PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Most excellent and a treat to watch! - L.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
'Go your own way' reminds me of the time I was building the 'Zwarte zee' tug from Smit.
It was a wooden model, unfortunately unrepairably damaged when I moved to the caribbean ...
It brings fond memories of younger times
Thank you guys for your kind words. Klaas, I was 12 or something when "Rumours" was released and ever since I love this album. Although there's lots of great music, nothing beats this record. Sorry to hear about your model ship but moving and models don't make a good match, unfortunately. I remember the windmill I made when living in Malaysia and it got badly crushed in the box on the journey home. Luckily some others survived without a scratch.

Anyway, back to the D-XXI. Changed my working place as of last week and I need to travel much longer distances, which leaves lesser time available for modeling I'm afraid.

In general, the Modelik instruction drawings are clear but regarding parts 30 and 31, which are the main parts of the fuselage skin, they fail to indicate where these parts exactly have to join: Before, on or after former 7X (backside of the cockpit compartment), and this is crucial information.

The former is only 1mm thick so there’s not really a surface area to glue them to and to make a neat seam between the two parts if they are intended to meet on the former’s edge. Should they meet just before or after the former, there’s no joining strip provided in the model to make a seam “as invisible as possible”. It’s not so clear what the designer intended so I chose for what seemed to me the only correct way to go.

Thereto I started with part 31, being the front part of the fuselage (first picture), which I carefully wrapped around the inside cockpit lining and ensured that the slots at the bottom slid over the front and aft wing root spars. Both sides exactly join on keel former 1X and first I glued one side on the keel and then the other side to close the seam.
In the process I carefully aligned and glued part 31 on the edge of former 7, as can be seen in the pictures. Fitting was without problems but at the front side there seemed to be a small misfit. Not too dramatic I think.
Then I made two joining strips that will be used to attach the aft part of the fuselage skin (part 30) and glued them to the backside of 7X. Before turning to the aft part I glued the wing formers into place and added some reinforcements at the trailing edge of the wing.

It is very important to not glue the front side of the skin to former part 5X. There should be a small gap or slit in between to allow future installation of part 31a or b (or if you choose the other option for this section).

Although the last picture is not very clear, it shows the keel construction of the model. Part 30 will be fully wrapped around this keel. But that will be the next chapter of this saga.

A remark on part 31: The pair of pointed boots was in reality only painted on the left side, not on both sides, as were the three mice on the engine cover.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5553.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5555.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5556.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5557.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5558.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5559.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5560.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5561.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5562.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5563.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5564.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nice neat work

Excellent close up photos too

Tim
Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 AM

Thank you Tim.

Just a short update. Lately I have very little time to work on the model, usually not more than half an hour a day and this includes the weekends....

In any case I managed to fit the back part of the fuselage (part 30) and glue it into position, as well as some parts of the tail section to ensure the fuselage is in the correct position.
The extra tabs I glued on the backside of former 7X proved to be very useful as now I could properly attach part 30 to the model. There's some misalignment at the position of the horizontal stabilizer spar, which does not seem to be critical.

In any case it is important to work as accurate as possible to minimize any mismatch as one can never tell if such would result in future issues (probably the understatement of the year). In that respect it's a disadvantage to have such little time available for modeling at the moment ....

Finally a top view of the cockpit section, in where the supports of the pilot's seat have been added. For touch-ups in the cockpit area I used light grey paint (Tamiya).

Well, that's it for now.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5565.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5566.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5567.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5568.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5569.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5570.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5571.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5572.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5573.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5575.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5576.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5574.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Looks perfect Erik,
Very meticulous. You're a real craftsman.
Nice to see some of your building space as well
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2015, 05:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
Looks perfect Erik,
Very meticulous. You're a real craftsman.
Nice to see some of your building space as well
agree with Klaas.

YOAV
Old 01-21-2015, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Beautiful and inspiring work and photos! The camo colors on this one does come out very well. - Leif
Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM

Difficult moments

Thank you gents. The camo colors are indeed quite bright and resemble very much the colors as shown in the first picture and I'm using these to correct and paint the edges. The dark yellow color is in fact a bit too dark and needs to be used very sparsely as I didn't manage to find one that resembles the color print better.

I continued with assembling the front two sections of the fuselage, parts 37 and 40 and this is a bit tricky. There's an option here regarding the gap between parts 31 and 37. It's unclear to me why the designer has come up with this, and regardless the option the gap will be considerable and definitely not in proportion to what pictures of the real aircraft reveal. In the real D-XXI the gap is barely noticeable.
I chose for the option using part 31B, but even if you opt for 31A, it becomes very clear now why I earlier mentioned to leave a gap between front former 5X and part 31: You need the gap to slide 31A or 31B in between. There's a small lip on 31B that is intended to be glued on former 39X but just forget about it and cut it off.

There's no joining strip between 37 and 40 so I made one myself and put former 39X in position, allowing a small cut-out for the oil cooler inlet on the left side. Then I dry-fitted the assembled section with the rest of the fuselage and trimmed off 31B just a little to ensure proper fitting. Only install this front section after installing wing root 36!!!

The wing root is a challenge. I started with fixating its aft part to the fuselage, without however gluing the tooth-like transition pieces to the side of the fuselage. Carefully align the center line of the part with the fuselage keel, wrap either side around the wing profile and glue the wing back edges to each other. It's quite an ingenious part, truly showing the skills of the model designer!

I used glue very sparsely to connect the inside of the part to the wing formers and it's best to use clear glue that dries relatively slowly, allowing you to correct in the process.

Finally I glued the front section 37/40 into place. Messed up with glue in the process and I corrected this by painting the entire gap in a grey color. Impatient for just a single split second and immediately being punished for it. Sometimes it only takes a brief moment to learn this important lesson again and again and again....

Pfff...., that's it for now, time for a break. Three out of four in the family are sick at the moment and I don't want to be the last one toppling over. Call it a day!

See you,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5595.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5577.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5578.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5579.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5580.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5586.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5581.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5582.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5583.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5584.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5585.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5587.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5588.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5589.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5590.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5591.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5592.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5593.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5594.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM

More difficult moments

A short update. Managed to install transition pieces 38L and 38P between fuselage and wing roots, up so far being the most difficult parts as they require a lot of shaping. There is hardly any room for correction as the parts partly cover the "221" on either side of the fuselage and simply have to fit regardless. The "teeth" on wing root 36 have to trimmed in order to fit the back parts of the transition pieces. Not very easy to trim a concave shaped part and to butt glue the joining sides.

After many, many dry-fits I finally dared to apply glue and positioned both parts, with the left one fitting better than the right one. The transition pieces did not fit that well on the wings, in fact they should have been a bit wider. As the camo print does not allow any correction margin I had to use small strips of colored paper. Some spare for each camouflage color has luckily been provided with the model. In fact it's a bit of a pity, as it's noticeable in the end result.

See you next time,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5600.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5601.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5602.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5603.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5604.jpg  

Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5605.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5606.jpg   Modelik 1:33 Fokker D-XXI Dutch version-dscn5625.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I think sometimes when you find mistakes you just have to accept them and move on

She's looking good

Tim
Google Adsense