PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
We have paper recycling in Oz gets collected every fortnight (in Brisbane) - most recycled paper winds up as cardboard or lower quality paper products like toilet tissue. So - in Australia bad models wind up.......(join the dots).

Regards,

Charlie
Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 280.15 MB
I just signed up at fiddelers green, got my three free models, and just bought the camel, so far everything fits pretty well. It is a big changed from ships to planes. So many more options, detailed engines cockpits, repaints,,, I am having alot of fun....
Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Let me clarify...

I hope that I was clear in my remarks in the earlier post, that I was not condemning the quality of models available as much as noting that a good quality of model without instructions may be a rough build and may not be appreciated. In other words, a good model, without good instructions, may be bad…

As I noted, even fit problems may result of not comprehending how the part should fit, rather than a poor design. This, and other sites, are great ways to compensate for poor instruction, thank the administrators that we have them, but a good kit will have good communication on how to build the kit.

In the 1960's the plastic model companies learned that single page, exploded view were not enough. Look at DWHALE's instructions on his kits and you'll see a quality of communication that equals or surpasses current plastic instruction sheets.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate..."

The DC
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
What I hate is when they say "make from scrap paper" as if they were to cheap to make an actual part. They just say for you to make it.

Also, I have model parts that just do not fit. So has someone at company ever built this to notice it does not fit? If so, they must not care beucase it was not fixed. I notice in the Taube I build, the scallop on the top of the wing do not match the position on the bottom of the wing. So when you go to cut decide to look at the top and cut there, because the scallop will be crooked on the bottom. But at least then it is the bottom not where you see it most.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Question

I have built all the FG, WWI & WWII, Light Aircraft, Helos Gliders, etc.,of the regular size, As well as many of the Large Sizes. I don't recall having one that wound up being scrapped. I've had several that didn't fit right, some I've mess up some parts and had to print over, some I've had to make my own part or substitute something else, like wheels,props.struts,engines, etc. However I've never had to scrap one. I've always been able to make it go together and look like the real aircraft. True if you get up close I'm sure you will see patches, goofs & bobbles:D. At least for me it is a challange figuring out how to get er done.
MY 2 cents, for what it's worth:D Not much I admit:o

We Havin Fun Yet
Google Adsense
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
When all else fails, I just put the parts together and give the finished mass to my 5 year old! A week in the "Boy's" room makes any mistakes unrecognizable anyway!
Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM

OK, Keds Girl Lala, I am building the Fiddlers Green Pfalz now and it dose have some flaws, the spinner is unusable as drawn due to the prop cut outs and the wheels do look a bit off. I think because I was forewarned by this thread that I may get it done looking OK. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Instructions are possibly the hardest part of kit-making. Yes they're tedious, and we tend to get through them as quickly as possible, but I think the bigger trap is that it's often the designer who's writing the instructions - and he/she already knows how to put the model together, so it's really easy to leave out a tiny bit of crucial information. I guess the best thing would be to have a third party do the test build and the instructions.

Just my two bits...

Cheers,

Oliver
Old 05-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Oliver Weiss, you make a good point! That is why I love build threads here, kinda gives me a heads up.

My dad knows a good bit about car repairs from the 70s and early 80s American cars. I used to have a 82 Jeep Eagle that he would help me work on. I know little about cars, so there was always that disconnect when he would instruct me! He did it all before so he would lave out info because to him it was obvious! I can see how that could happen with model designers too!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:04 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I've built about a half dozen FG models KGLaLa, no WWI airplanes though, and have managed to complete them all successfully. That said, I think in each and every case I've had to deviate from their recommended assembly method to get satisfactory results. They are deceptively easy looking, and are apt to lull the modeler into thinking that they are building a beginners level kit. In actuality, because of their lack of design precision (particularly the older kits, which were hand drawn) they require every bit of modeling skill, experience, and instinct you can muster. Don't give up on 'em. When you complete one that you're happy with, you'll be very glad that you stuck with it and, out of necessity, will have probably developed some new modeling tricks/techniques from the experience - along with a few new english curse words
Google Adsense