PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the additional info, Mike. I've built a few of the Rigby's and am always glad to learn more about the man and his models. I have also seen Rapier jet engines in action at Flying Aces Club and DC Maxecuter meets. Back in the 50s, I played around with Jetex engines (the little ones, 50s I think they were called) and tried unsucessfully to use one to power a Monogram F-86.

Lots of good info in this thread and I look forward to more photos and accounts of your experiments with flying paper models.

Don
Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Don,

Thank you for the kind comments. I've been reading some of your other posts on other threads. Thank you for your service!

I too have flown in Hueys. From 1985 thru 1990 I flew as a pilot for the Alaska National Guard. lots of scenery up there.

Most of Wallis Rigby's models are reproduced and avialable including trains, rockets, boats and airplanes.

I'm just glad to see someone is taking the time to keep his models going. They truely are amazing and he was doing this in the 1930s. even though they charge for them, I'm going to buy some!

The link above was posted before I realised that even the ceral box models are available.

Mike
Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Mike --

Let me thank you for your ARNG service!

I wonder if you ever ran into Dave Glines, an Alaska ARNG officer (now retired, I think). He was one of my students here at the Army War College about ten years ago. His dad, Colonel (Ret) Carroll V. Glines is a well-known aviation historian with a long list of outstanding books to his credit.

The Rigby's are a lot of fun. Chip Fyn used to throw in a bunch of Rigby models (including the ships and rubber-band-powered automobiles) as extras with the Fiddlers Green CDs. He also included the cereal box profile models of airliners that I used to put together as a kid in the late 1940s. I'm not sure if he still does that (someone in the Forum will surely know), but if so, the make the FG CDs an even better deal.

Don
Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Hi Don,

I really like Chip Fyn and his fiddlersgreen.net site. He is what got me started building. After a few downloaded models I eventually bought the airplane CDs.

One of the first projects was to put a mobile together for a friends baby daughter. Used the F22 and other jets to make it. They saved it now that she has grown.

Chip's site is incredible! Ilearned about it thru Air & Space magazine back in 2002. I had never heard of cardstock models until reading about them there. Within 20-minutes I was building my first model and haven't looked back since. I asked Chip about designing an F104 and SR71. He didn't have any at the time. His reply was they were kind of an interesting choice for a beginer to try and design. He was right! But, using the designer notes and inspiration that he gave thru his site, I was able to do just that as my first models.

I've recomedned his site as well as these type of forums to many co-workers that have kids. You'd maybe be surprised at some of the comments!

I was just browsing E-Cards site and will probably get the 1911 download for my son. The models there are so far above my simple ones. i amazed by them and the build threads I read thru.

Some of the builders here truely can build! I keep seeing submarines and ships, the POTW is incredible and I know deep inside that I'll soon be buying a couple of each just to try compound curve building.

Yes, I read allot and imediately recognized the name Glines!

Mike
Old 04-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Anyone made an air bladder powered ship to sail on the water?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
Anyone made an air bladder powered ship to sail on the water?
Not yet that I know of. those Jetex were really something!

I've wanted to try rockets, have even thought of a way to make a recovery system once the bladder shrinks, but I haven't had the time. A character in WA state wanted to try and use them for a water/air rocket, but ran into trouble trying to get the water and air into the bladder.

A helicopter might be made by blowing the air across a "wind-turbine" hooked to a mast. Lots of ideas, little time to do them. I have many, many projects on my list. Most of my resources are in Alaska, while I'm here in Idaho.

I have a different model of it now that I'm going to try and patent. One of the problems with them is they "grow" forward changing the CG in aircraft. I've built a different version that has the weight forward and grows to the rear-this helps it climb and then once empty is at the CG point for gliding.

As it shrinks it lowers the nose of the model. The only real issue is that the thrust doesn't last as long. The real big advantage is there is no need of additional balance weight. It is complicated to build.

Anyone would be welcome to try the other style bladder for their purposes. I'm going to PM some questions I have before creating a thread to download-there are some cautions associated with using compressed air!

Mike Bauer
Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Did you design the SR-71 model? Is it available to download?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM

Mike, I just checked out your other posts regarding your SR-71 - sorry for the unnecessary post! It's always great for our hobby when a design guy like yourself comes along - magnificent work!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM

:DFood for thought, I just received a copy of Super Models RWD-5, 1:15 scale, 3/2000. What caught my eye was in the description was this little note, "control line flyable". The directions do show a C/L set-up for the airplane, but give no indication as to what to use for a power source. But I was attracted to this kit because I was into C/L many years ago and any functional paper model gets my attention.Rick
Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Hi JL,

Thank you for the nice comment! Sorry, to take so long in reply, I Haven't had the internet for over a week now. Going thru withdrawls.

Yes, the SR71 is available as a download on the "Downloads" tab at the right hand top corner. The first is for the instructions and the second with the photo of it flying is the actual model.

I've been working on some other models and will soon have other ones to share. It takes awhile to downsize the models to the standard 8.5" x 11" PDF size.

Mike
Google Adsense