PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
USAEC B5N2 Kate

I plan on attending the special showing of Tora, Tora, Tora at the USAEC in Carlisle PA this coming Tuesday. There will be a collection of period card models on display for the event, and although I have quite a few WWII American and Japanese aircraft models already built, I have nothing that is Pearl Harbor specific. Then I remembered that I had downloaded Kancho Iliev's Nakajima B5N2 (Kate) years ago, so I decided to build it just for this event.

The file contains several versions of the Kate in different liveries, and one of them is of the plane that led the first wave of Japanese warplanes in the strike on Pearl Harbor. Commander Mitsuo Fuchida, sitting in the observers position of this 3-man aircraft ordered the attack, after confirming that complete surprise had been achieved.

Kancho's models usually have an atypical construction method and this one is no exception. The skin is very nice, featuring exhaust and oil stains, and shading on the wings and fuselage. I'm really not happy with the precision or neatness of the build, but I've run out of time, so it'll have to do. The paper base is eyecatching, and I'm hoping it'll draw the viewers attention away from the flaws in the model. I used a maple wood grain, and copied an image in comic book style from the web of who we have to assume is Fuchida calling out "Tora, Tora, Tora!"

As I'm typing this, I just realized that haven't yet installed the antenna and pitot tube, so after this posting it's back to modelling for me.
Attached Thumbnails
USAEC B5N2 Kate-kate6_zpsg3fuuhf9.jpg   USAEC B5N2 Kate-kate3_zpsrembeimc.jpg   USAEC B5N2 Kate-kate4_zpsy5q8cdg2.jpg   USAEC B5N2 Kate-kate5_zpssbcthmo3.jpg   USAEC B5N2 Kate-kate1_zpsbq3tokop.jpg  

USAEC B5N2 Kate-kate2_zpsml04y9ad.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2015, 12:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great Don. I sure hope the predicted snowstorm will have passed through by Tuesday so that you can attend.

I am scheduled to drive to Lebanon PA tomorrow morning to pick up three models for display from CMDRTED, but with 4-12 inches and ice predicted between now and tomorrow afternoon, things are not looking good.

I have completed the FG Zero and am nearly done with the FG P-40B to display with the handouts of those two models (along with the DGA jeep). And, we have a beautiful Zeke 52 (not Pearl Harbor vintage, but the descendant of the Pearl Harbor Zeros) mailed to me by DrLaser. (Many thanks to Fiddlers Green and DGA for allowing us to reproduce the models, and to DGA for helping to cover the costs of reproduction.)

For anyone who lives close enough to Carlisle, here is the announcement of the event.
USAHEC Lectures

The dinner costs $35, although if you bring displayable model or models relevant to the Pearl Harbor attack, there will be no charge for dinner. PM me if you think you can attend.

Don
Old 02-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very nice Don! I attempted bui,d B5N2 form Kancho and failed. You made a excellent work! Best regards!
Old 02-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Thank you Don and Pericles. I couldn't build it per the instructions, either. After screwing up the wings the first time, I reprinted them, and left out the pieces that the instructions tell you to sandwich between the upper and lower wing halves. Instead, I made a glue tab along the leading edge of the bottom wing half, curled it, then cut out and curled the upper wing half to match. Then I glued the 2 pieces together at the front, let that joint dry, and the glued the trailing edge. The fuselage was no picnic either. If I had it to do over again, I'd use Photoshop to combine the 2 pieces that make up the upper wing fairings. I think each fairing could be joined to the airplane easier and neater if it was just one piece of paper. I may build one of the other liveries just to prove to myself that I can do a good job of it.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Don,

She looks great, I love the stand too. Thanks for the tip on building the wings.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
Where is that download and if i had known you were looking for a kit i have a Pre Printed book with 4 Pearl Harbour kits in it. lol
Old 02-02-2015, 06:10 AM

Thanks for your comment, Gary. Well paperguy, I visited Kancho's site, and he seems to have dropped most of his free aircraft models including the Kate. If you click on "Contacts" you'll be brought to a page where you can send him an email. Here's the link: PHobby.com - Home
Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
I wish there was a Kate out there with markings that better matched the photos of Fuchida's presumed bird.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/i...topic=137799.0
Old 02-02-2015, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Ryan - Maybe we can do something about the lack of a historically-accurate Fuchida Kate.

Don - Although we have snow turning to rain, it looks like the roads will be clear tomorrow. Sure hope so, since I really want to see this bird and your other models.

Don
Old 02-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
The Modelik kit seems to be accurate...

DishModels.ru - ???? ????????? ??????????. ???????, ??????, ????????.
Google Adsense