PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Flying Cardstock Models

Hi Everybody,

Here are some of my latest models doing their thing. Wind needs to be from the West and/or North to use the lauching area to its fullest. I'm using only a fraction of the total vertical drop (400ft total) here at a highschool buddies ranch.

These photos show the town of Elba, Idaho in the background. Only homes and a church, no grocery store or gas station! Nearest place that has both is over 45-miles away!!

The F104 has made over 30+ flights. It has a replaceable nosecone. It has been replaced a few times... You can see from the one photo that it is bent or wrinkled. For flights all I do is pull it out and keep flying. Once the days flights were done I made a new Nosecone and replaced the damaged one. Each time this is done it needs to be re-balanced for flight.

On the Sr71 flight photo, you'll notice that it dropped a wing. To fix this I had to bend the trailing edge down a little bit on the wing that is dropping and then it flew normal. It is 4ft long.

The other photos are of models that are 3ft long.

Hope you like them!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Flying Cardstock Models-6ft-f104.jpg   Flying Cardstock Models-f104-elba.jpg   Flying Cardstock Models-f104-ryan-cropped.jpg   Flying Cardstock Models-sr71-habu.jpg   Flying Cardstock Models-x1.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Forgot the F16 photos

Here are some more photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Flying Cardstock Models-f16.jpg   Flying Cardstock Models-f16-flight.jpg   Flying Cardstock Models-f104-distance.jpg  
Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Amazing! How do you launch them?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I want to know that too!

These are simply awesome
Chris
Old 04-23-2009, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This gives a whole new meaning to "hand-launched glider."

I've been semi-following the phenomenon of scale aircraft slope soaring in Model Aviation and Flying Models and am delighted to see paper models entering the fray.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Thank you for the comments!!

Most are hand launch although I did make a universal cataplut launcher using plastic rain gutter and 1/2"thick by 4"wide wood. In the center was a plastic tube that a "shuttle" slid thru a gap in the tubing. THe power was a straight pice of Rubber Latex tubing strecthed tite. The launcher is in Alaska and once I get back and test it to see if it works, I'll post some photos.

these are not my compressed air powered models, they just are thrown and then glide!
Mike
Old 04-23-2009, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Outstanding use of some card modeling. I have been having fun with a 1/33 scale Mig 15 flying model over a few years and it is a pretty fair flyer. Most have been given out to neighborhood kids to wear them out so I get some quiet around the homestead. The size of yours are pretty amazing. With all that wide open space to fly in those are some impressive "in action" shots.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
This gives a whole new meaning to "hand-launched glider."

I've been semi-following the phenomenon of scale aircraft slope soaring in Model Aviation and Flying Models and am delighted to see paper models entering the fray.

Don
Hi Don,

Well check out this link. Jetex.org: Archive - Jetex Paper Models (Wallis Rigby)
The new version of the Jetex is Rapier. I've designed a model for them but it was way to heavy because I didn't place the engine in the right spot. After reading this arcticle, I now know what to do. Just haven't the time to do it. Way to many projects on my plate and I'm away from most of my resources. I still plan to mount a real pulsejet in one!

I've tried buying the big Jetex engines while they were still in production. I ordered one from England but it never came thru, although I did get a set of L3 Rapiers.

I have a compressed air bladder that I designed to give my models jet thrust. The problem is when you fill them, the bladder moves forward and the CG changes. To overcome this I had to empty the bladder faster and then lauch the model straight up hoping the bladder would empty by the time the nose was level.
Emptying the bladder faster means almost 11-oz of thrust for 1-2 seconds. THe model I tried it on was 11-oz ready to fly. It nosed over with thrust and not even my replaceable nosecones could fix the damage! I probaly could have set a world record for paper airplane speed attained though!

Mike
Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Quite Amazing:D:D How do they hold up? I mean,with the landings and all?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob martin View Post
Quite Amazing:D:D How do they hold up? I mean,with the landings and all?
Hi Bob,

Here is a photo of the bottom of the F104 that weighs over 1lb. It has flown over 30 times. It stalled a couple of times and thats what caused the aft fuselage damage.

There is quite a few wild rose bushes between the launch point and the grassy landing area. It slamed into these more than once. I have a short video of the very first glide flight that bent the right wing when it came to an abrupt halt in one.

Some of the landings it slid at least 40-ft before stopping. This was caused from once in motion stays in motion and hard frozen ground with a steep hill for a landing.

The link I supplied above for the old jetex mentions this toughness as one of the reasons why paper cardstock is ideal for models.

This hard landings are the reason why the nosecones are replaceable. I supply at least 5-extras per model when I sell them on ebay. The freedown load has a sheet that is nothing but nosecones that can be printed many times... 5-Nosecones will get you thru about 30-flights before they won't pull out after a hard landing.

The F104 has stalled and nosed in from about 20-feet almost vertical. The F16 was the highest flyer, it stalled from about 40-ft high and came straight in. This caused the fuselage to split when the nosecone and front chines tried to reach the wings. This one was non-fixable after that.

I just looked and found 2-photos of an SR71 that nosed in vertically. It was a 40" long model.

I'm going to look for a link about the military using papermodels to train ant-aircraft gunners during WWII. They liked them because they were tough and cheap. They ran them down a wire and used them to teach the gunners to lead the target.

Here is a link for a very interesting site-Does anyone know the webmaster? Lots of history on papermodels. You can even buy some of the old models here.
Rigby Paper Model Club

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Flying Cardstock Models-f104-bott.jpg   Flying Cardstock Models-moment-impact1.jpg   Flying Cardstock Models-moment-impact2-still-flies.jpg  
Google Adsense