PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.61 MB
Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...

Last year I made a 16" wingspan fully controllable RC model from the fiddler's green Ansaldo SVA5 card model. Much like the SPT fokker Dr.1 I made into an RC plane a few years back.

This is my latest print to foam WWI micro. An example of an Ansaldo SVA 5. an Italian plane from WWI. It was known as the fastest plane of WWI. top speed was around 140 mph. they used them for bombing and recon. It was not really agile, so not much for turn and burn dog fighting, but a truly amazing plane.

the model itself has a 16.5" wingspan, weighs in at 36 grams, has a full set of controls, throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder. it uses an AR6400, a PZ p51 motor and gearbox, and a tiny 1.7 gram standard type hobbyking servo for the torque rod ailerons. the aileron servo is directly below the visible differential compensated servo arm/horn. the top front fuselage acts as an access panel and holds the battery.

the graphics are from fiddler's green card models. a great example of good graphic design. they are printed on paper, measured and scaled up, calculations made while referencing 3 view drawings ( same old method I always use) then, separate files are used for each part, top and bottom if needed, and test printed. the foam has a thin layer of Inkaid sprayed on it. then the graphics are printed on it. the wings are cut out and tapped to a balsa wing form which is then baked at 170° for 20 minutes to heat form the undercamber in the wings.

the parts a glued together with foamtac glue. carbon fiber is used for the spars, and the struts. the top section of the fuse is actually printed cardstock molded and lacqured to retain it's shape.

the landing gear are .020" wire struts covered in printed typing paper soaked in CA. this helps stiffen and retain shape. the axle is .025" wire inside a small polystyrene tube. this is held to the carriage struts with 5/16" rubber bands to create working WWI landing gear. the wheels are polyurethane foam with cardstock discs on both sides and BSDmicro brand wheel hubs and stops. great little parts. he also makes the best prop savers for micros. all in all , the landing only weighs 2 grams! and it's fairly stout! best I've done so far.

this plane flies like a dream. the long , long tail moment, the differential in the ailerons and the low wing loading help it fly slow and smooth. I believe this to be the best flying WWI micro I have made so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0224.jpg   Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0211.jpg   Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0212.jpg   Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0215.jpg   Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0218.jpg  

Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0228.jpg   Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0227.jpg   Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0225.jpg   Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0223.jpg   Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-img_0219.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2014, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Very clever and resourceful. Looks like a 4 channel RC ( throttle, ailerons, elevator and rudder ). Although I did not see any servos.

I may consider something like this in the future.

At the IPMC meeting a couple of weeks ago, these two guys came over and showed their versions of tiny foamies RC planes.

Ansaldo SVA5 RC micro plane made from fiddler's green card model...-dsc_0835.jpg

Isaac
Old 11-05-2014, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Beautiful. I hope that the next time you decide to do a model like this that you will do a build thread. It would be very interesting to many of us.

Thanks for sharing. And if you ever do a video of it in flight, we'd like to see that, too