PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-10-2007, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Tim
Time to question Coreldraw perhaps. I used the trial version to convert a pdf to dxf and the result was of limited value whereas Canvas gave very useable results with the same conversion of the same file.

Julian
Indeed it must have been an earlier version I ran on Win98.
Below is a comparison of your point about the limited scaleability of raster and the full scaleability of vector.
(In fact although the vector looks simple it's a much better representation of the badge as it appears on the ship where it is cut from sheet metal, stuck on the funnel, painted and only meant to be viewed from a distance. see inset. )

Charlie
Thanks for the dirt on Inkscape.

Alcides
I humbly suggest you stick with the Gimp on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Redesign of Canon's A320 - legal?-badges-jpg.jpg  

Last edited by maurice; 08-10-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 AM

Location: Right under the final approach to Filton, where they make Airbus wings.
Total Downloaded: 0
Maurice, I ran the original file through win2pdf, then opened the resulting pdf in Coreldraw, then saved the file as a Coreldraw file. I can now do exactly what I want with it, once all the duplicates have been cleaned out, and the rest 'rationalised'. I think I have Canvas somewhere on a magazine cover disc, so I will try the same process, I'll let you know what happens. Why did you need a dxf file? The resulting Coreldraw file contains everything I need to recolour the model the way I want it, so I am not sure what you want to do with it that would require dxfing it as well.

Tim
Old 08-11-2007, 07:11 AM

Tim
For this exercise you've done what's needed, although I really will be interested in the result if you can run a Canvas comparison.
But dxf from pdf is a regular thing for me. Converting publicity pdfs of interesting subjects that were obviously just generated direct from the original CAD drawings and which are sometimes A0 sized.
Much simpler than tracing over background raster images.
Not to mention part developments printed from pepa 1.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Location: Right under the final approach to Filton, where they make Airbus wings.
Maurice, just as a check, have a look at the P51 Old Crow model mentioned today as a free download. I did the win2pdf thing, took a while, but got a pdf that would open in CorelDraw. However, both the original in Acrobat 7, and the processed one appeared to have a cobweb of white lines all over it. Closer inspection, the model is a mesh, and a BIG one! converted so each polygon is a vector shape; Page 4 alone had the best part of half a million elements!! Now that isn't CorelDraw, that is bonkers design!! Clearly this was a mesh model that was opened out one way or another, but to describe a flat set of graphics this way is nuts! I tried tracing around just one of the parts to give a single vector shape, but my poor little PC choked on the data. Can you try it with Canvas and see if you get the same result? I am still looking for that magazine CD....

Tim
Old 08-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Adobe allows 30 days of unadultered fun with their apps when you download them.

The only problem is that once you have used them ... your hooked.
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
Adobe allows 30 days of unadultered fun with their apps when you download them.

The only problem is that once you have used them ... your hooked.
This is very true.... I'm kind of lucky in that respect, because I've used them commercially for a lot of years and had them paid for by the work I was doing. So the high cost of the software didn't really matter for me. The thing is that once you use it there's no going back. It's not the industry standard for nothing. It simply is the very best.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Old 08-12-2007, 01:50 AM

Tim
I wasn't going to spend time on that one.
Canvas allowed me to drop the triangles of colour and give me just a solid line outline of just the tailplane from the win2pdf version of p4 before entering an endless loop. It did not enable me to make the same depth of analysis as you got to with Corel.
Looks like a nasty case of infected allergic demented paranoia if you ask me. Just inconveniences the user but won't necessarily keep it off z share.
... keep looking for that cd.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Maurice, which version of Canvas are you running? I found the disc, got the installation key and loaded it, version 8.0.6. Since the current version is 10, I am obviously behind the curve! Anyway, can't open any pdfs or cdr files; it says they have unsupported features or are locked. I'll see if I c an't get Corel to save the files in an earlier format...

Tim
Old 08-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Tim
9, bought it in 2004 with the idea of learning vector as well as raster graphics. Have yet to learn vector graphics.
But if your's can't open any pdf it's not going to help with my basic enquiry about how coreldraw treats dxf if you have to use corel first to process the file involved.
This is not good news.