PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Papercut,

Never heard of the control line paper model before. That would be very interesting.

I've seen a thing about them being used to train anti-aircraft gunners by the model flying down a wire and the gunners learning how to lead the model. I can't find the link for this arcticle, but would like to see it again. This was done in WWII.

I would very much be interested in seeing the C/L setup you mention. Do they use balsa wood for the load carring parts or cardstock?

One of my eBay auctions is soon going to end up at Watt Flyers.com as a build thread. A very fine depron foam designer wants to build and fly a paper model of mine. She already mentioned that it is an art to build using cardstock!

In one of my earlier posts I added a link to see the early Jetex designer that used Jetex power for his airplanes and boat models. Did you check it out?

Jetex.org: Archive - Jetex Paper Models (Wallis Rigby)

The designer at Watt Flyer has recomended several different electric/prop combos to try. I will soon be ordering and then designing around them. If they work, I'll start a build thread with parts list.

Mike
Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Mike, I will take some photo's and or scan to get you a copy of the C/L set-up for the Super-Model. I have been studying and I believe I have a electric set-up w/gear reduction that should be more than enough to fly this bird. When I do this, I will post a thread as I build and as I hope put into the air. Thanks for the interest. In answer to you question about balsa to beef up, no, they show cardboard for this, however I believe I will use that ole friend balsa and lite ply for the bell crank. I will use cat gut for control lines since wire leads would add weight. I have built enough C/L's to know weight determines how the ship will perform, and I hope since made of card, she should be a fast bird.Rick
Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Flying Cardstock Models Update!

Well, it looks like one of my models is now being posted on a different forum. Watt Flyer is strictly for RC modelers who use Electric Power to fly.

I've been in touch with a very capable designer/builder. She bought one of my smaller models and is now doing a build thread on my RC SR71 Habu. This is only the second cardstock model she has attempted.

Anyway here is the link if you're interested!
SR71 Paper Card Stock RC Jet Wattflyer Contest #3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight She has been taking photos of the build. She is very knowlegable and will probably get the electronics to fit /work better than anything I could do with my lack of knowledge in these areas.

Once the model is done, I will be changing problem areas and adding her modifications to the kit so that it will fit standard available RC components.

I'll soon be listing models on eBay and also creating a web site as the models are finalized for RC. Several models I do are going to market as RC.

Mike
Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 AM

good

very very good.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Quick video link to my Sr71 (4ft 9inches long) RC model that was built an flown in California, by a first and second time cardstock builder! First was a 3ft long F106, second one was this RC version. She modified it to use depron foam and carbon fiber supports. But for the most part it is Springhill 125# Tag cardstock.
Chellie Built Sr-71 Paper Cardstock RC airplane on Vimeo

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 03-08-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff.
Google Adsense
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Holy Crow! What a great machine. Where is the prop? In the nose? or is it maybe an internal ducted fan? Pretty Impressive. A few technical details would be welcome for those of us thinking of a leap into the Wild Blue Yonder.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM

I think this mbauer guy is like...cool.
My blog: www.ww2fighters.blogspot.com
Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermodelfan View Post
Holy Crow! What a great machine. Where is the prop? In the nose? or is it maybe an internal ducted fan? Pretty Impressive. A few technical details would be welcome for those of us thinking of a leap into the Wild Blue Yonder.
Single motor in the back of the fuselage as a pusher.

If you're thinking of doing a large RC bird-I know some things that won't work.

Also some neat little things that the cardstock allows you to do, for instance the hinges on flat control surfaces. They can be laminated to work better than any plastic hinge (no air can get thru them so they are less drag)
Not to mention the bays for the electrics can be cut and then rubber cemented down for future changes (rubber cement allows pulling apart and then reclosing the cardstock).

Chellie really modified the design to use Depron foam to carry the load in the wings, she wanted to get it over 100mph. It made it to 77mph.

BTW-She has a build thread on her favorite forum-I have the link somewhere, in the link you will read a "cleaned" up version as a high school physics teacher wanted to use the thread in his class.

mike bauer
Old 03-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wily View Post
I think this mbauer guy is like...cool.
Hi Wily,

I've been reading your blogs. You do mighty fine work sir! Please don't ever stop posting them!

Thank you for your kind words!!!!

Mike Bauer
Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Very inspirational! I may have to try this sometime.

Ken
Google Adsense