PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
It's sad but true that some models end up like that. I wish the mistakes were all my fault - especially since then I can just print another out and fix the mistake.

Ryan
Old 04-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
KedsLG- don't feel bad, some models are stubborn (not so well designed?) in fact I had to do some major alterations to build that one myself, which should not happen. You can rely on any Dell designs they all fit, my own staggerwing design fits pretty well, the B-17 and B-24 are good. The x-15, well, lots are good. Some are very old designs now, and don't fit well.(P-38 is one example) Some are timeless classics in my mind also though. So don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, but you can ask me or willygoat or the fg forum if you really want to know. It is by building these models that some of us learned how to make anything, so for that I am grateful.(nice that Chip let me do a couple designs, too)
Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 80.49 MB
beware of the WSAM numbers on some of the old FG models, there not always accurate. You can check that by multiplying the WSAM # by 60, for instance, the WSAM # of the Pfalz (89%) will get you scale of 1:53, not 1:60.

And Pfalz isn't that bad, the one I tried fit just fine with exception of the spinner.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Right! It was the new repaint Newport 28 that I was having trouble with, maybe was just me!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Chip knows the older models are in bad need of a redrawing/redesign. The only problem is finding people to do it, and then paying them. There are only a few of us designers out there, and we're more focused on putting out new models, rather than redrawing old ones.
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
all my bad/trash models get stacked up nice and neat and on a nice cold night....they meet mr webber
Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Okay...but you asked!

My biggest complaint with models that leads to my graveyard is when they have little or no instructions. It's like buying some software; 'insert, wait for on screen instructions, randomly tap any key, cause the HELP portion of this software in in a coma, then pull back out and buy someone else’s stuff cause you've gotten nothing but crap here!.'

I know making directions is probably a chore to designers, its not creative enough, it’s time consuming, its trying to actually communicate [shivers/shake], but I wonder if even some "fit" problems may be due to not interpreting the design correctly. I had one kit I did 2 times until "Oh, for the sake of a bleeding--" I figured out what the limited text instructions were saying. It was probably a great kit, once I’d figured out the trick, but had I instructions that were clear, I'd have enjoyed the build process more. I never have gotten back to redoing it, years later.

When something get's too frustrating, the fun just drains away and I move on. I'm paid to be frustrated [though, admittedly, not too well!] so my rare and rapidly shrinking fun time needs to be enjoyable.

Just an FYI to the future designer out there who's thinking, "do I really need to bother with clear instruction? Nah; they'll figure it out."

Maybe they will. Or maybe they'll consign your hours of creative design to one of their graveyards...

The DC

BTW: Shout out to a designer DWHALE; his detailed, photo ridden instructions could lead you to Olympus.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 AM

I am not skilled builder but so far I see often so many thing I would make much much different. So I know not why they do not fix that in the first place and TELL you such.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM

speaking of instructions and diagrams..i got the sheffield yesterday from modelik, nice looking model, could use some more texture detail on the deck, not alot to glue to board, but the instructions are the entire inside of the back cover and the lower half of the last page. not to helpful but i'll chalk it up to a puzzle that will never go back in the box. prince of wales on the other hand by GPM (2004 printing) pages and pages and pages of very detailed clear diagrams, now they do things right when it comes to ships..their planes? to me they suck but the ships are wonderful *points to the oyodo and conte di cavor* both of those took me about 4 months to build each and the deck textures on the GPM kits are just as good as the halkinsi kits but with a better price tag
Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
If I didn't finish my bad models, I'd never have any completed models - so they go on the shelf :D