PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Beautyfull details, it's pleasant to watch this.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 44.75 MB
Thank you very much for the compliments! I'll post more soon.

-George
Old 11-17-2014, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, I am impressed so far, to put it mildly.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
Those pl^&+!c guys should see this!
Awesome.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:59 PM

A bit of progress on my Fokker:

Texman's amazing Fokker cutaway has inspired me to add a full cockpit interior. I'm trying to build this as accurate scale wise as I can so I purchased the Windsock Datafile and the 1/32 Roden kit to study. (Don't worry, I didn't buy the plastic kit to actually build)

The first thing I'm trying to do is make the cockpit framework tubing as close to scale as possible. I rolled Zig Zag cigarette paper around 0.50 mm rod from Evergreen and coated it in thin CA to add strength. I pulled the styrene rod out before adding the CA since I still want this to be a paper model. the final paper tube is about 1 mm, which is very close to the Roden kit's tubing. Close enough for the difference between 1/32 and 1/33.

To create a template for the cockpit, I built a 3d version in Rhino based on the Windsock plans. While working on that I ended up completely redesigning the original Marek kit. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here as I don't plan on redistributing this in any way. Based on the Windsock plans, Roden kit, and the Marek kit, my version is a mish-mash of all 3.

Thank,
George
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker D.VI 1/33-windsockdatafile_fokker-d-vi.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_rollingtubes_01.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_rollingtubes_02.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_rollingtubes_03.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_rollingtubes_04.jpg  

Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_rollingtubes_05.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_rollingtubes_06.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Rhino Screenshots

Here are shots of the 3d model which I'll import into Illustrator and Photoshop to add color and texture. I've also added interior formers in the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_screenshot_01.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_screenshot_02.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_screenshot_03.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_screenshot_04.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_screenshot_05.jpg  

Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_screenshot_06.jpg   Fokker D.VI 1/33-fokker_d-vi_screenshot_07.jpg  
Old 12-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
That is one really exquisite engine! And, wow, you've made the layered prop. What a beauty. Tears get into my eyes...

Well done indeed, also on the recoloring and redesign. Inspirational 3D-work. Goes to show, you've got to hang in there until you get it right, the way you want it!

Leif

PS. Should you wish to complete the work you're doing, Marek (designer), and Chris @ Ecardmodels (publisher) are really accomodating, and your work would really mean a step forward for paper modeling in general. I never had any trouble publishing reworked Marek kits with Ecardmodels. Marek has an agreement, I believe, where he gets his proper cut of the proceeds. Go the full distance to publishing would be my hearfelt wish! (Should you wish to include either the full-layered prop, or the simplified version, or both, you have my blessing of course - what a kit that would be!)
Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
In addition to Marek you'd need permission from Windsock and Roden. I know it can be a pain but hey, it never hurts to ask. You never know, they might say yes.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:53 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I don't believe you need permissions from Windsock and Roden. Both are merely reference materials, not actual parts of the kit.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Even better!
Google Adsense