PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Thank you for the comments, gentlemen. I didn't get much done today, and probably won't tomorrow (I tend to be busy on weekends). I did want to share how I do the windscreens on these craft. Some time ago I decided to put them on clear plastic. Here's what the sheet looks like (first pic), and one cut out. I'll try to post some pics of further assembly on Monday evening.

Garland
Attached Thumbnails
FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-06-wind-screen-01.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-06-wind-screen-02.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.20 GB
You gonna build all repaints?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serg3t View Post
You gonna build all repaints?
Well, that's my plan. I have all the Mike Smith repaints printed out and in a pile, and I hope I get to all of them within the next few months.

Garland
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.20 GB
Good luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serg3t View Post
Good luck!
Thanks, I'll need it!

Garland
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 PM

Guns

I was able to get the guns finished and applied. I first printed out the guns on 20 lb stock. I used the body of a Q-tip with the cotton tips cut off (Picture 1). I used a permanent marker to blacken the Q-tip (Picture 2). I glued the gun print-outs to the Q-tip and cut them as shown (Picture 3). Then I attached the guns to the body (Picture 4).

I also pasted on the plastic wind screen. It can be seen behind the guns in Picture 4.

Garland
Attached Thumbnails
FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-07a-gun-q-tip.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-07b-gun-q-tip-black.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-07c-guns-complete.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-07d-guns-attached.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I was thinking "Please don't tell me that you cut out the cooling holes in the skin". Would have had to turn in my blades and scalpels.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
I was thinking "Please don't tell me that you cut out the cooling holes in the skin". Would have had to turn in my blades and scalpels.
No, but I wanted it to look like I cut them out. I'm actually pretty awkward with a knife, even though I've been modeling for some years. I'm sure I'd cut off something vital if I tried to cut little holes like that.

Garland
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 PM

This evening, I glued the top wing together, and attached it, and the landing gear to the structure.

Garland
Attached Thumbnails
FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-08-top-wing-gluing.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-08-top-wing-attached-w-landing-gear.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-09-landing-gear.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-09-landing-gear-side.jpg  
Old 07-30-2014, 05:41 PM

Building the Wheels 01

For a couple of reasons, I like to make cardboard wheels for the FG multi-wing planes. First, they give some weight to the front of the craft, which helps keep it from blowing off when I have the fan going. Second, I like the look when the wheels are sanded correctly.

Generally, I make this large aircraft wheels with a seven-ply laminated structure. I use relatively thin cardboard, in this case from a Kleenex box, my usual source for this type of lamination. It gives the tread of the wheel a little character with more treads, whereas the thicker cardboard I previously used doesn't.

The round disc in the first pic is the back side of a wheel cut-out from the printed card stock. I use it as a template to make circles to be cut out.

The second pic shows the seven discs outlined in pencil. One has been cut out already. I use a #2 blade for this thicker stock, rather than a #11, which I tend to break.

The third pic shows the other six cut out.

The fourth pic shows the shiny side of the wheels. Obviously these must be lightly sanded using a sanding stick before they can be glued (fifth & sixth pics).

Garland
Attached Thumbnails
FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-wheels-01.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-wheels-02.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-wheels-03.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-wheels-04.jpg   FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-wheels-05.jpg  

FG Spad XIII 94th Aero-wheels-06.jpg  
Google Adsense