PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
MacSongli, Thanks, glad you found useful.

John O, it depends on the piece. Sometimes I do pick it up, others, I don't. But sure, I work the piece in my hands until I coax out the shape until I get there, or until I finally tear/rip it by too much flexing.

Don, Thanks for coming along on this ride. Always good to see a fimiliar face in the group.

I've been away for a couple of days an will continue with the build later today.

SFX
Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
I'll have to get myself some of those doll tools. I recently found one of my old press type (any old graphic designers out there will remember what that stuff was) burnishers that comes in handy but it is still rather flat. I really like the different size balls that are available. Getting a good curve on the B-17 nose parts is essential and those tools look very handy to get the job done.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dell View Post
I'll have to get myself some of those doll tools. I recently found one of my old press type (any old graphic designers out there will remember what that stuff was) burnishers that comes in handy but it is still rather flat. I really like the different size balls that are available. Getting a good curve on the B-17 nose parts is essential and those tools look very handy to get the job done.
hi John, thanks for stopping by.

Anybody that does card modelong needs to go to a Doll Shop, big or small and you'll find many tools that you can use in card modeling.

I get catalogs from all kinds of companies who's products i've never even or knew that they existed, you never know what will do the job.

The sizes vary from ~4mm - 35mm dia. in about 5 mm increments. Don' remember clearly as that was many moon ago.

later,
Swampfox
Old 04-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Before I got derailed by that last little tutorial, I was trying to get this next batch of images loaded.

This is just a group of images of the final shaping and gluing of the nose plexi. I realize that the picts are a little on the darker side. This is because I was trying to show the seams and the finer details of the gluing together of the Plexi nose and kept my lights angle somewhat low. I'm not sure I didn't quite get what I wanted.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-plex-nose0-700.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-plex-nose1-700.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-plex-nose2-700.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-plex-nose3-700.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-plex-nose4-700.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-plex-nose5-700.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-plex-nose6-700.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-plex-nose7-700.jpg

In my opinion, this is one of the more difficult pieces in the kit to get looking right. It took me 4 attempts to get it to this point. Once you get it figured out it will finally get "That Look" that you know it's correct.

I'm still not happy with the final result and this may not the one I finally use.

Anyway, here are the images and please make any and all comments to me.

SFX
Old 04-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Front fuselage

I have taken more photos of the beginning of this build, however, it's nowhere to be found at the moment. It just included a few more details of the build. I think I can do what I wanted to show in another post, in the next few days.

These images show how I start construction.........from front to back, numbered from lower to higher.. This model is the first one I've ever tried using the inner tabs that don't leave a visible seam on the models exterior. They are on Sheet 19 of this kit. After a couple of false starts I got the hang of the system and I was off to the races.

I will post these with a few more comments than I've been making so far.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-1.001tabs-removed-500.jpgOriginal tabs removed, wth replacements ready to glue in place.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-2.002tabs-replaced-500.jpgReplacement tabs being glued in place.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-3.00.section-rolled-500.jpgPre-shaped

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-4.00non-pynup-side-500.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-5.00pynup-art-front-500.jpg

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-6.00complete-nose-section-fm-8-500.jpgI will insert a cardboard disk anywhere in the fuselage I think useful. Often in areas that I have a tendency to pick up from.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-7.0nose-fm-top-front-500.jpg

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-8.00tabs-removed-side-view.flat-ad-500.jpg
"finished" nose sections dry fit.
Notice that the typical Curved Astrodome is not installed, and is replaced with a FLAT piece of Plexi material.

I'm not positive, but I think this is the first time that this detail has been included in a scale model.

There are some other interesting "Markings" changes that have been included in this latest version of "Little Miss Mischief".

Enjoy,
SFX

My next posting should be the bomb bay area, exterior and maybe interior. I haven't yet decided if I'll include it in this build. It is a model onto itself.

I need to make a decision.....................soon.

SFX
Google Adsense
Old 04-12-2015, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
The fit is fantastic, beautiful work!

Did you use any spray on the cardstock before you started to build?

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Thanks. I'm glad it's showing well.

I clear spray EVERY page that passes through my printer. an ancient EPSON Photo 1400.

I use a Spray from my local Tru Value, called premiumDECOR Clear Satin, where ever I think needs a bit of protection. Let dry for a couple of hours and the lightly sand the sprayed areas with a clean, fresh piece of steel wool-000 or 0000. It removes shiny areas where the spray got too heavy.

Any other questions, fire away.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
SFX,

Thanks for the tip with the steel wool, I'll have to try that one! Much appreciated.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 04-15-2015, 11:53 AM

Bomb Bay Compartment

We're at a decision point in this build.

Do you want to open the Bomb Bay doors or leave them closed? Your choice!!??

If your going to leave them closed up so that you can't see their contents, you can leave for now and move to the next section.

If your Planning on leaving the bomb bays open. Keep in mind that there are almost 75 fairly small parts that fit into the 2"x1.25" space.

1. BE Patient with yourself and the model.
2. Have lots of fresh new n0.11 blades, or what ever you use for cutting parts out,
3. This bomb bay unit is a fairly tight fit into the bomb bay area. It has to slide in from the back of the model and needs to be built at the exact right size to make that fit.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-exterior-bb-500.jpg,B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-alumnum-front-end-500.jpg
The bomb bay area from outside, and attached to the front of model.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-01-500.jpg
The Bomb Bay compartment is made up of 3 larger pieces. The main cylinder room(wall) and the front and back bulkhead.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-bb-3-piece-500.jpg
It's very easy to cut out, pre-shape, and applying glue to the appropriate areas. The kit comes with 2 pieces with a square cut in the center of each for easier handling. I didn't realize they were in the kit so I used 2 disks cut to size.

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-04-500.jpg
I replaced the kits control surface wire pulleys with small pieces of red tubing that I found in the scrap box. It adds a bit of color and it's a bunch easier than rolling those tiny pieces from the kit.

The pictographic instructions are excellent and are easy to understand and follow.

I'm going to submit a number of pictures in small groups, I'll make comments as I see necessary, AND you guys can also submit any questions that I'm not being clear about.
B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-bomb-rack-set-500.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-interior-racks-500.jpg

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-outer-rack-500.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-center-rack-500.jpg
Cut out Bomb Rack, finished bomb rack (Small rack)

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-bb-pullys-parts-500.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-bomb-pully-500.jpg
Bomb Hoist

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-brack-walk-way-uncut-500.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-ww-assembled1-.-500.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-ww-assembled3-.-500.jpgB-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-ww-assembled2-.-500.jpg
Various views of the walkway and structural supports.
Took longer to cutout and fold than almost all the rest of pieces in bomb bay!!

B-17G Little Miss Mischief 1:48 Build-dsc03006-500.jpg
One of about a dozen bomb shackles

That about does it for the interior parts of the bomb bay. Not really difficult as long as you have a good pair of tweezers, bright light and a steady hand.

I will install all these pieces into the bomb bay and then install the bomb bay into the fuselage and have picts to show, next thread.

SFX
Old 04-16-2015, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
You certainly will need a decent pair of tweezers if you plan to add all the bomb bay details.

While doing research for the bomb bay I found that some aircraft had some of the frame work painted. I also discovered in many photos that the Alcad aluminum skin had stenciling on the inside surface of the skin. If anyone is interested I can add these details to some of the future releases, just to add some variety.

Google Adsense

Tags
b-17g, build, john dell, little miss mischief, lmm