PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The landing gear fairings (or 'Knuckles' in Curtiss parlance)

Petals are a PITA in general but these weren't any worse than normal. Space permitting I like to use a small circle of tissue or cigarette paper to back up the point and give a little more gluing area. Otherwise it's patience, cursing in several languages* and preforming as best you can before gluing.

French in this case, altho the only Polish I speak is "Beer" and "Aww, for @#$%'s sake!"
Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
I use this method to glue petals together - use small pieces of tape to tape each petal together from the inside. Then apply white glue to the seams of the petals on the outside. When dry, if you want the seams to not show, apply a thin layer of modelling putty over them . Sand when dry and paint appropriate color.

Very nice builds, Cecil and Chris.

Gee
Old 08-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Thanks for the kind words for my model. The funny thing about photos is that flaws show up that were'nt noticable before. Things like color mismatches, poor edge coloring etc. I'll be going back over this several more times to get stuff right. Or at least to where I won't want to throw it away and start over.

Right now I have several models that just don't seem to want to get finished, I hope this is not one of them.

Anyway Chris, about those darn petals. I made at lest three attempts before laminating the thin paper that I was using to a much heavier card stock. Luckily I had about four prints of this page already so I didn't feel to bad about the first three attempts. So keep at it, and just consider the ones that don't quite work as "practice". Shrike and Gee's suggestions are very good; I used all of those techniques except for the modeling clay. A bit of glue mixed with paint really helps to cover the seams and the parts that don't quite match up.

Hope this helps, After these knuckle parts the rest looks pretty workable.

Cecil
Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Ah, you've discovered the Amazing Fault Finding Lens! Happens every time, we all curse it from time to time. The important thing is that it pleases you in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil.Severs View Post
Thanks for the kind words for my model. The funny thing about photos is that flaws show up that were'nt noticable before. Things like color mismatches, poor edge coloring etc. I'll be going back over this several more times to get stuff right. Or at least to where I won't want to throw it away and start over.

Right now I have several models that just don't seem to want to get finished, I hope this is not one of them.

Anyway Chris, about those darn petals. I made at lest three attempts before laminating the thin paper that I was using to a much heavier card stock. Luckily I had about four prints of this page already so I didn't feel to bad about the first three attempts. So keep at it, and just consider the ones that don't quite work as "practice". Shrike and Gee's suggestions are very good; I used all of those techniques except for the modeling clay. A bit of glue mixed with paint really helps to cover the seams and the parts that don't quite match up.

Hope this helps, After these knuckle parts the rest looks pretty workable.

Cecil

Old 09-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Here are some photos of this almost finished model. After I took the pics I noticed a small missing part and some edge coloring that should be fixed. Close enough to post the pics though!

Hope you like them. Not to many close-ups as I think that I managed an "arms-length" build quality on this one.

I highly recommend this model for anyone who wants something a bit more challenging than the FG models but not quite in the Halinski range. One small criticism, the windscreen did not have all the required framing pieces. I realized this after I had installed it and had to add the two front framing pieces to make a realistic windscreen. Besides that, as you can see from the photos it is a fine model.

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
P-40 from PaperAirCraftWorks-p-40-01.jpg   P-40 from PaperAirCraftWorks-p-40-02.jpg   P-40 from PaperAirCraftWorks-p-40-03.jpg   P-40 from PaperAirCraftWorks-p-40-04.jpg   P-40 from PaperAirCraftWorks-p-40-05.jpg  

P-40 from PaperAirCraftWorks-p-40-06.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Very well done on the windscreen!

Question: what kind of print did you use for this model? Laser?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:23 PM

It was inkjet Epson CX3810. I did do a color correction on the files before printing them.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks good, Cecil! Great job!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Another great model of this plane. I am going to have to try one!