PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Where bad model go to die

I have box now of parts of bad model that I have not finish.

Fiddlers Green Pfalz is one bad model. It is not my lack of skill. It is just bad. Very bad. If you look at "spinner" in photo for around the propeller, you will see that when you make the part the cut outs for the propeller are not opposite each other at all! The part it is not even round! I can never get the pipes of the body to fit. One pipe is always bigger than pipe it is to fit inside. So I keep making body and pipe section over and over. I quite this far. There is no way to fix lower wing also it just sticks on a big grey area that say "WING" but is not the shape or contour of the wing. I had start to build up a covering over the motor, which it was the wrong shape and size to start with. I have spare nose section I can cut to make this piece, but I gave up.

Now I have also Fokker and Nieuport grave yard. I print Fokker on 67 # paper that was too soft. So that was my fault. It is also older model version. The Nieuport it is also the old model with bad seam on the top and bright cartoon color. I might finish the Nieuport yet. But the new version is very nice.
Google Adsense
Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Is this appropriate?

Here's a paper model to fit your graveyard!

Good Old Fred's Tombstone Paper Model Kit

The DC
Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Lala, I gave up on Fiddler's Green models for the same reason. I wasted a lot of time and ink printing models that just didn't fit together. I was attracted to them at first because of the subjects and the nice colors, but the quality control was very poor in many cases. I may try to build some of them again in the future, because I bought the whole set of WWII models (plus many others), but I will have to be very bored in order to try them again!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:39 AM

LaLa,
In most households there is a container, sometimes round,sometimes rectangular, sometimes square, but always known as "The Circular File" or "File Thirteen". This is where my bad models go to die. :[)
Lep
Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Great! now you tell me - I've just started on the Fokker (no pun intended)

The usual question of which side of the line to cut doesn't seem to apply with Fiddler's Green models.

I build them in between more complicated ones - and give them to my seven year old to play with.

Tim
Google Adsense
Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 AM

I like the Fokker Triplane in the end. I at least finish it and it look nice. I like the D VII but it is my fault I make it on soft paper. I can keep the wing and tail though. I will just make new body there.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
My 11 year old made the D II. (with help from me) He printed the model on regular paper and then glued it to poster board. It came out real strong. He used wood dowels for the wing struts. Other then the struts, the model seemed to fit well. it was not indestructible however, as I saw pieces of it on the floor of the boys room when I went to look for it for photos. We did have trouble with the scalloped wings however, and ended up trimming them to be even. I have made the Nieuport and have built two, on in "Regular" size and one in "Large" size and it came out fine. I had some trouble with the front cowling and the prop is flat, and the wheels are flat as well. I should have Built up the wheels a bit. I also printed the model in Black ink on colored paper to get a feel for it before burning up color ink on white card.

Both models did lack in a lot of detail for open cockpits but they worked for me.
Any body know what scale fiddlesgreen moddles come in any how?
Attached Thumbnails
Where bad model go to die-plane1.jpg   Where bad model go to die-plane2.jpg  

Last edited by ct ertz; 04-29-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 PM

They say they are in their WASM size but it is not standard like 1/50 or 1/33. But if you print them all in the WASM (world smallest air musuem?) size they are proportioned for each other. It say one each card WASM 100%, 85%, 110% etc. Confused way to do things I think unless you find where it say what WASM mean.

I like the idea of making model white first
Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
If I remember correctly, WSAM is equal to about 1:60 scale. The new approach for the models is to make them a big as possible and not worry about scale so much. The "Print to WSAM scale" or whatever it says is to help find an accurate scale you want. That was clear as mud. But, the big thing to remember is that FG models are meant more to be a somewhat accurate model that looks nice. And again, the Pfaltz is an old one. Try the new ones and you won't be disappointed. Especially anything designed by Aaron Murphy (helos and Nazi stuff), Rob Carleen (mostly jets and some WWII), or John Dell (P-51s, Ju-52s, B-24s, Opel Blitz). They are top notch.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 PM

Yes, World's Smallest Air Museum (WSAM) scale is 1:60. The "WSAM=XX%" notation on the first page of the model is the percentage the model must be reduced (or enlarged) for the model to be 1:60 scale. Care must be exercised, however, when there is a large and small version of the model. Obviously the WSAM % should be different for the two versions but sometimes it is forgotten and the same percentage appears on both the large and small versions. On some of the more recent models FG will also give the actual scale of the model but this is not always noted.
Google Adsense