PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Did a little bit of poking around. At first I was fairly confident that the garage sale photo was of Wilbur taken at Pau in France. There's a common photograph of Wilbur and King Alfonso of Spain and it sure looks like the same coat as on our mystery pilot. And it could be the same hat. The photograph that Leif posted of Wilbur and Katherine was taken at the same time. However, there's a difference in the construction of the foot rest of the plane. In the garage sale aircraft the fore-and-aft supports extend a bit beyond the foot rest. On the Pau aircraft they do not. It appears that they do on the Military Flyer. As they also appear to do in the Foulois photo Charles linked to.

The other thing I did was see if I could find any pictures of Foulois. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell Foulois from Wilbur Wright from the garage sale photo. Lastly, judging from the hem of the man's coat is as compared to the wing, I think the mystery pilot is shorter than Wilbur. Foulois was reportedly about 5'6'' and 130 lbs. I'd have to revise my opinion and say that this probably is Foulois with Signal Corp No. 1... which is, I believe, now in the National Museum of the United States Air Force and known as the 'Military Flyer'.

Now Charles will return and say, "Told you so. It's in this book here. Provenance, people, provenance."

Still, the detective work is fun!

--jeff

Last edited by Kugelfang; 04-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I won't say I told you so. But, I had some other photos of Foulois. But not from the extreme angle we are seeing in this thread. The giveaway for me was the absence of a moustache, the shape of the nose and angularity of the chin. Also, given the version of the Wright flyer in that photo, Foulois is almost a given.

Here's what I want to know. Is that photo an original or a copy of an original. YOu can check this by inspecting the back of the photo. YOu will be looking for a paper backing. If it is a plasticized paper, it is more likely a copy.

But, if it's original, zowee! I envy you. I have an original shot of Ju-88s in formation that I treasure.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
I am now willing to accept that the photo may be of Benjamin Foulois. Waiting for a really good photograph of him in a cap and leather coat, the first of the attached photos below makes me believe that it could be so.

This is the best photo I have seen of him in a leather coat similar to the one in the photo. In most other photos of him together with the Wright Military Flyer he is in army uniform or other clothes. And always in a helmet, military cap, or bare-headed, never in a civilian cap. While Wilbur always used such a cap (albeit never chequered - which lends credibility to the Foulois ident).

Like Jeff says, it is a really close call. To illustrate this I have taken the garage sale photo and superimposed a 1909 photo of Wilbur Wright in a cap (left) and the Benjamin Foulois photo (right).

For me it comes down to the shape of the ear and the type of hair-cut in front of the ear. And it is still a really close call.

Meanwhile, I am very grateful to Charles for an opportunity to "get to know" Benjamin Foulois. It was a rewarding acquaintance. As an example, I did not know that he was the army control officer aboard the epic flight from Fort Myer to Shuter's Hill together with Orville. His later life story, and the role he played in US aviation, is equally fascinating.

Thank you, Charles!

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Early Airman-wr11g10.jpg   Early Airman-foulois-wilbur-comp.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 04-17-2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post

Here's what I want to know. Is that photo an original or a copy of an original. YOu can check this by inspecting the back of the photo. YOu will be looking for a paper backing. If it is a plasticized paper, it is more likely a copy.
It is a photo post card. A post card made made of photographic printing paper. So it could have been an individual private photo or a commercial post card. It is a photograph, not a printed reproduction. It was found in a family photo album, but the seller had no information about it.It could have been a family member. The card had been cut in half, this is the left side half. There is no writing or stamp on the back, and the paper seems to be generic Kodak postcard paper. It is pale and extremely faded, but when I scanned it and applied enhance the image jumped out.

Last edited by rickstef; 04-17-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Thanks goes to the Ringmaster for sharing this wonderfully unique historical object....just another reason I love this forum so much!

You need to frame the original alongside the Photoshopped copy. That is a great piece! In fact, how cool would it be to build the paper model of the Flyer and mount it in a box frame with your photo postcard?!

Once I finally get to my Halinski Ju-88, I plan on doing the same thing with my vintage Ju-88 photo.