good idea.

But IMHO all parts of a model should be made at the same level of detail: wheels, guns, exhaust pipes, windshields.. propellers. Otherwise parts might contrast with each other. Plus if model is made entirely from paper so maybe it is worth to be competed in the same way?

Again it's just an opinion of mine
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
Hi Isaac,

to carve a propeller is a good idea.

But IMHO all parts of a model should be made at the same level of detail: wheels, guns, exhaust pipes, windshields.. propellers. Otherwise parts might contrast with each other. Plus if model is made entirely from paper so maybe it is worth to be competed in the same way?

Again it's just an opinion of mine
For me, I'm not a purist. So I do not care if the model is all paper or not. As for the wheels, I always make my own out of wood, or purchase resin or already turned wood wheels.

I will probably do the same with the hand rails, guns etc...

Thanks

Isaac
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM

Smile Wooden prop example

Here is a picture of a plastic model my friend made.

It is a 1/32 scale WW1 aircraft called the Bristfit. The propeller is laminated wood and is hand carved.

Tupolev R-6 Modelik 1/33 scale-brisfit.jpg

The prop that will be used on the Tupolev R-6 will not need the lamination since it was painted a dark brown or something. But you get the idea.

This method is great for fixed pitch wood props. However, if you want to replicate constant speed props like on the Mosquito or Mustang etc... you have to carve each blade and assemble the blades into a spindle under the spinner.

Isaac
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 AM

Looks great. Maybe because it's made in same manner and technique as the original one.

Looking at the picture I've got an idea. What about of making laminated propeller using card paper? Glue several layers and get form by applying sand-paper? All in all the technique is same as making wooden propeller only it might be more easier for those who ain't so handy with wood.

PS. friend of Your's really skillful modeler.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
Looks great. Maybe because it's made in same manner and technique as the original one.

Looking at the picture I've got an idea. What about of making laminated propeller using card paper? Glue several layers and get form by applying sand-paper? All in all the technique is same as making wooden propeller only it might be more easier for those who ain't so handy with wood.

PS. friend of Your's really skillful modeler.
That will work as well. I sometimes make wheels using this method.

However, for this R-6 model, my friend started working on the wood props.

Thanks

Isaac
Old 08-30-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
That will work as well. I sometimes make wheels using this method.
True. And leaving in some degree not fully polished block of card paper can give an immersion of protector.

Waiting to see propellers
Google Adsense