PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.92 MB
Redesign of Canon's A320 - legal?

Hi folks,

I have just come back from a lovely holiday in the Philippines, with a week of UMT (uninterupted modelling time ) before that, while the family were away. It's always fun to go to the Philippines, they seem to have a lot more interesting tools and gadgets there than here (as well as beaches, sunshine, etc.!). I picked up a nice pair of clips. They are like normal clips for holding stuff as you would use to hold things while the glue sets, but they have suction cups on the side! So you can stick them to the table and use them like a 3rd hand.

Anyway to my question. We flew Cebu Pacific, an A320 and as I have just finished the Canon model, I am inspired to try and recolour it. The Canon pdfs are protected, so you cannot modify them (I tried to get rid of the think black line on the Starflyer). I could use GIMP to convert them and recolour the jpgs, but is that legal? I have no intention of releasing or sharing the recoloured pages, should I manage it, I would build it for myself. So what is the "accepted" legal status on recolouring models?

I don't what to restart any painful debate on legality and sharing/stealing peoples work that we had on the other forum. If the this thread spirals out of control, I give full permission for the administrators to kill, delete, burn, and bury this thread in 4 different graves.
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Bottom line................... you can do whatever you want with a model. Except re-color and release it. If you want to re-color it for your own personal use.............have at it.

Posting pictures can cause grief sometimes, but that is usually with individual designers.

It is polite to ask the designer, but again that is if you are going to post pictures.

Let me state that this is my opinion, not that of this board, this forum or these adminstrators............

john

My Drawings
Old 08-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Let me state that this is my opinion, not that of this board, this forum or these adminstrators............

john
There's no need to state that John.... You got it absolutely correct as far as the legal terms are concerned.

Basically Gnasher, as John said, you can do whatever you like with a downloaded model as long as you don't re-distribute the modified files in any way (that includes giving them to a friend or relative, as that would also be illegal).

It's not illegal to photograph your modified finished model and display the photographs either.

All of the above is covered under the terms of fair use.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"
Old 08-09-2007, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.92 MB
Thanks, guys. So I can have a go with a clear conscious. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew! But I know I've got a great resource to back me up . . . you guys!

The Cebu Pacific colour scheme is actually quite simple and refreshing. I think the major dificult will be the curve under the nose!
Attached Thumbnails
Redesign of Canon's A320 - legal?-cebu-pacific-photo.jpg  
Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
I see you joined that other forum after this post by one of their more brilliant former contributors :D

You might find it useful.

Quote:
Right class. Smarten up, sit up straight and listen. John stop fidgetting at the back there.
Now I've told you this before - more than once.
So listen.
It may be a locked .pdf but it is a .pdf of a paper model.
So you must be able to print it.
So print it.
Use the free trial version of Win2pdf from
http://www.win2pdf.com/products/win2pdf.htm
It is the best I have found for this and other design purposes and I use it a lot.
The resultant .pdf file permits use of the "snapshot" tool and is fully editable in vector (and raster) graphics progs..
The extra page of the file in the free trial, which adds a tagline, can be ignored.
You can have an all white airbus if you want.
Disclaimer. As far as I know there is nothing illegal, immoral or carcinogenic in this process.
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 AM

Location: Right under the final approach to Filton, where they make Airbus wings.
Repaint

Yep, what Maurice said. I'm about halfway through cleaning up the file so I can do a similar job, but be warned, the resulting vector file is a complete mess! Duplicate elements, shapes made from unconnected lines with fill patches to cover the gaps, dozens of 'empty' elements (no line weight, no fill, no reason to exist!) curves made of thousands of nodes when three would do perfectly well and so forth. I don't know if this is a product of the conversion to or from pdf, or was how the original design was constructed, but it is desperately inefficient and makes the clean-up process far more time consuming than doing the actual colour rework.

Good luck, but it will be worth it. The final model is very impressive! And being an Airbus, fairly easy to convert to most of the others in the A318/9/20/21 family; just watch where the doors and windows go. The Airbus web site has some very nice comparison drawings to show how the models differ.

Tim

PS Thanks Maurice again for the pointer to win2pdf, it works very well!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
I've never used win2pdf, but I can vouch for a free, open-source PDF program called PDFCreator. Get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

It installs itself as a printer, so when you want to create a PDF file from a document, you just use PDFCreator as your printer and it saves the result as a PDF file. You can then open it and do whatever you like and print it to your printer. I actually use PDFCreator a lot just to save things like receipts for online purchases, rather than printing them on paper.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARX2 View Post
I've never used win2pdf, but I can vouch for a free, open-source PDF program called PDFCreator. Get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
I also use PDF Creator.... Being freeware, it kind of suits my mean and tight fisted nature LOL

I can vouch for it too... It's good for me because it works fine under all versions of windows. I run win98 machines as well as XP machines.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
LINK: Designing America's First Railway Locomotive, "Stourbridge Lion"

Last edited by Fozzy The Bear; 08-09-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
As far as I am concerned in the world of repainting, it's basically your's to paint as you see fit...as long as you do not release it after the repaint.

I don't think Canon will have too much of a problem with you showing off your work. There are, as John said, individual designers who do require prior notice. But for the most part, you'll be safe showing your work. If you do get in trouble, let me know and I will do what I can.

Any time you or anyone else wants to repaint and is wondering if its cool or not to show off your work, contact me and I'll give you my opinion. I am not an expert, but I have dealt with some aspects of this in the past.

As for releasing your repaint, should you want to do it, try contacting someone at Canon through the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. It may take a while to get a reply (or it may not), but tell them what you would like to do and you'll probably get an answer.

There might be a problem with the request as the model is a P-model creation, which Canon may have contracted for, or they purchased from P-models. They may not want the kit distributed openly, but if it is good enough, you might want to offer it to them so they can release it through their site.

Good luck on your repaint.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
If can be shown, please do so.
Google Adsense