PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
F-86 Saber Jet from Fiddlers Green

This is my first go at this model so, like usual, I printed out the one page model in black ink total on old poster board. If all of the parts fit well, I will print some of the other models off and make some keepers. You get seven plane models and two accessories to choose from.

This download cost me $2.50. You get the regular US model for one page, the B&W model for 1 page, the large US model for two pages of parts, the RCAF model for one page of parts, a one page South African model, 4 one page German models, two plain models, a kit of rockets, and a kit of tanks. It is quite the deal for $2.50.

I may hand color some of this with markers just for fun.
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM

OK, the plane is simple enough. I am leaving off the landing gear, as I do not want to make anything more detailed at this point, and the landing gear that comes with the download are lacking a bit. Too flat. The inside of the model is completely hollow, and there is nothing in the front air intake or rear engine. The fit so far is pretty good! The nose cowling and the front end fit nearly perfect, and even the cockpit seams to set well on the body. I colored some of this model with markers, with guidance from my 5 year old. He wanted the windows blue, but the blue marker on yellow paper turned out green.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Almost done. This is an easy model, great for cub scouts and newbies. I think an experienced modeler could enhance this model a lot, with a cockpit and see-through windows, something in the air intake, and lighter lines. The lines on this are really dark and thick. I think with one of the optional tank or rocket packs this would really start to come together!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
That seem like a good simple model. You should make pictures of it for us.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 AM

OK, Done. This model lacks any kind of real small details and could use better landing gear, but on the plus side, even in black and yellow it looks like a F-86! I think one of the color ones would turn out pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
F-86 Saber Jet from Fiddlers Green-saberjet3.jpg   F-86 Saber Jet from Fiddlers Green-saberjet2.jpg   F-86 Saber Jet from Fiddlers Green-saberjet1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2009, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice, CT! A couple of years ago I built the FJ-1 Navy version -- another of the early FGs and one that looks like it would make a nice glider. It is about the same level of detail as your Sabrejet as described in your post #2, but mine is the pre-colored, rather than the white, version. I think the colors you applied IAW your 5-year-old's instructions look great.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
F-86 Saber Jet from Fiddlers Green-fg-fj-1-680.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 05-01-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Correct grammar and spelling errors.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:41 AM

Nice plane Don. My 5 year old is looking over my shoulder and is getting all excited, and wants to have one that looks likes that. I guess I will have to do one in color. I think that with help, my 5 year old will be able to do some or even most of the cutting on the larger two page model. It will keep him quiet while I do mine! I think these will make good gliders, I will have to give it a try.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.89 MB
Hi CT,
The Sabre glides fairly well, but if you want a really nice glider, build Rob Carleen's F-100 Super Sabre which is also to be had at FG. Two paper clips in the intake, and it flys really nicely.

Rick
Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Chip Fyn has always said that the Cutlass is (inadvertently) the best glider of all. I've never tried it, but these CT posts inspire me to give it a try.

Don
Old 05-01-2009, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have the Cutlass and it is said to be a good glider I think with catapault?

I have print MiG-15 which is like Sabre on chrome paper today using just the black lines.
Google Adsense