PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Orel Polikarpov I-1 1:33

Happy 1000th post to me!

To celebrate I'll start a new build.
I said my next one would be a cantilever monoplane. I never said it wouldn't be an obscure one.

This kit represents the second prototype of N. Polikarpov's first fighter design. Also the CCCP's first monoplane fighter.
Of mixed construction with steel tube and plywood fuselage and metal wings it presents a very clean design for 1923. It was powered by a Liberty engine taken along with it's radiator, from a D.H.9a.
With an aft CG and tiny fin it's flight characteristics were less than exemplary and none of the 18 produced entered regular service.

The kit consist of an A4 sized booklet with 4 pages of card parts, 2 pages of paper patterns and 10 pages of diagrams and written instructions in Russian, English, German, and Polish.

The construction method features a heavily built fuselage skeleton and double spar wings. All movable surfaces are seperate and hinged.
The print quality is quite high with a nice matte silver ink and extremely delicate lines. One easily fixable mis-registration and a part number that drifted on to the part* keep it from being perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Orel Polikarpov I-1  1:33-img_3684.jpg  
Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.2 KB
Shrike,
I have a number of Orel kits including the Polikarpov I-15 and I-5. I know on at least the I-15 directions, which I've studied more closely, they don't show how certain parts such as the tabs between the sections fit. Indeed certain parts aren't even numbered which to me implies they figure you have a certain amount of previous building experience of paper models and that its all so obvious to the experienced builder. And yes, they even have supplied an English version of the directions. (Interestingly, in the English instructions under the tools needed to construct the I-15 model they list a sissors and the next tool they list is a "cutting torch" which is a new tool for me in paper modeling.) Having said all that, they are wonderful kits of airplanes that no one else has out. They are very attractively priced, especially if you order direct from Orel. I'll be interested to see how the I-1 goes together for you and what challenges you face as you assemble it. You'll be breaking ground for me. Thanks.
Phil
Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Goody! I started this one and then got sucked into designing French ships so it is sitting comfortably in a box waiting for me to remember it. I remember it as fitting well and looking very nice with its fancy skin and everything.

Maybe you'll get a little further with it than did I. Or should I pass on my bits so you can add to it and pass it someone else?

Carl
Old 07-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Congratulations Shrike! Looks like an interesting early fighter, lots of the general concepts were there it seems, only no retractable gear..
Old 07-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbirner View Post
Shrike,
I have a number of Orel kits... They are very attractively priced, especially if you order direct from Orel. Phil
I buy the Orel Potemkin from Paper Model Store and it is cheaper than from Orel direct!
Google Adsense
Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Best of luck on this one. I look forward to following your build!
Chris
Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Congratulations on the 1,000, Mark!

I'm glad to see you beginning another airplane build. I must admit that I knew nothing of this interesting-looking aircraft until today. Based on Carl's comments, with your skill, it should be a beauty.

Don
Old 07-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I am looking forward to following this one as well. It seems I remember one Orel build a while back on the other forum, but I can't remember if there were issues or not. It wasn't this plane either way.
Like Don I also didn't know anything about this particular plane, but it is very cool looking in the picture
Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
The best of lucks on this beauty, Shrike!

I also have a couple of Orel's, and I really liked the quality of the prints.

Keeping an eye on your progress.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:29 PM

not much of an expert in ww1, but that plane is one ugly duckling in a cute kind of way
Google Adsense